• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Opus 1 ? Wow... um.. wow.

Share/Bookmark

VSL Opus 1 ? Wow... um.. wow.

Hey all, long time no see [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So, I heard the Opus 1 demo, and was blown away. Wow. For $990, you get THAT kind of sound? And it seems you get the full orchestra, AND legato for the instruments that need it (strings, winds, brass), and you even get the articulations like pizzicato, staccato, trills, tremolos, etc.

So can someone tell me exactly how they shrunk VSL Perf Set & Orch Cube down into Opus 1? What are we missing here, dynamic layers, velocity layers?

Also, I have to question my purchasing decisions within the next six months. $990 is a damn good price to get all that stuff. SAM Trumpets and Westgate Winds (full) will run me just about $400. Don\'t get me wrong... SAM Trumpets rocks, and Westgate Woodwinds sound great too. But am I better off just buying Opus 1? Nothing beats VSL legato...

I suppose the most important question of this post is, what was cut from these samples to produce Opus 1 from the same sample set that comprise VSL?

Thanks for any info. I\'ll be reading responses & replying, then going back into dormancy again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'ll probably become more active in the music scene in a month or two, I\'ll be writing brand new material to put on my demo CD for GDC next year.

Feel free to drop me a line if you wanna chat: http://www.samhulick.com/contact.asp

Take care!

Re: VSL Opus 1 ? Wow... um.. wow.

Another point for a few of us who are on Macs. GPO has a legato tool/alternator in the Kontakt player that will work as a VST instrument on a Mac. We can easily import Giga libraries into Halion and other soft-samplers in OS-X, but the Giga VSL will leave us wanting.

The EastWest Gold edition comes with the same Kontakt player as GPO, so maybe it will offer the enhanced tools for Mac users.

Hmm Im too wondering about - what is missing in Opus1 - Because just in the Cube there was no much velocities at all [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    and it is not -EWQLSO is using same kompakt as GPO It is GPO using same kompakt as EWQLSO... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Well Sam, are you ready for this? The flute perf-leg patch from the Opus 1 contains much more samples than the same patch from the VSL Performance Set. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] And that\'s only the flute.
    What is different is that Opus 1 is fairly standard on articulations whilst \"Mother VSL\" is bursting in that field.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Sam, also bear in mind that the current version of Kontakt (mac side) has problems with the DFD. When enabled, a non looped sample will loop itself once but only play about 1/2 second worth, then cut off.
    I also was very impressed with Opus1.
    Chris

Thanks for the responses.

No worries here about the Kontakt issues, I\'m a GigaStudio user (hmm, I don\'t know if that\'s a good thing or a bad thing) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So Opus 1 is probably--or should I say definitely--a wise purchase? It seems to have everything I\'d need. If I just bought VSL Perf Set alone, that would be great, but I\'d be missing out on the articulations in the Orch Cube. If I just bought the Orch Cube, I\'d be missing out on the legato. So to get both, that runs around $5000 or so. $990 seems much more attractive, and you\'re getting BOTH the legato samples and the different articulations (trem, trills, etc).

Sounds to me like a really, really sweet deal.

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:

The EastWest Gold edition comes with the same Kontakt player as GPO, so maybe it will offer the enhanced tools for Mac users.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually - no - the 3 versions of the EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP SYMPHONIC ORCHESTRA (Silver-Gold-Platinum) all use the KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT interface.

The software included is a complete Virtual Instrument called KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT, which is a special streamlined version of the NI KONTAKT sampler and also uses the KONTAKT audio engine. KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT should not be confused with the much more basic \"KONTAKT PLAYER\" interface as included with some other companies\' products, which is simply a \'player\' of libraries in Kontakt format and has very little editing functionality. That is obviously very different from the KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT, which includes the most used controls from KONTAKT and allows massive editing of the included sound library. The KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT which powers EASTWEST Virtual Sound Modules is a much more powerful creative tool than the \"KONTAKT PLAYER\".

You can see a screen shot of the \"KONTAKT PLAYER\" here -

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/3/playback.html

Our KOMPAKT INSTRUMENT can be seen here (scroll down the page) -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-160

We use this interface for all three versions of EWQLSO.

I hope that clarifies it.

All the best,

Doug Rogers
    ------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

Originally posted by Chris Caouette:
    Sam, also bear in mind that the current version of Kontakt (mac side) has problems with the DFD. When enabled, a non looped sample will loop itself once but only play about 1/2 second worth, then cut off.
    I also was very impressed with Opus1.
    Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">We don\'t have this problem with Kontakt - what system and version are you using?

- Doug

Originally posted by Chris Caouette:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Another note: the current version of EXS24MKII in Logic 6.3.1 has some issue streaming in the Dual 2Ghz G5. There appears to be some work arounds on the VSL forums, but no official one from Emagic.

Go Back to forum