• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memories That Once Had Been

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Memories That Once Had Been

Hi all,

This is the second installment from my piano collection I’m currently writing,,”The Week Effort Collection.”

Out of the seven pieces in this collection, this is probably my favorite as far as emotional outpourings. I think the piece is my favorite overall, but I’ll get to that at a later date.

Following the pattern of juxtaposing opposite styles which I started in the first piece “The Meadow Lark” (with the Beethoven; Joplin combo), this piece volleys back and forth with introvert sections versus extrovert material.
    I went through a rather trying year last year with my health and the end result was, “I’m still here” but I can’t do a lot of the things I use to do. So then the proverbial question, “why me” arises and you can easily hear the struggle between accepting my fate , cherishing the fact I’m still here, and then letting the anger/ anxiety of my limitations take over.

To set the record straight, I’m not bipolar…as this piece might also indicated!

The piece starts and ends with a question motif about what lies ahead. And since none of us knows what fate has in store for us, it remains unanswered.

I’ll be gone for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. Flying to Albuquerque to have Easter dinner with friends and to pick up my final trip of “stuff” I left behind in the move to California. My friends will be glad to have their garage back I’m sure. Renting a U-haul, I’ll be taking my time to see some things in Arizona. I won’t have a computer, hence I won’t be able to answer any of your replies (if I get any) until I return. Just let you know I’m not ignoring you.

The very best to everyone,

Cass

Memories That Once Had Been

Re: Memories That Once Had Been

A message for when you return, Cass:

- It's great to see that you're moving forward on your determination to write a new piece every week. Like I said last time, we could all benefit from doing that, and I wish I was finding the discipline to follow through like you!

-You got me curious when I read your post before listening - You said "...I'm not bipolar!" Ah ha, I see what you mean now. It is remarkable how many mood shifts are gone through in this one, medium lengthed piece, and each mood is strong and definite, not just suggested. This unpredictable shifting of moods is exactly as you have in the title, "Memories," because memories can be explosive in our heads as our brain waves flash through so many recollections like jump cuts in a movie chase scene.

-Your piano chops are simply splendid to hear. I used to play piano, before working with MIDI dumbed me down and whatever skill I had mostly evaporated. But I never came close to the virtuosity you're capturing in these piano renderings. Wow.

-The unimaginably difficult time you've been through has rearranged some of your wiring, because that's what life's experiences both pleasant and unpleasant do - they keep us evolving and morphing into new versions of ourselves. For an artist, such as yourself, creative talents can both express our changes and help us understand them. I predict that this powerful music will keep pouring out, and all of us who hear it will benefit from listening as well as you will from composing it.

Thank you for posting this wonderful burst of energy, Cass.

Randy

Cass! The moods change quite abruptly on your piece but to my ears, not in an unpleasant way. I thought there was a nice mix of traditional and contemporary sounds particularly in the harmonic structure. I did enjoy your piano piece. Thanks for the post. Jay

Ahhhhhh.... new work by Cass....

This is more like "you", or at least the way I remember your older pieces.
    Very interesting harmonies at work here.
    As for the changing moods... you do the "good cop/bad cop" trick.... but someone should tell you that it takes TWO cops to do it!
    Just joking...

Have an enjoyable time while "on the road", you deserve it.

Fab

Well, Cass, this is a terrific job! Beautiful 'memories' so brilliantly depicted in expressive sounds,surprising changing harmonies and rhythms. I enjoyed the whole piece.

Glad you've posted it here!

Max

Wonderful piano playing, Cass. Love the changing pace and rhythms - some melodic elements are interrupted by interesting tangents.

This could be a suite of different piano pieces. Perhaps if you were to develop some of them into their own works?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi everyone,

Finally back from a wonderful 2-week vacation in Albuquerque. So much to catch up on but I wanted to first touch bases here to thank everyone that replied to this post. I usually respond separately to each person, but because of my late response, I’ll condense it to one post…..please forgive.

Randy,

Thanks so much for the sincere and very heartfelt response. Your kind words were so appreciated. I have to comment here that not only are you gifted and crafted at the composition of music, but you also exhibit the same expertise with words and language. You could easily write a book and have a best seller. I have absolutely no doubt about this. So if you ever get tired of notes (ha, ha) you could easily change gears to letters! I always appreciate your responses to me and others here at the forum. Thank you.

You’re right about memories being explosive in our heads. This one was surely that for me although the memories in this instance might be a tad exaggerated from their humble origins. And I hope you are correct that this music stuff will continue to pour out of me. Time will tell I guess. Thanks again.

Jay,

Quote, “Cass! The moods change quite abruptly on your piece but to my ears, not in an unpleasant way.” Yeah think? This was kind of an experiment for me Jay. Thanks for the thumbs up that it wasn’t too far out of the ballpark. I’m sure you would agree, that after you have heard your own composition over and over again, anything that one might consider strange or on the fringe of acceptance, becomes a non-issue and perfectly acceptable to the composer. It’s good to get fresh and different ears to evaluate it. Thanks again for the mini-critique.

Fab,

Quote, “This is more like "you", or at least the way I remember your older pieces.
    Very interesting harmonies at work here.
    As for the changing moods... you do the "good cop/bad cop" trick.... but someone should tell you that it takes TWO cops to do it!
    Just joking...

If this is more like me, maybe I should go back to the hospital and get new drugs. Lol Yeah, I’m starting to expand my harmonic and rhythmic scope again on this one. Will take awhile before I’m satisfied with the blend of such, but it’s a start.

As for the cop thing, are you sure it wouldn’t take 3 cops to do it, maybe even 4 so they could pair up on this one in order to avoid emotional overload!. Thanks for the reply Fab.

Max,

I think you are the only one that really, really enjoyed this piece. Such an enthusiastic response. Thanks so much, it makes me feel it was worth writing.
    Granted, It is a mishmash of harmonies, rhythms, and moods in this one. I really wasn’t sure it worked. I’m still on the sideline whether it’s good or not, but your post helps . Thanks again for the words of support here.

Graham,

Quote, “This could be a suite of different piano pieces. Perhaps if you were to develop some of them into their own works?”

Interesting thought here. If I understand your concept correctly here, I didn’t even think of developing the melodies/sections into separate pieces. That could actually work. As you know, this is already a piece from a larger collection of piano pieces that I’m working on . But as I often do with my piano collections, I take pieces of them and orchestrate them and make separate compositions from sections of the scores. So it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that you will be hearing parts of this orchestrated at some point in the future.

But, first I have to relearn how to orchestrate again, which will take awhile. My brain isn’t quite firing on all cylinders these days.

Thanks to all of you again for responding,

Cass

First of all, your health problems are worrying me, and hope you are OK now.
    Second, I love this piece. You are talking about contrasting styles, well, you certainly do this in this work. I do not know, which style (I detect at least three) I like the most. The beginning and other"lyrical" parts are just full of emotions, so are the other, more forceful, sometimes even downright angry parts are gorgeous.
    Your talent shows through it all, but to me, your heart is in the last few bars, it got my eye wet, not ashamed to say.
    Bless you, and hope you are recovering to let us hear more...

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    First of all, your health problems are worrying me, and hope you are OK now. Ted
    Thanks for asking Ted. I have several long term health problems (Crohn's being the most challenging) But I'm stable right now which I haven't been for awhile. I'm hoping for a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Second, I love this piece. You are talking about contrasting styles, well, you certainly do this in this work. I do not know, which style (I detect at least three) I like the most. The beginning and other"lyrical" parts are just full of emotions, so are the other, more forceful, sometimes even downright angry parts are gorgeous.
    Your talent shows through it all, but to me, your heart is in the last few bars, it got my eye wet, not ashamed to say.
    Bless you, and hope you are recovering to let us hear more...

Ted
    Ted, you are the first to describe the emotional impact this piece had on you. I really, really, appreciate this because I wrote it for just that reason, a fiery blast of various emotions surrounding the listener. But the last few measures look into the future as a question of....what next? You got all of that. I guess it takes good Hungarian blood to hear whats easily overlooked. Thanks so much for this post!

My best,

Cass

Go Back to forum