• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT- windows 7 & Audio Burned

Share/Bookmark

OT- windows 7 & Audio Burned

I did a major system upgrade. Now I have 2 HDD 500Gb and 2 HDD 1 Tb. Plus a new ATAPI iHBBS112 2 ATA Blu Ray/CD Burner. Today I burned some audio to a CD -R. All programs I have read that Cd except Windows Media Player. When I insert a purchased CD it plays, but when I insert my own burned CD-R it doesn't play with Windows Media Player. Why not? I did some search for drivers, but that wasn't the problem.

What is happening?

Raymond

Re: OT- windows 7 & Audio Burned

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I did a major system upgrade. Now I have 2 HDD 500Gb and 2 HDD 1 Tb. Plus a new ATAPI iHBBS112 2 ATA Blu Ray/CD Burner. Today I burned some audio to a CD -R. All programs I have read that Cd except Windows Media Player. When I insert a purchased CD it plays, but when I insert my own burned CD-R it doesn't play with Windows Media Player. Why not? I did some search for drivers, but that wasn't the problem.

What is happening?

Raymond
    Congrats on the big system upgrade, Raymond!

As for the CD-R problem - You said "all programs I have read that CD except Windows Media Player." Does that mean you have other media players that will play the disc? If so - why worry about WMP not playing it? I never use that player anymore, deferring my audio and video playing needs to VLC - THE best media player in existence. Here's the link to it in case you don't have this - it's free, it's incredibly flexible and powerful. Negates the need for ever using WMP:

VLC Media Player

Randy

Thanks Randy. By all other programs I don't mean substitutes for Media Player, but e.g. SONAR, Adobe Audition. The latest rips the audio on the CD very well. But with the original Windows Media Player I can't get any result.
    By the way: the link isn't good anymore..... unknown page.
    I will look for VLC.

Raymond
    The upgrade included also going from 12 Gb RAM to 24 Gb.

Hello Raymond,

I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions to help with the problem you describe.

I just called by to add a plus to Randy's use of the VLC Player. I don't even contemplate using the Windows Media Player, never, full stop. I go as far as I can to disable WMP.

As Randy says, the VLC does everything WMP can do and more.

Here's the link (tested):

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

For burning CDs I always use the Sony CD Architect which I find excellent.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

...By all other programs I don't mean substitutes for Media Player, but e.g. SONAR, Adobe Audition. The latest rips the audio on the CD very well. But with the original Windows Media Player I can't get any result...
    Thanks for the clarification, Raymond - I'm glad to see Michael endorse VLC also - But he posted the same exact link I did. I wonder if it's not available world wide for some reason? It's made by the VideoLAN Organization - Look for that if you still need to search.

VLC is incredible - amazing that it's free.

Randy

Got rid of WMP and installed VLC. Now it is working. Thank you all.

Raymond

Got rid of WMP and installed VLC. Now it is working. Thank you all.

Raymond
    Great! You'll be happy. Look around at what all VLC can do. Lots of handy things.

Randy

Well, I downloaded and installed VLC and find it good, but I don't find it an improvement over Nero. It easily surpasses Windows Media Player, which I despise.

I would like to get WMP off my system, but I can't do it. I receive an error message informing me that it is in use by another person or program. Other person, definitely not. Other program? I can't discover any such thing. I removed all file associations, but nothing changed. Raymond, if you managed to remove it from you system, please tell me how.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I downloaded and installed VLC and find it good, but I don't find it an improvement over Nero. It easily surpasses Windows Media Player, which I despise.

I would like to get WMP off my system, but I can't do it. I receive an error message informing me that it is in use by another person or program. Other person, definitely not. Other program? I can't discover any such thing. I removed all file associations, but nothing changed. Raymond, if you managed to remove it from you system, please tell me how.

Richard
    --Nero? That's rather Apples and Oranges - VLC is a media player. Nero is for burning stuff.--

But there's no need to get rid of WMP which is rather entrenched in Windows. Just set VLC to be your default program for playing music and videos, and WMP will be ignored. It doesn't do any harm or take up any room to just leave it there. I've pretty much happily ignored it for years now.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --Nero? That's rather Apples and Oranges - VLC is a media player. Nero is for burning stuff.--

Randy
    No,no,non, nein,nyet! Nero has a media player very similar to VLC, quite good. I have been using it for many years because I can't abide WMP. It also has a good WAV editor, but since my sound card came with an audio editor, I usually use it. I think Nero also has a converter function, but I had other software first, and so continue to use it.

Nero also can rip and burn, make backups. But I only use the backup function for my data files, because my version of Nero is old, and what I am using does the job adequately

Richard

Go Back to forum