• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Etude No. 1 by Paul Jeanjean

Share/Bookmark

Etude No. 1 by Paul Jeanjean

My brother is a fine clarinetist with his Masters degree in clarinet performance. Of the many studies he used, I found this one to be particularly beautiful, but, it had no accompaniment. So I took it on myself to create one for the lovely clarinet line. I thought I'd share it with this community.

The piece is the 1st etude in the Paul Jeanjean clarinet studies book. The clarinet melody is by Jeanjean and the piano accompaniment is by me. The music is performed by members of the GPO orchestra.

ETUDE NO. 1

I might add: It's a 5 minute work.

Enjoy,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Etude No. 1 by Paul Jeanjean

(I hope I am not overstaying my welcome, but I could not resist to remark on this)

Lovely. The beginning and end I was able to concentrate on the clarinet, it the middle I enjoyed the piano more, indeed a masterful work you did, sensitive and very pleasant.

Thanks for posting it

Ted

This is an especially pretty piece, so languid and thoughtful. And both your piano arrangement and rendition of the duet sound great, Bill. Very nice.

Randy

Really enjoyed that. Good to hear a well recorded pure clarinet performance, and the piano you've added is a perfect compliment - it is like they've been recorded together.

When I next write for clarinet I'll keep this piece in mind.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    (I hope I am not overstaying my welcome, but I could not resist to remark on this)

Lovely. The beginning and end I was able to concentrate on the clarinet, it the middle I enjoyed the piano more, indeed a masterful work you did, sensitive and very pleasant.

Thanks for posting it

Ted
    Ted, you are always welcomed for a visit. Thanks for the kind words. The etude (study) almost begs for an accompaniment. The middle part, as you say, was the hardest to do because the clarinet is wandering through many keys. Since Jeanjean is French, I expected I would use some whole-tone concepts to creep in, but they were not there. It's a very dark and moody section of the music.

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Randy and Plowking - I'm glad you stopped by for a listen to this excellent clarinet writing. Being a trumpet player, I am not aware of the pedagogy of a clarinet. I had my brother send me a couple studies to see what I could do with them for accompaniments. This one I thought came out very well.

If there is any interest (or any clarinetists here that have played the Rose studies), I have harmonized No. 21 in Rose book II and I could post that as well.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill.... this is really superb.

Such a tender melody, and you serve it wonderfully with your accompaniment.

I am completely dumb in winds pedagogic material... but this doesn't seem a pedagogic etude. It is just a beautiful melody.

Very very well done.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Bill.... this is really superb.

Such a tender melody, and you serve it wonderfully with your accompaniment.

I am completely dumb in winds pedagogic material... but this doesn't seem a pedagogic etude. It is just a beautiful melody.

Very very well done.

Fab
    Thanks Fab for listening. Well, etudes tend to be technical or mechanical much of the time. But, they can also be great and unknown (well, to the general public, anyways) pieces of music. Mainly, because they are not performed for an audience. That's why I am taking on the challenge of creating musical accompaniments for them. I've done 9 now of the Charlier Studies for trumpet. A trumpet study book unknown by most people outside the trumpet world.

I am glad you enjoyed this piece.
    Thanks for stopping by,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post

Well, etudes tend to be technical or mechanical much of the time.
    I am glad you enjoyed this piece.
    Thanks for stopping by,
    Bill
    Exactly. Apart from what I've done on the guitar as a youngster... nowadays (age 42) I am studying kreutzer on the violin. These are great technical etudes but not exactly brilliant melodic beauties.
    I understand you brass and winds guys are luckier than us "stringed" ones. The only good thing on the guitar is than one gets a lot of Bach pretty early . You can not go very wrong with J.S.

But THIS etude was really delicious and I once again thank you for sharing it along with your accompaniment for it.
    If you have more of these to share .... my ears are ready

Fab

Hi Bill,

You've understood quite well the intimacy and tenderness of the languid clarinet. Not only in your accompaniment, but also in the delicate rendition of the clarinet sound, with small detuning on longer notes and legato passages. It provides a lot of reality. Brilliant sober arrangement.

Thanks for sharing it.

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast