• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dead links

Share/Bookmark

Dead links

Hi!

Seems like all the links in tutorials are dead.
    Please update.

Thanks!

Re: Dead links

Quote Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
    Hi!

Seems like all the links in tutorials are dead.
    Please update.

Thanks!
    I think you're referring to the dead links as brought up in this recent thread. As of the last posting there, MM is aware of the problem and they're working on getting things fixed:

What happened to the online-orchestration (tutorials)?

Randy

Thank you, G-Sun - Yes, it would appear that all links are broken that originally went to garritan.com and then to a sub-category, like "Tutorial." When Make Music recently unveiled their newly designed website, with the Garritan product pages under their umbrella for the first time, it looks like all other Garritan related pages were left remaining for porting over later. My understanding from the thread I posted here earlier is that the plan is to keep moving more previous Garritan pages over. Changing locations online is never a snap.

Randy

Yes.
    Was eager to read "The Online Orchestration",
    and flute-tutorial.
    But it will have to wait until links are fixed.

BTW: Checked out your Dorian​-​The Remarkable Mister Gray.
    Quite impressive!

Do you have a description of your workprocess with it anywhere,
    and what tools you've used?

G-Sun said: "...BTW: Checked out your Dorian?-?The Remarkable Mister Gray. Quite impressive!

Do you have a description of your work process with it anywhere,and what tools you've used?..."

Hey, nice, G-Sun - I'm glad you discovered my "Dorian" and that you're curious about it.

In 2007, shortly after I joined this Forum, I spent a year posting the numbers from the show one at a time. Part of the discussion was on how I'd worked on the music and recorded it. That was all informal discussion, of course, but otherwise, I don't really have a concisely stated description of my process on that project.

I'll say this - Producing the the tracks for "Dorian" was my first project using software synths. Previous to that I was using my hardware synth modules. Then one day soon after I'd finished one version of all the "Dorian" recordings, I discovered GPO and was blown away by the demos. In short order, I made the decision to completely re-do the tracks, using GPO instead of my synths.

A few years later - I was finished. -- !

I had no idea what a major undertaking I was launching into - not only re-doing the tracks, but learning how to use GPO in the process. It did indeed literally take years to do, and it was pretty much my full time task. Now it's been so many years since doing the tracks, naturally I'm aware of all sorts of things I could do better now. But in retrospect, it's not as if I'm displeased with the results. We're all critical of our work as we get more distance from it.

Tools - It was almost all GPO, recorded in Sonar. Since I'd written the show for an orchestra plus a pop combo, I still used some synth modules for the drums, bass, and guitars. This was at the time when GPO was the only Garritan Library available, before JABB, COMB, and the rest. Otherwise, I would have used JABB instruments to fill out the pop combo needs. Various synthesizer sounds and textures are used throughout the show, so those would still need to be from sources other than Garritan if I did these tracks now.

Actually, I did a new version of the tracks a couple of years ago. When I first did this project, I had no care in the world if what I'd written could be done by an actual live orchestra. My intention had always been for the recordings to be used in performance, and so far, the productions of the show have used those tracks. But I knew if there came a time when a live orchestra/band would be used, then I'd have to work backwards and generate some written scores. Heaven knows how large the orchestra would be if my recordings were taken literally - probably 60 pieces, plus the pop band, and a bank of synths. Impossible. Even big pro shows on Broadway are usually done with modest sized ensembles nowadays.

So, I re-scored "Dorian" for a 12 piece band - still larger than would be practical in a lot of situations. But I just couldn't bring myself to whittle down my orchestration any more than that. It's possible that a Hollywood production will be emerging, and they would probably use a band of no more than 4 musicians. I can't imagine reducing and adapting the score for a combo like that - One or two keyboards cleverly carrying many various parts would have to be part of what happens. But I'll leave all that to a production's music director. After the years I've spent working and re-working this score - I'm done!

Anyway--there's some "Dorian" info for you. Thanks for asking.

Randy

Thanks Randy!

It must have been a huge amount of work

I'll watch the videos from 2008. But it would be awesome to compare with a professional production with a resonable live band. Is the russian version with live band? Or real recordings?

The score will always have to be adjusted to the surcomstances of a specific production, wan't it?

Right now I'm arranging for a faritale CD for children,
    and I have to think of what's gonna be vst, what'll be real instruments. And later I guess I'll rewrite everything for stage. But, I'm not sure of the format yet

Anyway, wery inspiring to see your work.

Thanks!
    Geir

Hello again, Geir

Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel - and also for the Garritan Forum Friendship request. I'm not sure if that's working though. I know it was never used much. I've been here on the Forum since the end of 2006, and yours is only the 3rd Friends request I've ever gotten! I clicked to accept - not sure if it went through. If it didn't work, it's as I'm saying - it may not be functioning properly.

...I'll watch the videos from 2008. But it would be awesome to compare with a professional production with a resonable live band. Is the russian version with live band? Or real recordings?...
    So far there hasn't been a production using a live band. In Russia, even though it's a professional production, they based their tracks on mine, augmenting them with heavier bass and drums. The group doing the show there is rather pop oriented and they wanted the music more pop/punchy.

Right now I'm arranging for a faritale CD for children, and I have to think of what's gonna be vst, what'll be real instruments. And later I guess I'll rewrite everything for stage. But, I'm not sure of the format yet

Anyway, wery inspiring to see your work.

Thanks!
    Geir
    That's great, Geir, that you're writing a CD for children. That must be a fun project!

It's very nice to hear that my work is inspiring you, and it's equally nice of you to let me know. Thanks!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello again, Geir

Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel - and also for the Garritan Forum Friendship request. I'm not sure if that's working though. I know it was never used much. I've been here on the Forum since the end of 2006, and yours is only the 3rd Friends request I've ever gotten! I clicked to accept - not sure if it went through. If it didn't work, it's as I'm saying - it may not be functioning properly.
    Garritan Forum Friendship reques: Yes, wasn't expecting to much from it. But thanks anyway

Thanks!

Garritan Forum Friendship reques: Yes, wasn't expecting to much from it. But thanks anyway

Thanks!
    Hi, Geir - I think that Forum Friendship thing did go through after all. Another Forum member, seeing this thread, must have taken pity on me for having so few friends ->sniff sniff< and sent me a request. This time when I said Yes to both him and you, it seemed to go through. I don't think there's any particular advantage to having official Friends here - we're all friends!--but there it is, I think we're official now!

Randy

Go Back to forum