• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Under the Influence of Love

Share/Bookmark

Under the Influence of Love

I wanted a piece to work on engineering and as a learning tool for developing skills in Sonar X2 Producer. This is the end result. It features the GPO Steinway. Other instruments are JaBB Electric Piano, Electric Guitar, and Bass. The vocals are from SampleTank 2.5. They are the free female voice that Randy Bowser had introduced me to (Thanks Randy ).

The piece was developed in Band in a Box and then engineered in Sonar X2.

I hope you enjoy Under the Influence of Love.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Under the Influence of Love

Hey, Rich! This is a really pleasant, breezy piece of mellow jazzy pop you've cooked up here. Great project for yourself, working on your Sonar production chops with it.

Great use of that SampleTank female voice! I'm glad you followed through on the info I posted about that, and set it up on your computer. All of the instruments/sounds they hand out in the free version of SampleTank are useful. Good deal.

Hot piano licks throughout this! Are some of these generated through BiaB's magical tools?

Nice compressed bass sound. Very solid, gluing the production together.

There are interesting suspended moments sprinkled throughout - that repeating part took me by surprise each time.

What drums did you use? And what synth is way over on the right at a low level? One of the Sonar synths, I take it?

You've done a lot of EQ on the otherwise muted sounding GPO Steinway. You got it up to that bright, pop sound you wanted. Reminds me of when I first got GPO and generally needed a brighter sounding piano, so was constantly EQing that instrument to my liking. Did you audition the JABB piano which has stereo samples? It's a brighter, jazzier piano - the only issue with it is that the stereo image is very wide and sounds better when it's narrowed down with something like Sonar's Channel Tools plugin.

I'd sure call this a success - bet it was fun, Rich!

Randy

Randy said:
    What drums did you use? And what synth is way over on the right at a low level? One of the Sonar synths, I take it?
    I forgot to mention the drums. They are Session Drummer 3 and are all on separate instrument tracks with their own EQ and compression. The synth you are referring to I believe is the JaBB Electric Guitar. It has been put thorugh Guitar Rig 4 to get me the sound that I was after.

I did not check out the JaBB Steinway but I will. I prefer the GPO Steinway and feel I can get the sounds that I want with the proper EQ and Reverb.

Thanks for listening and also the insight on that vocal sound from SampleTank. It took a little getting used to in order to figure out how to get it to sound smooth which I was at least partially successful at.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...The synth you are referring to I believe is the JaBB Electric Guitar. It has been put thorugh Guitar Rig 4 to

get me the sound that I was after...
    Thanks for the replies, Rich - I listened again, and can now hear the "mystery sound" as a guitar. Thanks for clearing that up. I get it - you have some amp sim setting that emphasizes the mid range, and I think with a wah effect. I couldn't tell it was a guitar earlier because it's really low in the mix, making its identity obscure to me. I think I was primarily hearing the electronic FX, making me think it could be a Sonar synth.

I think it would be a worthy experiment to hear what happens with that up higher. If we could catch more sonic clues about its guitar-ness, we would have less doubt about what it is. When I listened just now, I felt it could be a great deal louder, but only testing can tell that for sure. I will add that the JABB electric guitar is a very simple, bland set of samples. It is difficult to get more natural sounding results with it.

Here's a quick and easy version of the kind of treatment that gives an electric guitar more dimension and presence in a mix: Copy the track, shift it in time a bit, and throw it to the opposite side of the stereo field. Which ever copy you want to be the one determining position needs to be the louder of the two. The softer copy would be the one shifted to come in later as a subtle slap-back echo. Fills the sound out nicely. Fun to try, easy to set up.

Thanks again for sharing the very cool project, Rich.

Randy

Thanks Randy for the suggestion. I tried as you had mentioned on the echo of the guitar part. I am not sure it was all that successful but it does stand out in the mix more.

Rich

This was a nice mellow jazz type tune.

I think it all worked together quite well.

Band-In-A-Box is on my buy list- sooner or later. It looks like you can buy it several times.

Was the piano solo from BiaB or did you sequence it?

Phil

It's been a long,long time since I've had the pleasure of hearing one of your pieces Rich. I like the overall sound of this, both compositionally and instrumentally. I just heard about Sample Tank vocals from Randy too and it's great to have another piece using these samples. I can't believe they're free.

And of course I really liked all those piano licks in the middle part of the composition....wonder why that is? Very inventive without feeling forced...just plain fun!!

You have such a wide pallet of compositional styles, and very good at all of them. Something I'm a bit envious of because my music more or less sounds always the same. Lots of talented people on this forum. I'm always reminded on how fortunate I am to have discovered this forum.

My best,

Cass

Hey Rich, it sounds better than the ones you sent me. You must have done some more DAW on them.

NICE!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Phil,

This was a nice mellow jazz type tune.
    I think it all worked together quite well.
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to this. It does have that mellow quality and it was certainly fun to put it all together.

Band-In-A-Box is on my buy list- sooner or later. It looks like you can buy it several times.
    Was the piano solo from BiaB or did you sequence it?
    Biab can certainly be a helpful tool but you will still have to take it as a starting point. It lacks the finesse and form development that can only be developed in a DAW. I chop parts from the Band-In-A-Box midi file to fit my needs when I am using Sonar.

The piano solo was a BiaB developed solo but I had BiaB do some sections of it over again until I got the sound and feel that I wanted. (It's sort of like having a live player do multiple takes and then I as the engineer/producer pick the takes that work the best.)

Thanks again for listening.

Rich

Rich! This definitely sounds like a POP piece. I like it. I have band in the box but don't use it very much. You seem to have been able to use it as a nice aid for creating your music. Thanks for the post. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast