• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase - Giga Sampler: Any luck?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase - Giga Sampler: Any luck?

I am thinking about converting to Cubase. I have used Cakewalk from day one and to be quite honest, am well pleased with it\'s performance along side of Gigasampler. When I convert to audio and start to apply effects and mix, Cakewalk is rather cumbersome. Is anyone out there using Cubase flawlessly with Gigasampler. I have heard a lot of horror stories even from Cubase reps about the problems people are having with a Giga-Cubase combo. Peace.

Re: Cubase - Giga Sampler: Any luck?

Hello!
    I am running the C/GSt combo quite successfully with few problems.

My main problem is that after I updated the GSt to the new version the MIDI signal that comes into Cubase is sent not only to a selected channel of a selected port of GSt but also to the other port on the same channel and also to the channel 1 which does not go thru Cubase (= GSt does not switch off it\'s own MIDI when you launch the Sequencer). I have tried everything but to no improvement. Currently have to run only 16 channels and I have to mute all channels of port 2 in GSt because any program change sent from sequencer loads the instruments on both Ports and I end up with double volume. I also dissabled the MIDI ports in GSt. But it is quite obvious that there is a problem on the side of GSt driver because with other equipment Cubase works well. Probably time for Hubi\'s Loopback...

Apart from some crashes (my computer is probably not fast enough) I do not have too much more to complain about.
    But I am not sure if I would spend so much money on a new Sequencer and had to learn it from the beginning.
    Ondrej

Now that I think about. I think that I\'ll stick with Cakewalk since it is what I know and my system is performing well with it along with Giga. The reason why I was thinking about changing to cubase was that I didn\'t like the way effects have to be auditioned in Cakewalk as opposed to cubase. It really makes mixing and editing much harder. I think I\'ll stick with Cakewalk and after converting Giga tracks to audio I\'ll export them to wavelab for processing and finalizing in order to get my mixes sounding crisp. I agree that I really don\'t feel like learning another sequencer. Peace.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NAZARU:
    I am thinking about converting to Cubase. I have used Cakewalk from day one and to be quite honest, am well pleased with it\'s performance along side of Gigasampler. When I convert to audio and start to apply effects and mix, Cakewalk is rather cumbersome. Is anyone out there using Cubase flawlessly with Gigasampler. I have heard a lot of horror stories even from Cubase reps about the problems people are having with a Giga-Cubase combo. Peace.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It is very tough question for some beginer in MIDI-audio tools to choose the right one to use between Cubase, Logic and cakewalk. But you are not! because you are an expert in cakewalk. The bottom line is what you want to do and the tool is provided the needs for you or not? In a perfect world, I\'d be running a program that utilized the best of Cubase, Cakewalk, Logic, Performer, Cool Edit, Acid, Vegas, Samplitude, etc....Of course there is not many lucky user could afford to try all of those. It is costing you of time and money, about $800.00 for each completed package including plug-in-fx, I would spend it for better soundcards or a DSP outboard, even for CPU and memory in the systems. Truth is that there\'s not much difference between the majors in terms of function. (Of course, there are huge differences in user interfaces) It\'s just a matter of what features you use the most and which interface appeals to your ability to get to them quickly. And while, for example, I know that Logic and Samplitude are both great programs, the time spent in the learning curves of new applications is time I could better spend making music.
    Don\'t forget the most of important to make sure to meet the hardware requirement for the GigaStudio like CPU speed? Memory? Video? of course your soundcard is GSIF compatible or not and how many GSIF output channels? 16 or 32? do you have hardward DSP for effect-processing and/or DSP digital mixing out-boards? effect out-boards, etc.

The main reason that I wouldn\'t like to see you spend more bucks and time for other tools, you might get same probems or even worse, who knows...

Let\'s hear some more of other \"Real-Pro\'s opinion\" about the cakewalk, just like you that He did try other tools then finally, he gave up...See as follow:
    =========================================
    I am running CW9 with about 36 tracks of audio currently with no worries. I have the 2408 feeding my 8000. I am in bliss. The midi is great, and the audio runs fine too.
    My only complaint is i cannot control cakewalk with these nifty trasport buttons on my console.
    I have tried Logic with each upgrade (demo versions). I dont like it, it is not laid out user friendly. You really have to know the manual to run the SW. I know a guy that has spent 6 months with it and claims he is just now getting to figure it out! NO THANK YOU! CW takes about 10 minutes. I am cutting an incredible album and CW9 is doing fine.\"
    =========================================
    Thanks DCMIX for this.
    I\'m using the cakewalk since 1993/1994 (don\'t remember when with the windows 3.x), I think cakewalk has integrated audio to it since CW8 and now I have CW9+FX1~3+MIDI-enhanced-tools. Honestly, the calkwalk Fx3 reverb effect-processor is awesome, compare to the NFX, I can say sorry to Nemesy the NFX is not even close. I have remixed the song last year which was using three soundcards (Kuzweil+YamahaXG+SoundCanvasGS) about 10 audio track+ 22 MIDI tracks using the Fx1~3 for the Vocal and percusion tracks without any problems. (when I didn\'t have the Giga and Pulsar yet)

The conclusion is might be an idea to try all the demo versions you can, read as many of the users\' groups as possible, and decide on one. Learn it, use it. (Thanks Daniel@Tascam)

Good lucks,
    LHong

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 08-06-2000).]

Go Back to forum