• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gig file conversion to Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Gig file conversion to Kontakt

With the 1.2 update to NI\'s contact and the Direct-from-Disk streaming extension, I have been able to convert the SOV library as well as some Quantum Leap Brass and East West\'s Steinway B Piano with great success. All the instruments sound great and play great as they stream from disk.

Anybody else have great success using Kontakt? I\'ve been really happy with it and all it\'s sound manipulation tools that Gigastudio lacks. But I\'ve just yet scratched the surface. Would love to hear anyone else\'s success stories as well as with the new libraries from East West now all seem to be bundled with some sort of Kontakt-lite engine.

Dreamawake

Re: Gig file conversion to Kontakt

Hi, I just this afternoon converted the Rare Instruments Duduk samples to Kontakt. It was a little tedious as I had to manually map the key-switching key of each dimension, but I guess you only have to do it once!

THe sample plays great from within Cubase running Kontakt. I was able to instantly apply EQ adn FX as Kontakt is of course running as a VST.

I just today received a reply from Native Instruments saying that future support of key-switching and GIGA format files will be better in the near future. I believe they are writing a patch for it now.

If you need any pointers on the conversion process to Kontakt (it\'s a little quirky), let me know and I will paste up what another Kontakt user gave me.

Regards, Scott.

Scott,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, would you post that info as I\'m sure many of us would love to have it.

I really do believe Kontakt is taking off and is already posing to be a GIGA threat.

Dreamawake

Someone has posted a tutorial for this on the Kontakt forum. That’s certainly a more appropriated place than here.

Here is the tutorial that was kindly posted by Jon Kubis over at the Kontakt forums.

I\'m not here to debate the merits of whether or not it belongs here, I have posted it in the interests of helping people out.

The Tutorial
    Tutorial:

1. Open GigaStudio editor (Start :: Programs :: NemeSys :: Gigastudio Editor)

2. Open the .gig file with the program you want to convert (File :: Open)
    For this example I will be using \'(AO str) viola section basic.gig\'

3. Click \'No\' when asked to save the acceleration tag. (it really doesn\'t matter, but the idea here

is to keep your

original .gig file untouched)

4. Save this file to another location, in effect making a copy that we can work on. (File :: Save

As...)

5. Remove the programs that you will not be converting. This is done by going up to the top-left

pane which says

\"Instrument Bank 0\" and selecting the programs you wish to delete, then pressing the DELETE key.
    In my case I\'m deleting \"viola section basic KEY XFD-R\" and a few others.

6. Select the program you will be converting by clicking on it in that top-left pane.
    For example, I will be converting \'viola section basic KEY\'.

7. Select all the regions by clicking and dragging a box from just beyond the left edge of the

leftmost region, to

beyond the right edge of the rightmost one, effectively turning all the regions yellow.
    8. Just below that, there is the word \"Keyboard\" with a green square under that, and some white

squares. Click on the word \"Keyboard\"

9. A window titled \"Dimension Resource\" will pop up. We want to change \'Control Source\' from

\'Keyboard\' to \'(2)

Breath controller\' (you could effectively set it to almost anything, but I have yet to see a

commercial giga file

take advantage of breath control...)

-- VERY IMPORTANT --
    10. Check the box marked \"Apply to all selected regions\"

NOTE: if you don\'t, Kontakt WILL crash when you import the gig file.

11. Click OK.

12. Save this file. (File :: Save)

13. Exit the Gigastudio Editor. (File :: Exit)

14. Open Kontakt

15. Locate the .gig file we were just working on using the top-left file navigation pane. It will

look like a

folder. In my case it is \"(AO STR) VIOLA SECTION BASIC\".

16. Click to expand that file, and then click on <PROGRAMS> just beneath. You should see the Program

we were just

working with in the list below.

17. Drag that program (bottom left pane) into the rack view on the right.

18. Kontakt will ask you where you wan to save it. Save it wherever you like.

19. Kontakt will proceed to convert the file. If it goes quickly then crashes... you didn\'t follow

step 10!

At this point the program, will all the requisite dimensions is now in Kontakt. Hurray! Now to get

keyswitching

happening again!

20. Click the \'Edit\' button for that instrument.

21. Right now \'ON CTRL.\' is selected and it\'s set to 2 x x. FYI This is breath control. Change \'ON

CTRL.\' to \'START

ON KEY\'

22. Set \'ON KEY\' to C1.

23. Deselect \'EDIT ALL\'.

Now the tedious part. We need to step through the groups and assign each to a different key. This

particular

gigasample I\'m working with has 16. Ouch. Here are the steps:

a. Select a group. Just below where it says MAPPING EDITOR, there\'s a button that says GROUP 1-#.

Click that...
    b. Set the key. Next to \'ON KEY\' it says C1, change that to the key switch you\'d like.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So for instance Group 1-16 would be C1, group 2-16 would be C#1, group 3-16 would be D1, etc.

The note was made earlier that the first group in gigastudio is actually imported as the last in

Kontakt, but everything else is in order, so here\'s how you\'d want to lay it out with a 16 switch

gigasample (that is, if you want it to completely match the original keymap in gigastudio):

1-16 C#1
    2-16 D1
    3-16 D#1
    4-16 E1
    5-16 F1
    6-16 F#1
    7-16 G1
    8-16 G#1
    9-16 A1
    10-16 A#1
    11-16 B1
    12-16 C2
    13-16 C#2
    14-16 D2
    15-16 D#2
    16-16 C1

I know it sounds like a lot, but this tutorial is really wordy and a 16 dimension gigasample can

easily be converted in under 4 minutes if you get quick at it. Plus, once it\'s converted it\'s done.

And you\'ll never ever have to worry about saving gigastudio performances ever again.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">** End of Tutorial**

My reply:

Two funny things I encountered;

1. My first import only included one dimension of the instrument instead of the sixteen that it
    should\'ve had (my fault). I went back to Giga Editor followed your steps properly and exported
    again. Kontakt had been running in the background the whole time. When I tried to bring the Giga file into Kontakt a second time, it still showed only one dimension. So the answer is; you need to refresh the browser view or shut down Kontakt and open it up again. As soon as I re-opened Kontakt, it imported my instrument with all sixteen articulations.

2. I launched Cubase and Kontakt and went to play my newly converted instrument - no sound. Midi was sending but there was no sound coming out. After a few minutes of head scratching I finally tapped one of the keys on my synth that had been set up for key-switching.... Success! My instrument came to life.

That was it really...

Thanks again, I am happy to know that I can import instruments into Kontakt and for me the big bonus is running them as a VST so that I cant instantly apply EQ and FX.

Cheers, Scott.

Originally posted by Dreamawake:
    Would love to hear anyone else\'s success stories as well as with the new libraries from East West now all seem to be bundled with some sort of Kontakt-lite engine.

Dreamawake
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kontakt-lite!!! - have you read the specs?? These interfaces have the features we wanted from Kontakt, and more, in a single screen interface (Kontakt is modular).

In fact our loop version has features not yet available in Kontakt, such as an auto-sync feature that auto syncs our loops to the host sequencer tempo. No loading MIDI files and samples (MIDI files are provided as well if you need them) - tempo matching is now a thing of the past!

Add to that 24bit/96K support, streaming from hard disk, auto-switching of alternate samples, a legato tool in the multi-sample instruments version - plus NI\'s famous sound shaping tools, and you have extremely powerful, ground-breaking engines that are superior to all other solutions in the market today.

That\'s why we chose to partner with Native Instruments - and best of all - you are going to get all of this without any additional cost!

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

Originally posted by dougrogers:

In fact our loop version has features not yet available in Kontakt, such as an auto-sync feature that auto syncs our loops to the host sequencer tempo. No loading MIDI files and samples (MIDI files are provided as well if you need them) - tempo matching is now a thing of the past!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">sounds great Doug..

an important part of the loop programming experience for me is realtime contextual preview. This is available in ACID and SONAR and allows loops to be auditioned during playback without having to commit to the loop in anyway. Is this dimension being considered in your looped based products?

-david abraham

That\'s why we chose to partner with Native Instruments - and best of all - you are going to get all of this without any additional cost!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s wonderful - now could you please explain to me why I spent several hundred dollars on Kontakt when cutting edge sample developers like yourself are selling the newest instruments with a sample player more advanced than Kontakt thrown in for free?

I suppose I (and other gullible consumers) should be putting this question directly to NI.

I think Northernsounds needs to start a Kontakt Forum. Probably half the people have or will have contact within the next month.

May need a Halion, EXS-24 and other new formats areas also. Then have a generic area to discuss sample libraries as many are starting to cross to the different platforms.

Originally posted by BluesWest:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s why we chose to partner with Native Instruments - and best of all - you are going to get all of this without any additional cost!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s wonderful - now could you please explain to me why I spent several hundred dollars on Kontakt when cutting edge sample developers like yourself are selling the newest instruments with a sample player more advanced than Kontakt thrown in for free?

I suppose I (and other gullible consumers) should be putting this question directly to NI.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Because the NI \"samplers\" import \"any\" compatible sample library (Akai, Giga, etc). The \"NI audio engine and interface\" attached to our libraries will not work with other libraries, only the library it is attached to - that is the major difference.

Btw, if you did want to use the extensive editing features of Kontakt, you can still import our new libraries into Kontakt perfectly.

I hope that explains the difference.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

Go Back to forum