• Register
  • Help

Topic: A break from the fighting. (feedback please)

Share/Bookmark

A break from the fighting. (feedback please)

Toy Box (Toy Soldier march)

- This was done with rather old libraries, AO and Prosonus. As well as a little bit of SOV, G-Town and Prosonus Prepared Piano and the tiniest little bit of Heart of Asia. The piano is the Malmsjo Grand.

Stary Skies - Part 1

Totally different to the Toy Soldiers track, its more synth based. New Age and dreamy... There are only 2 orchestral instruments to it and one if them is percussion. I\'ll let you guess the other libraries.

Stary Skies - Part 2

NOTE: This file was too big as an mp3, but not as a wma. Therefore before you can play this file you need to change the file extention to (\".wma\") and play it in Windows Media Player. Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This piece is in the same style as the first Stary Skies piece, but... different... like a different cue or something I suppose.

Anyway... thoughts? Flames? Death threats? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ed

ADDED EDIT: I forgot to add that none of these have been mastered. I think they sound fine though... right?

Re: A break from the fighting. (feedback please)

*cough* *bump* ....sorry it had only been 5 hours and it was on page 2 already...

I\'m a ghoul, I confess to like the verbal punch-ups. Its like reading a breakdown of a Jerry Springer episode for musicians with an IQ above a chimp and it makes a break from sifting through endless threads about RAM sticks and equipment benchmarks. Everybody has an opinion and its nice to read them.

Sorry for that Ed. Now I\'m going to have a listen to your music while I prepare for a good night\'s sleep [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just wanted to add, if Windows Media Player happens to be your default application for MP3 files, the file will open and play without any problem. Rename as WMA only if you have to.

Good stuff, by the way. I think when you throw in deliberately synthy patches, it takes us out of the realm of \"must criticize realism!\" so we can just appreciate the music. And appreciate, I did.

Thanks Ed for posting those, especially the mellow Stary Skies pieces. Everyone on NS should listen to those and take a deep breath ...

I agree with Aaron - adding the synths takes me away from the conflict between what the instruments sound like and what I think the instruments should sound like.

For the Toy Soldier March, what reverb did you use? I thought the mix was excellent, but the samples themselves sounded a little thin. Would the free SIR reverb help with that?

The Stary Skies pieces seemed just right.

Now let me grind my axe a little. I\'m classically oriented but I dearly love the new sound pallettes available. But can\'t I have both? I\'d love to hear more of your Stary Skies, but with the addition of a contrasting theme or rhythm, some development coupled with modulation to a distant key, and for cliche, a nice return.

But for now, I\'m content to listen to Stary Skies again and just dream ...

Hi Ed,
    I agree with every one else on those synth pieces. Very nice, hard to critisise.

As for Toy box, It is an exelent sample of your writing ability. I really enjoyed the feel and direction of this piece. I would like to hear it in it\'s completed state. Seems like there is so much more to be said in this piece. Keep it going, please! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nice work and some of the best non mastering I have heard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Ed,
    I agree with every one else on those synth pieces. Very nice, hard to critisise.

As for Toy box, It is an excelent sample of your writing ability. I really enjoyed the feel and direction of this piece. I would like to hear it in it\'s completed state. Seems like there is so much more to be said in this piece. Keep it going, please! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nice work and some of the best non mastering I have heard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum