• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 5 And JABB Modulation Noise Issue

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 5 And JABB Modulation Noise Issue

I was experiencing noise when using modulation with JABB 2 and Kontakt 5 in two separate DAWs so I upgraded to JABB 3 for Aria and the problem is now resolved. The Garritan Concert and Marching Band also has the same issue with Kontakt 5.

Here's a short file of JABB 2 Bb Clainet 1 using Kontakt 5.

JABB Clarinet 1 Kontakt

Here's the same file of JABB 3 Bb Clarinet 1 using Aria.

JABB 3 Bb Clarinet 1 Aria

Phil

Re: Kontakt 5 And JABB Modulation Noise Issue

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I was experiencing noise when using modulation with JABB 2 and Kontakt 5 in two separate DAWs so I upgraded to JABB 3 for Aria and the problem is now resolved...l
    --maybe I'm not awake enough, still on my first cuppa Java this morning - But I don't hear any difference, Phil.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    --maybe I'm not awake enough, still on my first cuppa Java this morning - But I don't hear any difference, Phil.

Randy
    I couldn't here it either Randy. How about now. Use your headphones.

I couldn't hear it either Randy. How about now. Use your headphones.
    --OK, listened again on headphones. Still no difference. Did you swap out the earlier MP3s? If so - no pereceived difference.

Maybe you're talking about having some kind of noise interference only when playing MIDI tracks live, before mixing your 2-track master?

Randy

Randy,

I do hear it now. You have to have the volume up pretty high to hear it. It's a low frequency crackle like noise.

If I draw in modulation it's very noticeable but this is using the mod wheel.

Phil

Randy,

I do hear it now. You have to have the volume up pretty high to hear it. It's a low frequency crackle like noise.

If I draw in modulation it's very noticeable but this is using the mod wheel.
    Phil
    Ah! Heard it now, with volume way up. Yeah, low level crackling. Bummer. Well, it's good you've finally upgraded to ARIA JABB anyway! - The other thing with both of these MP3s is the same really strong attack, probably done with high velocities and no legato action, but that has nothing to do with what you're demonstrating.

Believe it or not, I've stuck with KP2. I have KP4, but hardly ever use it. I use ARIA, but have KP2 for the two solo string Libraries. Awhile back I finally uninstalled the old versions of GPO, JABB and COMB, since I wasn't using them and they were just taking up room. But they were still working fine in KP2.

Randy

well, it is actually pretty noticeable. And pretty weird, too.
    I do not have a clue but the crackle is definitely there. Logically these are the same samples playing, so samples are clean. A crackling like that doesn't resemble the distinctive clicks caused by wrong loop points/starting points et similia.
    Modwheel programming doesn't involve things that could cause that crackle. Nowadays, at least: I do not know how was it programmed way back in Kontakt.
    It would be interesting to know whether others have experienced the same behaviour.

In your case it is now useless to investigate as you went for Aria, but if I would be you I'd look into your kontakt installation. Maybe updating the player (or downgrading, one never knows....).

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Ah! Heard it now, with volume way up. Yeah, low level crackling. Bummer. Well, it's good you've finally upgraded to ARIA JABB anyway! - The other thing with both of these MP3s is the same really strong attack, probably done with high velocities and no legato action, but that has nothing to do with what you're demonstrating.

Randy
    That's why I didn't notice it at first when using the mod wheel. I wonder if you can increase the legato in JABB 3 with any of the Aria controls? I really didn't have much attack on most of the notes and they were overlapping each other.

Believe it or not, I've stuck with KP2. I have KP4, but hardly ever use it. I use ARIA, but have KP2 for the two solo string Libraries. Awhile back I finally uninstalled the old versions of GPO, JABB and COMB, since I wasn't using them and they were just taking up room. But they were still working fine in KP2.
    I tried going back to Kontakt 4 but it quickly crashes in OSX 10.8.3. I haven't really tested the G.Strad with Kontakt 5 yet. I own LASS First Chair but I think the Strad can still be useful in a mix.

It's much easier to navigate and load the instruments in Aria but if your mixing the older Garritan libraries with similar named instruments I don't see a way to easily tell which library it comes from besides some subtle instrument name differences. Just a small icon in the player boxes would work.

I'll probably redo Free using Aria and JABB 3 and see if sounds any different.

Phil

Fab,

I do have the very latest full Kontakt version which is 5.1. I'm using about ten other libraries besides the Garritan libraries with Kontakt 5.1 and they seem to work just fine. It might be a Mac OSX specific issue but I am stuck with Kontakt 5.1 and with no support from either developer now it's easier just to upgrade.

Note: The Garritan Strad seems to be unaffected and works fine.

Phil

... it is actually funny but I noticed that VLC player running in Ubuntu 12.4 with very recent kernel update does the same noise when using the volume slider. Just VLC, no other audio program.
    Strange... and considering that MacOs and Linux share a fair amount of functionality, there's definitely something going on with the interaction between some particular software and the OS audio driver.
    Well... nothing that simple users like us can do, I guess.

Fab

Go Back to forum