• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: when the sun sets (f horn duet)

when the sun sets (f horn duet)

This uses GPO french horns. I added an overlay on each horn which seemed to add more realism to the sound. (at least to my ears anyway.) Please listen and comment.
    Thanks Jay.

Re: when the sun sets (f horn duet)

Bravo, Jay - What an uplifting, and very nicely done duet. Not without surprises also, which ups the pleasure scale even more. Unexpected passages popped up now and then to show me I shouldn't take the piece for granted. Nice.

AND this is a good reminder to me of why you commented that my "Overview" could have had more reverb for your tastes--hehe--these two horn players are in one big venue for sure!

Overlays - definitely adds realism to the GPO horns, good you used them.

I sure enjoyed this - very much!

This is a lovely little piece. All that Randy said is right on. It lolls you into a melodic pattern than it wonders wonderfully off in a new direction. The overlays worked very well as far as I could hear in the piece. My only suggestion is a little more use of breath separation during the musical lines of each player. I heard a few breaks for the players to get a breath but, being a wind player, my lungs ached a few times hoping to hear that needed intake of air. Sing the lines yourself and where you normally need to take a breath is where you probably should give a little space for the player to imply that they are indeed getting that breath. That may help breathe a little more life into this piece (which, honestly doesn't need more to make it marvelous).

Thanks for sharing.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Coincidentally, I have been listening to this lately. It contains many, many works for French horn. In all honesty, Jay, I welcome your fine piece to my ear right along with the master’s!

Shelton, Washington State

You've done something a little different and it turned out very nicely.

I played F horn way back when so I like to hear music with the horn and especially solo horn.

I think this sounds fine but the horn doing the counterpoint as I remember(if I can remember back that far) might have their work cut out for them staying in the low register for that long with possible lip fatigue.

I would maybe try using a baritone for the counterpoint for a live rendition but here the horn works fine.

Great work!

Hey Randy! I seem to be on a reverb kick lately. When I re listen to this, it sounds like these two guys are playing in the "hall of the mountain king" or something like that. I think I have the big room thing out of my system for now. I am pleased that you liked this. For me, when writing counterpoint in this style, I am always concerned about having something come out that sounds like a manufactured piece of music. I don't want it to sound like I just tore a page off of an earlier piece of mine and called it a new song. Anyway, I was surprised that the overlays worked the way they did. I plan to use them more in the future.

Rich! Thanks for the listen. I know what you are saying in regards to the breathing on this. I did take some time to add short rests throughout, but because of the size of the room that I used, the reverb trail obscures them a little. Even with the rests and pauses that I put in this, I agree that it would still be difficult to play from a breathing perspective.

Sean! I appreciate your nice words. Thanks for the listen and comment.

Phil! That is a good point you make about the register of the lower instrument. I did not think of lip fatigue on this, and what makes it worse is that the lower horn has some register leaps also. I will be more aware of that the next time.

I would like to thank you all for listening and commenting. Jay

Fine job, Mister Jay! Nice composition all around.

Thanks for sharing your music with us.

Larry G. Alexander

Hey Larry! Thanks for the listen and comment. It is much appreciated.

Is there an instrument you never scored for?
    I am always amazed by how your musicianship can pour out in very different styles... if I wouldn't have read your nickname in your post I wouldn't tell this was yours. I know I said the same thing about Randy lately... but I also keep in very high consideration your eclecticism in music.
    Pleasant, solid piece. Very well done and thanks for sharing.

Fab! Thanks a lot for the kind words. There are a few styles that I am comfortable with but I am really challenged when I try to do something like Randy Bowser or ployking. I am working on a short, small orchestra piece and it just isn't working for me. I will just have to keep practicing on it. I appreciate your taking time to listen and comment on this.

By the way! "Wumpy and the maggot" has absolutely no meaning whatsoever. I just thought it was a silly name for your nice music. Just some stupid humor on my part.
    Thanks. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast