• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for Nemesys,when wil giga studio/windows 2000 be avalible?

Share/Bookmark

Question for Nemesys,when wil giga studio/windows 2000 be avalible?

Just wondering when a windows 2000 version of Giga studio will be released?
    Also wondering when Giga studio will support 96 k sample rate.

Re: Question for Nemesys,when wil giga studio/windows 2000 be avalible?

I have the same questions.
    I need NT in order to build a SMP dual processor DAW.
    Is there a point in waiting for the NT version, or will it never come (due to sloppy midi timing on NT, ...etc)?

I remember someone from Nemesys saying the end of the year. maybe you could check with Nemesys directly.

Sounds very interesting! Thanks elle, for mentioning the Dual PIII CPU systems(Athlon\'s not supported yet). To support WinNT/2000, would be the near future of DAW systems, which also would be advantaged in multiple CPU solution...Nemesy? anyone does see it on the market yet?

The short answer is: we are working on the Win 2k version as we speak, and I would expect a solution by the end of the year.

The longer answer is: the port to Win2k is alot more complicated for software like the GigaX than people might expect. Because we program at the lowest levels of the operating system to increase performance, moving software from one OS to another OS is a complicated process. The Win9x and WinNT/2000 architectures are completely different. The entire driver model has been reachitected. Which brings up a concern - the availability of audio drivers for pro audio cards. There are a couple of things that make this difficult for your hardware manufactures - MS documentation on the new driver model is scarce and MS lack of enthusiasm for pro-audio. I suspect that this new driver/os paradigm will eventually dominate, but it will take a couple of years before our industry can fully embrace MS\'s new OS.

A side note on dual processor systems:
    It is easy to be fooled into thinking that if I have 2 processors, that I should be able to do twice as much work - it is never the case. Because performance is a function of many things in a computer, including harddrive speed, memory, graphics subsystem etc, it is nearly impossible to keep both CPU fully utilized. However, there are things that the software can do to help optimize the performance on a multiprocessor system. We are working on not only a port to the Win 2K, but architecting our code to take advantage of multiple processors within a single system.

Well that is it for now. I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Regards,
    Joe (NemeSys)

By the way ,your probably wondering why one moment Im asking when win 200 will work with giga studio and thew next Im dising win 2000.
    Well I guess it\'s a lesser of two evils.
    Win 2000 is supposed to be more stable than win 98.But still not as stable as it should be .
    I have a couple friends that have Macs and there programs that they run actually work and do what they are supposed to do ,no blue screens or illegal operations .
    Why are the Mac\'s more stable, is it the hardware ? No .Just the Op system . There\'s no reason why a PC can\'t run that well.

Huh, what???
    What\'s this BeOs & Mac-nonsense??
    watch it you damned heretics, i\'m on to you!
    there can be only one OS!

And don\'t forget that I have all your ip:s logged, so watch your tounges!

Bill Gates

sounding younger everyday, Bill

Hi!

As regards the poll, my answeer is yes. I was following the development of BEOS for a long time hoping that some usable products will make it onto the market. Even if I am happy Cubase user I would have switched to Logic would the Emagic finished their porting. And if GSt would run on BEOS as well? Would have been wonderful.

But I think we can forget BEOS, they basically dropped it, so did Emagic and I doubt that Nemesys would take so much trouble to do another OS version.
    But nice vision, that everything would work and faster....

Ondrej

BeOs would have had it\'s own problems. Where there is code there will be bugs. Since Beos had no real apps to speak of it\'s inpossible to prove/disprove it\'s real world stability. We probably would have had a significant number of driver issues as well.

With the right hardware/software mix any reasonable OS can be stable. Win2k is likely to survive in the long term and it makes good sense to target that platform.

As good as Win2k is reported to be, and with as much money that it has behind it, it still has a hard time competing with Win9x because of the latter\'s installed base. BeOs doesn\'t have a chance.

Best bet: dedicate a Win98 machine to GS and leave it alone.

Meanwhile the hardware vendors that are slow to develop WDM audio drivers will be toasted.

-david

Go Back to forum