PDA

View Full Version : GOS Meet the Artist: Dave Govett: Questions from forum members invited

Garritan
04-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Our third in a series of GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interviews will feature Dave Govett. Dave was the very first person to use GigaSampler and he has been with Nemesys before GigaSampler hit the shelves. Dave is a world-recognized expert on GigaSampler/Studio and knows this amazing sampling technology better than anyone. He is also a gifted composer and it is an honor to have him as our guest.

We are now inviting questions for Dave from forum members. If you have any questions you would like to ask Dave; if you want to know about the beginnings of GigaStampler, getting the most out of GS, tips & techniques, or anything else; please post your questions here or email them to me at [email protected]

Once we gather your questions, they will be presented to Dave and we will then post his responses in interview form.

Thank you for your interest and participation. Let the questions for Dave begin!

Maestro Gary

Phattlippz
04-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Hi Dave! I was wondering if you could give us a hint of things to come with Gigastudio. What developments are happening for future releases?

KingIdiot
04-25-2002, 07:58 PM
While at Nemesys, when did you think giga finally \"took off\"?

Where do you see Sampling in the near future?

In the not so near future?

Why do you think Giga seems to have been \"picked up\" by (maybe just vocal) orchestral composers and not by other composers who use hardware samplers?

Are there any things you see in Gigastudio/sampler that you look back on and think you would have tried to get the team to do differently?

What do you think are the limits of samples/sampleplayback?

What do you think of Physical Modeling?

Hans Adamson
04-26-2002, 12:25 AM
Hello Dave,

Thanks for giving us the opportunity.

I am curious about the scoop of your upcoming Giga tutorial. Since you have been part of the developing team for the software, will you go into details such as: How the response curves actually work considering the sample amplitude, sample attenuation, and midi velocity?

At the moment I always wind up trying every possible alternative, before choosing a setting.

Also: Will you include information about how the midi numbers in the frequency settings for filters correspond to actual frequencies?

A tutorial that would shed some light on the inner works of GigaStudio would be great. A lot of the work in programming an instrument is pure empirical work without this information.

Any other info about the tutorial would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hans

Kobb
04-26-2002, 12:57 AM
Dave,

Could you give us a quick synopsis about your past experiences with music technology and how you came to be one of the giga gurus?

Also...

Here\'s the old standard: Just curious what\'s running in your studio and why you like to work with that specific equipment? (how many giga machines and how they\'re set up; other samplers (BLASPHAMY!!); sequencer/audio program; board; controllers; etc.)

And...

I had read somewhere that your live demonstrations of GOS at NAMM were pretty amazing. Could you share some of your techniques for getting the most realism out of a live performance using GOS and other giga libraries.

And finally...

WWWHHHHHAT is your favorite color?!!!

Thanks in advance, Dave. Looking forward to the tutorial. And thank you Gary for setting up these interviews - I enjoyed reading the replies of your previous guests.

Garius
04-26-2002, 05:14 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for participating in the Forum. These interviews have been very helpful to many of us.

First, let me say that Gigasampler technology is one of most exciting advances for composers in years. Your work with Nemysis will allow many composers to make a better living by making better sounding music, and that is a real contribution. Thanks!

My question is:

Are there plans for any Giga seminars? It would be great to get an intensive over a day or 2?

Thanks Again,
Garius Hill
Musecycle Media

steve_t
04-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi,
Since alot of GS users have a dedicated Giga computer it would be nice if there could be somekind of network solution for connecting the GS computer to the Sequenser computer.
Is that something possible and something you are working on?
Maybe something like Steinberg´s VST System Link.

Robert Kral
04-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Firstly, congratulations on your work developing the Gigasampler / Gigastudio. This is indeed a very exciting time to be in midi music production! Having come from a background of constantly worrying about memory and midi channel limitations, Giga is a total God-send!

Can you share with us some of the background story behind the invention of Gigastudio?

Do you realise that Gigasampler / Gigastudio has got to be the biggest, most important step forward in electronic music production since midi? If not, that\'s at least how I feel about it!

Gigasampler gave us 16 midichannels, then Gigastudio gave us 64. Can the software ever be expanded to include more midi ports?

Gigasampler did not appear to me to be a quick overnight success, but now seems to have really taken off. Personally I felt a lot of high end users were initially very sceptical. Were you surprised that it\'s acceptance by midi users was so gradual?

What type of work are you now involved in?

Was there a favorite period of time you look back on during Giga\'s early days?

Thanks!

SteveHanlon
04-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi Dave,

It is probably a mutual feeling among most PC users that Windows is a sad excuse for an OS for multimedia.

Was there ever a time that you thought to go with the Mac OS instead of Windows? If so, what prevented you?

