PDA

View Full Version : Linux as a platform for music composing?

hargal
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I've always liked the concept of Linux 'cause of its friendly use of system resources and its philosophy of free software. It's been a long time since I had a Linux installed on my computer because I couldn't find any music software that I could make any professional product out of. I also found the operating system a little hard to handle. (Such as installing software, etc)

Now, I am curios:
How has Linux been devoloped the last years?
Are there any software that will do the same job like Cubase, Kontakt and plugins such like Waves (compression, EQ, gate, reverbs).
Should I wait a few more years or is it time to forget about Windows XP and MacOS?

I will appecciate any comments :-)

Thanks in advance!

Sincererly,
Hargal

Tony Monaghan
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
There is definitley some room for improvement in the Linux audio world but I don't think its years away, more like months the way things are going. Check out some of the other threads in here for a taster of whats available, there are some interesting links.

I'll post some reviews when I get time to load up some of the distros and software packages.

hargal
11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the answer, Tony!
I will be looking forward to your links :-)

I've always liked the concept of Linux 'cause of its friendly use of system resources and its philosophy of free software. It's been a long time since I had a Linux installed on my computer because I couldn't find any music software that I could make any professional product out of. I also found the operating system a little hard to handle. (Such as installing software, etc)

Now, I am curios:
How has Linux been devoloped the last years?
Are there any software that will do the same job like Cubase, Kontakt and plugins such like Waves (compression, EQ, gate, reverbs).
Should I wait a few more years or is it time to forget about Windows XP and MacOS?

I will appecciate any comments :-)

Thanks in advance!

Sincererly,
Hargal