• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter solo strings-attn. VSL users

Share/Bookmark

Re: Kirk Hunter solo strings-attn. VSL users

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I think you\'re missing the whole point of the VSL tool.

The tool requires all interval samples to be present (that\'s 24 different intervals per note (!)) and if I\'m not mistaken Kirk Hunter didn\'t sample all those intervals.

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So then the intervals are not present with the tools, but with the orchestral cube?

Rick

Rick - there is no VSL solo violin yet, so I don\'t know where you heard that But.. when it gets done, I am sure it\'ll blow away everything else, because of the sampled intervals. Basically what you have with the legato programs of the Performance part of VSL is that all sustains are recorded with intonation covering one octave in both directions. So, if you play a G4, followed by a C5, the sample played after the G4 will be a C5, played as the player would play it going from G4. The same with all the other intervals.

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Btw, what VSL solo violin would that be? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No wonder that \"violin\" sounded so funky, they\'re \"violenen\"! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rick

RickD,

The VSL interval samples are NOT part of the tool. The tool is only filtering and adjusting incoming and outgoing midi information. The interval samples are in the Giga or EXS Performance Set patch, just like any other samples. They get triggered at the right place, at the right moment.

So it\'s not possible to use VSL interval samples with other libraries.

It is of course interesting to other developers to look for possiblities of sampling all these intervals and build their own tool! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Rick - there is no VSL solo violin yet, so I don\'t know where you heard that But.. when it gets done, I am sure it\'ll blow away everything else, because of the sampled intervals. Basically what you have with the legato programs of the Performance part of VSL is that all sustains are recorded with intonation covering one octave in both directions. So, if you play a G4, followed by a C5, the sample played after the G4 will be a C5, played as the player would play it going from G4. The same with all the other intervals.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the heads up Simon. I really like a lot about Kirk\'s solo strings. I recalled checking out Maarten\'s link to his VSL demo\'s page the other day and thought I had seen the word \"violin.\" And if their was a solo violin in one of those demo\'s, it didn\'t impress me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It turns out it was the German page, which had the German plural word \"violenen.\"

I guess I misunderstood some of the messages about the Performance tools then. I am really excited about the performance aspect of VSL, and from what I\'ve heard so far I really like the Brass and woodwind samples as a whole. I\'m not too sure about the strings though.

Rick

Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    RickD,

The VSL interval samples are NOT part of the tool. The tool is only filtering and adjusting incoming and outgoing midi information. The interval samples are in the Giga or EXS Performance Set patch, just like any other samples. They get triggered at the right place, at the right moment.

So it\'s not possible to use VSL interval samples with other libraries.

It is of course interesting to other developers to look for possiblities of sampling all these intervals and build their own tool! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Maarten! I look forward to your next interval sampled master piece, btw, I love the horns!

Rick

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    So, if you play a G4, followed by a C5, the sample played after the G4 will be a C5, played as the player would play it going from G4. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Simon,
    I _almost_ get what you\'re saying here, but I\'m not sure I\'ve quite understood. If you play a G4, you\'re ostensibly playing a G4 sample. Then when you play C5, are you somehow forcing GS to play some later part of the sample which has a movement to the C5? If so, then what happens when you play the next note? Are you still playing the G4 sample, but playing a different portion of it that moves to some other note, or have you somehow faded over to an actual C5 sample at some point, and when you play this new note, you play an actual movement in the sample from C5 to your new note?
    Hmmm....
    Gabriel

Hi Rick, yeah I\'ve been somewhat confused about the performance tools myself until just very recently. I think its gunna be just one of those kinds of things where you have to experience the thing to understand it. To that end, I\'m planning on selling off whatever I need to (student budgets and all) in order to test it out.

I am also absolutley thrilled with the KH solo stuff. I\'ve been playing with some early versions of the solo cello and viola, and they\'re simply incredible. They all retain the same great character and presence found in the violin, and with the programming finished, it\'ll be even more fun to sit down with them for hours on end (as I already find myself doing.)

I really think that libraries like this will be important for composers especially from here on out regarding vsl. Choices of \"which\" violin to use will distinguish your sound from other vsl owners (of which there will be many, I\'m sure.)

I\'m still planning on using the SI strings along with VSL, and SAM horns won\'t be going anywhere either. In fact, I\'ll be relying on those more than ever to help create a more unique sound from the orchestra. Even now I\'m still using some patches now and again from AO strings. But if the \"VSL orchestra\" is performing everyone\'s music these days, it\'ll be just that much more important that you try to get the \"RickD orchestra\" to perform yours.

I think libraries like the KH strings just became that much more important to the world of sampled music. Just as I believe whole-heartedly that the SAM Bones\'re just gunna have more satchel to \'em than the vsl. One thing\'s for sure though, after all I\'ve seen and heard of VSL, whatever combination I use will include it.

All intervals will be recorded in the solo library. Please note that with strings, especially solo strings, that such intervalic leaps are carried out in numerous ways. The required number of samples and articulations to complete this is vast.. You have fingered, bowed, etc etc etc......and the list goes on and on. Aditionally, there will be more legato samples to sound more natural. Please note that all the violin patches so far are beta. And if there are any special requests, now is the time to do so while I\'m still in the recording phase of this library.

Best,
    Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Kirk Hunter solo strings-attn. VSL users

I really like the solo violin, it\'s got a lot of potential. It\'s an excellent recording, IMO, and has good articulations. The Legato is the one weak point, but with tedious loving care I was able to overcome the woefully weak spot inbetween the notes.

I\'m wondering if any VSL users could try using the VSL Tools with the Kirk Hunter violin. I think that would sound a lot better than the VSL solo Violin.

Any Comments?

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Go Back to forum