Have you ever had dreams of creating an OS/sampler/sequencer stand alone that would meet the multimedia user\'s dreams. (There are a lot of stand alone hard disk recorders but never have seen them integrated with a midi sequencer and sampler and OS in one package).
I for one would buy such a package of OS, sampler and sequencer if I knew it would be stable.
Any plans for such a project?

Neal Keane
05-01-2002, 01:08 AM
Hi Dave.
Please say something about the Tascam buy-out of Nemesys. What are Tascam\'s motives and directions for the product as you see it? Are there plans for a Gigastudio embedded system (ie. hard-disk recorder, or DSP card, or stand-alone sequencer, etc)? How much development is going on in Montebello?

Thanks very much!

Jeff Hurchalla
05-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for coming in to answer questions. I know you mostly for your work developing sample libraries and producing music demos, so I\'m curious about your opinions. Endless questions... what do you think are the most useful features that a sample library can offer you? What things are/could be powerful for sample users but are overlooked? Favorite sample libraries - what makes them great in your mind?
Could you share your philosophy for producing demos, and any helpful tricks?
Thanks again for the opportunity. Oh one other thing images/icons/smile.gif I know of your tutorial project.. are you doing composing as well since leaving Nemesys?

Garritan
05-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Maestros,
We will end the period for posting questions for Dave Govett on Tuesday, May 7th. At which time the questions will be presented to Dave and we will then post his answers in interview form. Until then, keep those questions coming.
Gary

EARLGREY
05-04-2002, 07:22 AM
Hello & thanks for the opportunity...

In the early days of Nemesys I surfed to the site and saw that there was a sort of hardware-version of the gigasampler in progress. Never heard of it since...(or was I delirious?)
Are there any plans of making a sort of an hardware-version. It would definitely end the era of the Yamaha\'s, Akai\'s etc.

peter269
05-06-2002, 12:02 PM
OK Dave, here are some questions to challenge you a bit.

1. On GigaHarp, you have a MIDI file that permits you to do harp glisses. However, this is not clearly documented in the package. So, what are the steps to execute this?

2. In DSP station, I\'d like to see you walk through the signal flow for applying the NFX effects in the Auxes, vs. as channel inserts.

3. The GigaStudio manual, at one time, discussed the cascading effect setup with the Auxes when using NFX. Could you clarify more what this means?

4. For the Ports, since GOS takes advantage of the MIDI control surface, could you give us a more clearer walk through of that. Other than GOS, I\'m not aware of other libraries that take advantage of this section of the board.

5. Under Settings ->Sampler, what are your suggested settings for the Buffer & Alter Transition voices for block chords?

6. What\'s the value of enabling or not enabling Dither type and why?

7. For the instrument editor, what are the five most common tweaks you see that commercial sample libraries need, and what are the general steps to execute them?

Thanks, Dave.

PatS
05-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Hi, Dave:

Thanks for taking time away from your tutorial project to answer these questions.

1. What are you composing these days?

2. Tell us a bit about your \"composing environment.\" For example, do you put pen to paper first?

3. In which styles and for which genres do you tend to write?

4. What haven\'t you done as a composer that you would like to accomplish before you . . . well, you know?

Cheers,

Pat

Bardstown Audio
05-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Hello Dave,

Congratulations on your accomplishments over the last few years with Giga Studio/Sampler, and also on your upcoming Tutorial program! I know it will be extremely helpful for many of us!

Kip

KingIdiot
05-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Hey Dave a couple more,

What do *YOU* wish you could do with samplers (no limits)?

with common sense limits?

Do you think that libraries are programmed to their fullest?

Do you think you could work with a 500k bank for a full song anymore?

I only ask that last one becaue you guys have spolied me images/icons/smile.gif I\'m on a projct that requires just that.....no reverb...and full interactive music....you guys have caused me MUCH frustration just because I NOW know it can be MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better.... If I only could stream from a hard disck... images/icons/tongue.gif

PaPa Chalk
05-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Hey Dave,
Being a top Guru on gigastudio must have you in position for many interesting things. This no doubt would make you a very busy person. What other projects have you been working on since Nemesys and are there any plans for gigastudio tours/seminars. Maybe we\'ll have you up our way soon. Thanks again for coming to and supporting our forums.

images/icons/smile.gif
PaPa Chalk

Damon
05-08-2002, 03:50 AM
Hello Dave,

First of all I\'d like to congratulate you and the rest of the team for the success of Gigastudio which has by far been one of the best purchases I have ever made.
I was wondering if there are any plans for creating a better reverb for Giga. NFX reverb is not bad, but was wondering if even a better reverb could be made for Gigastudio or possibly an effect like Cakewalks Soundstage for orchestral stuff.
Thanks for your time! images/icons/wink.gif

Damon Bradley

Garritan
05-09-2002, 09:16 AM
The questions have been presented to Dave and we will soon post his answers in interview form. Thanks for your participation
Gary