• Register
  • Help

Topic: Snap, Crackle, & Pop

Share/Bookmark

Snap, Crackle, & Pop

I have that well known problem with my Gigastudio96. I\'ve sent two messages to Nemesys tech support (2 weeks a part), with no response. What wonderful support. Anyway if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it! Here some info:

- getting pops with Gigapiano only (other smaller gigs are ok) I can get pops with as few as 18 notes of polyphony and 30% CPU usage.
    - the pops always occur at the same points in a song.
    - installed a 30gig Western Digital Caviar ATA/66 9.5mS drive, verified it\'s in DMA and 66 m/sec. It\'s on a Promise ATA/66 controller. This is my D: drive. I boot and run Windows 95 from my C: ATA/33 20mS drive. The Gigs and Gigastudio are on the D: drive.
    - 300MHz P2 with 128Megs of 66MHZ SDRAM.
    - Soundblaster Live card.

Thanks very much for any help!
    Van

Re: Snap, Crackle, & Pop

If the pops happens on the same place of a song, it might - just might - be that your GigaPiano sample has pops itself.

[To test]

Play the song from several bars before the pops, and mute one note each time (mute the 1st note and see if there\'s still pops; if not, mute the 2nd note and play again and so on. To mute a note, simply set its velocity to 0.) In this way you might find that there\'s a pop when you press D#4 for 3.5 seconds at velocity 64-96, or something like that.

[To Cure]

If that is the case, export the sample with pops and check it with a wave editor. If you \"see\" a pop in the waveform display, remove it. If the sample seems ok, then it might be harddisk problem. You better optimize - defragment - your harddisk, for the sample that has pops might be divided into seperate locations on your harddisk and thus causes the pop. To find out if this is the case, copy the .gig file to another place and playback the song with the newly copied gig.

Deep White

[This message has been edited by Deep White (edited 08-08-2000).]

Firstly, make sure you are using the latest bios & drivers for your Promise & motherboard. I must say that 30% cpu for 18 notes sounds a bit high (as if DMA is not properly enabled...).

There is also the possibility that the Promise or SBLive is sharing an IRQ with something else - I think that in both these cases you will experience problems.

I have also found that some add-on IDE cards add another 15 - 30ms to the effective harddrive access time! (I do have an idea that this is motherboard-dependendent, what chipset are you using?)

You can download Sisoft Sandra lite if you want to measure it, otherwise you could try swapping your harddrives around (i.e. put D on the ATA/33 controller) - you should be able to set your BIOS to boot from the correct drive, so that you can do the swap without it affecting the windows drive names.

Deep White and CC,
    Thank you VERY much for your help. I did some testing based on your inputs and found something I never would have suspected. By muting the notes one at a time in a song that has very bad pops, I quickly found the it was the third note of the sequence causing the first audible pop. Once I singled out this note, F7 velocity=86, I found that it has a loud pop if you sustain it for about 8 seconds. (even if it is the only note playing back) This only happens with the middle of the three pedal-down velocity layers. So if I strike the note very softly, or very hard and sustain, there is no pop. I have already found several other notes that have loud pops at certain velocities.

So, I tried reloading the .gig from the Gigapiano CD. Same results. Also, my DVD drive was not able to read this CD, so I had to use my much slower CDR/W drive. It did seem to copy the file successfully. Properties on the .gig file says that it is 678,381,398 bytes. Not sure if that is the correct size this file is supposed to be.

Any suggestions on what to do? Has anyone else run into this? I\'m wondering if Nemesys will be reseptive to sending me a new CD. I\'m a registered user, so I sure hope they will send me one!

Thanks again!
    Van
    (BTW, if you\'re interested in hearing some of my music, you can stop by www.mp3.com/VANMUSIC ) I\'m hoping to use the Gigapiano for my next CD.

Hi all
    Really good adive given here so far, I just want to ad one thing . You mentioned that giga studio and your gig samples are on the same drive.
    you should install the giga studio program to your c drive and your gig samples to your seperate d drive , and as mentioned before make sure your d drive is defragmented .
    And ask Nemesys for another giga piano.Ive heard that some of the earlier giga pianos that came with giga studio are corupt.

And after you get it all working don\'t forget how to recreate that snap crakle pop . You never know when someone might ask you to do the sound for a Rice Crispy\'s ad.

Van Sotradis,

It sounds to me that there may still be some system conflict. I don\'t suspect that it is a problem with the sample on the piano. My guess is that particular sample is exercising the harddrive in just the right way to cause the audio to pop. Here is a test which will either prove me right or wrong.

Load up the piano, setup the record to harddrive feature in GigaStudio, play and record the one sample that is giving you problems. I am assuming that you just heard the pop, right? Now take the wave file that you just recorded, and play it back in some other audio app. Do you hear the pop in the recorded sound?

If not, then this would imply that the sample is fine. In this case, the popping is occurring after the synthesizer\'s engine on the audio hardware end. Unfortunately, there are a number of things that can cause an audio stream to pop/click/burp. Obviously, with only a single note of polyphony something is definitely wrong if your audio is popping.

It usually has nothing to do with the Midi In side of the hardware, but rather the audio out side. Are there any other programs resident in your system? Do you have the Creative S/w synthesizer driver loaded in your system? The best bet is to make sure your system is running as clean as possible.

You might try moving the .gig file to your C drive and playing the same note. Does it pop there? If not, then maybe the conflict is between the ATA66 and the sound card. We have identified a problem with HiPoint ATA controllers and older drivers (see our FAQ).

I hope this helps in some way,

regards,
    Joe (NemeSys)

Kenn159,
    Thanks, I will do that.

Joe,
    Thanks very much for replying. I will do that test tonight and let you know.

Van

Kenn159,
    I moved Gigastudio to C:, but it didn\'t help for this particular problem.

Joe,
    I recorded the sequence as you said. The wav file played back exactly as the sequence played, with all the same pops and snaps at the same points in the song.

I ordered a replacement Gigapiano CD online. Let\'s hope this does the trick!

Thanks,
    Van

If you hear noises and pops in all wave files you play back the problem is:

1. From motherboard: download the new drivers
    2. The bios: update your bios if it is flash
    3. From Sound card: load the new SB Live drivers:
    4. try to uncheck the DMA option.

I say all these cause i had a SOYO with VIA chipset and SB lIve and had a terrible problem with pops. After loaded the new Motherboard chipset drivers from VIA and Dissable the DMA option i had no pops to Gigasampler or in any wave file.

Be sure that these problems are not from your giga piano or from hard disk (if the disk is 9.5 ms access time and less)

Chris

Go Back to forum