• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: VSL vs VSL?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    VSL vs VSL?

    I\'m getting a house in a few weeks, so money\'s going to be tight. EWQLSO is going to be out of my range, that leaves one of the VSL\'s, the Orchestral Set, or the Performance Set.

    Can someone explain to me, in plain English, the differences between these? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

  2. #2

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    To start, here\'s a link showing all three packages available today.

    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ilio/vsl.shtml


    The Orchestral Cube - This is more of the \"traditional\" sample library for the whole orchestra. You get ensembles for violins, violas, celli, basses, all strings, trumpets, trombones, and French horns. There are solo instruments for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, French horn, tuba, harp, timpani and full percussion. This is 45GB of orchestral samples. With the package is the Performance Tool which is setup for MIDI thru and the Alternation Tool. The Alternation tool is a kind of \"phrase maker\" in that you can \"alternate\" between instruments on keyswitches to quickly combinations and articulations that would otherwise take up a lot of time performaing in, then editing in the MIDI sequencer.

    The Performances - These are \"specialized\" samples that you perform from the keyboard, but using either the Legato or Repetition mode found in the Performance Tool. These samples are broken down into several categories: performance-legato, repetitions (for legato, portamento, staccato and slow), runs legato, grace notes, glissandi and upbeats (depending on the instrument).

    With Vienna, there\'s NO fudging on types of bowings, articulations, etc. Everything is recorded for you to perforom in for the most realistic sound possible. The only exceptions to this are the glisses, grace notes and runs, which are pre-performed. Everything else, however, you perform in.

    This is an important distinction, because earlier on this forum, there was a mistaken view that the performances were all sorts of prerecorded phrases to be used out of the box. This is not so.

    I hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    EWQLSO is going to be out of my range, that leaves one of the VSL\'s
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the two libraries were approximately the same price? Around $3000 give or take?

    Ben Ripley

  4. #4

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    [quote]Originally posted by Daedalus:
    ...I was under the impression that the two libraries were approximately the same price? Around $3000 give or take? Ben Ripley
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There are some apples and oranges here regarding price. The price for the Orchestral Cube AND Performances is $3090US. This is 45GB for the cube and 50GB (on my hard drive) for the Performances. The release is for a \"classical\" orchestra plus harp, percussion, and timpani. The first format releases are in Giga and in a few weeks, EXS24 (which is 24-bit, too).

    The EW/QLSO is an 80GB package (as reported at NAMM).

    There is an upgrade for VSL to the PRO Edition once GS 3.0 releases. The upgrade (or VIP price) is not only for 24bit, BUT ALSO over 200GB of files!

    The Pro Edition has expanded EVERYTHING.

    In Fourth Quarter, we\'re expecting the Symphonic Cube, which is scheduled to be released on a single drive.

    Unlike EW/QLSO, VSL is recording daily throughout 2003 with releases throughout 2004.

    REGARDING 24-BIT
    Yes, momentarily you\'ll get 24bit with either library on the virutal samplers (EXS or Kontakt) and streaming. HOWEVER! What no one is talking about is that you have to have an audio card that can handle the 24-bit samples.

    With ADAT, you\'re limited to 20-bit unless you get a splitter AD/DA from RME that enables you to convert the 20bit to 24bit. Or, you have to look at audio cards using AES-EBU or the Tascam TDIF connections to get 24-bit, up to 32bit.

    Also, Windows XP and 98SE can handle the 24-bit, ME and win2K cannot.

  5. #5

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by peter269:
    The EW/QLSO is an 80GB package (as reported at NAMM).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmmmmmm.....

    Such speculation. No one ever told anybody at anytime that EWQLSO was 80 Gigs - and it\'s not - it is currently twice that - and no one, including us, will know the final size until we are finished.

    Also, comparing VSL and EWQLSO is like comparing \'apples to oranges\'. The only similarity is the fact they are both orchestral libraries - everything else is completely different, as you will hear when our library is finally released.

    Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

  6. #6

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by SOD213:
    I\'m getting a house in a few weeks, so money\'s going to be tight. EWQLSO is going to be out of my range, that leaves one of the VSL\'s, the Orchestral Set, or the Performance Set
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">EWQLSO will be sold in four volumes (Strings - Woodwinds - Brass - Percussion) ranging in price from $495 to $995 - you don\'t have to get the whole collection at once, although you get the Percussion for free if you do.

    Take care,

    Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

  7. #7

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by peter269:

    HOWEVER! What no one is talking about is that you have to have an audio card that can handle the 24-bit samples.

    With ADAT, you\'re limited to 20-bit unless you get a splitter AD/DA from RME that enables you to convert the 20bit to 24bit. Or, you have to look at audio cards using AES-EBU or the Tascam TDIF connections to get 24-bit, up to 32bit.

    Also, Windows XP and 98SE can handle the 24-bit, ME and win2K cannot. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Peter,
    Good poimt about the Adat interface, after all it\'s probably the most common out there.
    But can you explain why Win2k can\'t handle 24bit???

    Edit : You know, I\'ve thought about this, and it\'s not a good point, I\'m sure modern Adat interfaces are 24bit, in fact I\'m sure I have some. Show\'s how much notice I take of bit depths [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I\'d still be interested to know why Win2K can\'t do 24 bit?
    Brian

  8. #8

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by peter269:
    REGARDING 24-BIT
    Yes, momentarily you\'ll get 24bit with either library on the virutal samplers (EXS or Kontakt) and streaming. HOWEVER! What no one is talking about is that you have to have an audio card that can handle the 24-bit samples.

    With ADAT, you\'re limited to 20-bit unless you get a splitter AD/DA from RME that enables you to convert the 20bit to 24bit. Or, you have to look at audio cards using AES-EBU or the Tascam TDIF connections to get 24-bit, up to 32bit.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is this a limitation of the ADAT protocol, or just a limitation of ADATs themselves? I\'m reasonably sure I\'ve been able to pass true 24-bit
    files between PC and a Fostex D824 via the ADAT i/o on a Frontier Design Wavecenter PCI card....but maybe I should verify that???

    Originally posted by peter269:
    Also, Windows XP and 98SE can handle the 24-bit, ME and win2K cannot.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought WIN2K handled 24-bit as of Service Pack 3 -- is this not so?

    -Shawn

  9. #9

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by peter269:
    To start, here\'s a link showing all three packages available today.

    http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ilio/vsl.shtml


    The Orchestral Cube - This is more of the \"traditional\" sample library for the whole orchestra.

    The Performances - These are \"specialized\" samples that you perform from the keyboard, but using either the Legato or Repetition mode found in the Performance Tool.

    I hope this helps.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, I was leaning towards the Orchestral Cube, but after hearing Thomas_J\'s Performance demo.. wow. Even more to think about. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

  10. #10

    Re: VSL vs VSL?

    Originally posted by peter269:
    The Orchestral Cube - This is more of the \"traditional\" sample library for the whole orchestra. You get ensembles for violins, violas, celli, basses, all strings, trumpets, trombones, and French horns. There are solo instruments for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, French horn, tuba, harp, timpani and full percussion. This is 45GB of orchestral samples. With the package is the Performance Tool which is setup for MIDI thru and the Alternation Tool. The Alternation tool is a kind of \"phrase maker\" in that you can \"alternate\" between instruments on keyswitches to quickly combinations and articulations that would otherwise take up a lot of time performaing in, then editing in the MIDI sequencer.

    The Performances - These are \"specialized\" samples that you perform from the keyboard, but using either the Legato or Repetition mode found in the Performance Tool. These samples are broken down into several categories: performance-legato, repetitions (for legato, portamento, staccato and slow), runs legato, grace notes, glissandi and upbeats (depending on the instrument).

    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok, I\'m getting the idea now, but how about this. Say I got the Performance SET. What CAN\'T I do that I could do if I had the Orchestra Cube as well?

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •