• Register
  • Help

Topic: Allegro and Rondo

Share/Bookmark

Allegro and Rondo

Well,now, this is an embryonic sonata. The middle movement is stubborn and cantankerous. So I shoved it in the corner till I can find a way to make it behave. Meanwhile, here are movements I and III. I don't really know why I have become, at least temporarily, somewhat conventional in my composing, but it will change again.

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway and Fatar keyboard.

Allegro

Rondo

Richard

Re: Allegro and Rondo

Hi Richard,

You did a terrific job with these two movements. I really like them so far. Let's hope the third part comes soon.

But there are a few minor points in my opinion: the piano lacks some brilliance (it sounds somewhat lustreless). In the Allegro, I would build in a couple of resting points where the performer can take it a bit easier. But also for the listener it is a little tiring to here all these endless (obstinate) rhythmic patterns. In the Rondo, there is more variation but the use of the keyboard range is rather limited (there are a few exceptions). Don't be afraid to explore the whole extent of the piano keyboard (even with doublings).

Thank you so much for sharing and keep up the good efforts!

Max

Well, Max, your comments are perceptive. You are right about the piano tone. I have been experimenting for a long time to find the best settings. My preference is very strongly for Baldwin grands. My own piano is a 6' 3" Baldwin grand, vintage 1928, overhauled and restrung by me as my last job before closing out my piano business.

I will think about the resting points again -- I considered it briefly as I wrote the music. The obstinate rhythmic patterns, as you call them, were quite intentional, and is a feature that I often use. But a little breathing space might work, if I can find a way to work it in.

The keyboard range was also very deliberate. I frequently use the entire keyboard range, and this time I compressed the range somewhat to make it a bit easier to play. However, I am thinking that the middle movement will be adagio, with a very wide range.

The middle movement is started anew nearly every day. I don't seem to be able to create something that fits in properly.

Like all my works, this will probably be revised forever.

Richard

This kind of perpetual motion seems to be a strong characteristic of your compositional style. I have been listening to your offerings for years and have always enjoyed your fearless exploration of rhythm and tonality.

Hi Richard,

Code:
    Like all my works, this will probably be revised forever.
    I know the feeling, I can never decide that a piece is complete, done, finished. Sometimes after many years, I pick up a so called finished work to tinker a bit more in it. The result? There's rarely an improvement and still...

Max

Go Back to forum