• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Performance or Cube

VSL Performance or Cube

If you had to buy either the performance set or the cube but couldnt afford both , which would you get.

Re: VSL Performance or Cube

I believe the most innovative and realistic sounding samples are in the performance set -- the legato tool. If I had the cash for this thing, that is what I would get.

Perhaps VSL should make a good comparison chart on their website, because these questions will keep popping up, while the Cube and the Performance Set are two completely different things!

ORCHESTRAL CUBE: normal multi-samples, like we all know them. Sustains, marcatos, staccatos, tremelos, pizzicatos, etc. etc. etc.

PERFORMANCE SET: the special stuff - the tool-powered legato interval-switching, performed repetitions, runs, glisses, effects, etc.

So \"do I have staccatos if I buy just the Performance Set\": NO, because staccatos are multi-samples.

If you already have a collection of orchestral multisamples (Vitous, AO, DD, etc.) you will certainly gain the most extra EXPRESSION by going for the Performance Set. But as said, the Performance Set is a special thing, not a normal full orchestra library. That\'s the Cube.

Perhaps this can be interesting: if you look at my VSL demos on the VSL site, each demo shows the exact list of VSL patches I used. So just listen to the music, think of what in there you would like to be able to sequence owning VSL, and check the list wether that\'s Cube or Performance.

Hope this clears things up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One particular thing I liked was the intervals. The trumpet intervals were pretty phenomenal, and sounded absolutely realistic. ABSOLUTELY realistic. I play trumpet, and I couldn\'t hear a difference. Same goes for the clarinet. I wonder if orchestral instrumentalists are at all nervous because of this.

Of course the Cube is great!

But I have both the Cube and the Performance Set, and although the Cube is excellent recordings, great sound and LOTS of choice, it\'s the Performance Set that makes VSL really revolutionary. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten: very, very well done, as usual! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I completely agree with Aaron, the realism is sometimes shocking compared with the libraries we have used until now.

Peter / emano

Go Back to forum