• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KING AND DAVE GOVETT - Are you cheaper systems running VSL Effectively??

Share/Bookmark

KING AND DAVE GOVETT - Are you cheaper systems running VSL Effectively??

Hi guys. I am putting together 2-3 pc\'s for VSL. I\'ve read a lot about the inexpensive systems you\'ve both built. Are you getting 160 voices on these systems? Do you have any problems with drops outs on libraries with more complex programming (my current Sounchaser system has problems with VOTA if it has other things loaded.)

I\'m trying to figure out if I should build 3 lesser expensive systems or 2 nicer ones.

What processor and motherboard are you using in your systems??

Thanks,

Colin

Re: KING AND DAVE GOVETT - Are you cheaper systems running VSL Effectively??

Yes, I would like to second that question. What kind of rigs are we looking at for these new libraries. I almost bought VSL yesterday but realised I don\'t really have the right hardware to run it without upgrading my two SoundChaser TK1\'s. I\'ll probably have to get another Mackie D8b for all the damn inputs too!
    John Angier

I\'m also interested about this subject. Now I have 1000Mhz AMD Athlon, 1024Mt Ram and Gigastudio 96. I\'m going to buy VSL during the summer and my \"old\" DAW isn\'t good enough.

I\'m about to buy second computer, but is for example Celeron 1700 enough or do I need some Intel P4 monster DAW? My friend told me that AMDs are better for audioworking. I\'m still wondering witch processor should I take...

Also what KVM switches do you use? I need that too. Cheaper is better I think.

Tabbu

Definately a hardware question. Both King and Dave read these forums I know.

Hansi

With the new Logic Freeze function wouldn\'t it be better to \"print\" tracks and then load more instruments into GS? I dunno, but the idea of having 3-4 computers running seems so backwards to me. Beside the cost, noise, higher power bills, heat, and space issues...in principle it just feels wrong! I am so unhappy with even having to have a Mac and a PC side to side that I\'m contemplating ditching Giga in favor of Logic and EXS on a Dual 1.42 G4 with all the bells and whistles. Will I be able to get a gazillion instruments going at once with 300 simultaneous voices? Probably not, but I\'d rather have the inconvenience of \"printing to disk\" and dealing with smaller chunks of the orchestra than deal with the above mentioned issues.

Midphase,

I hope you are right about the Logic Freeze function. For me, when I\'m doing a complex orchestral arrangment its essential to have all of my sounds immediately accessable in a a template. Right now I have to do a lot of printing to audio, reloading other samples etc. It totally kills the flow of things. Once everthing is streaming on the mac, it will take a monster machine to run VSL, QLSO, plug-ins, softsynth, and sequencer. I\'m wondering if it will even be possible to run these large orchestra libraries on a single machine. SI strings currently easily uses up one machine for me. PC\'s are also a lot cheaper, and these libraries are expensive and I MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!

You have a great machine room , midphase. Lets fill it up with giga pc\'s!!

Colin

I\'ll probably have to get another Mackie D8b for all the damn inputs too!
    John Angier
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">See my post in the hardware forum about this - I have exactly the same dilema!

Ian

I am neither King or Dave, but I know where I stand in this. I think you\'ll find you will need less voices than you\'re used to, at least when we\'re talking the performance part of VSL. The performance instruments only use 2 voices pr note, so you can run a bunch of them at the same time without running out of poly. Some people may argue that not having any x-fade samples is a set back, but the performance stuff is so great in so many ways that you won\'t miss it most of the time. E.g. for doing legato woodwinds or brass lines, runs etc. You also have some special dynamic articulations available that will sound more realistic than by doing it the normal way: Layering a staccato with an x-fade sustain for example, if you want a sforzando trombone note for instance. This will only use up two voices. Of course there ARE x-fade instruments in the Orchestral Cube, but I find myself using a lot of the velocity switched stuff, e.g. for trumpets and woodwinds.

What you need for the Performance part of VSL is RAM, RAM and RAM. But it\'s worth it!

If my understanding is correct, using Logic\'s \"Freeze\" function will solve your CPU load problems, but not your midi/audio instruments problems. You still need to keep the instrumets of frozen tracks up. So you\'ll be SOL if you need more than 64 audio instruments.

You have a great machine room , midphase. Lets fill it up with giga pc\'s!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">More PC\'s.....nooooooooooooo!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum