• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Save Tara - Symphony For an Angel (The First Movement - Save Tara)

Share/Bookmark

Save Tara - Symphony for an Angel (The First Movement - Save Tara)

Uploaded: 03/29/2013

The video footage in this video was taken with my own camera and has been processed to resemble older film. I feel it helps reflect on the "past" where Tara and I shared so much happiness together. The locations where this footage was taken from was Manitoba and British Columbia, "Canada."

Download MP3:
    http://www.save-tara.com/The-First-M...-Save-Tara.zip

After few weeks of composing, editing, and finalizing, I have finally completed the biggest and most complex composition in all of my composing history.

This is the complete First Movement (Save Tara) to Save Tara – Symphony for an Angel. I have already mentioned in the general discussion forum that their will be five movements to this project: First Movement – Save Tara, Second Movement – Love, Third Movement – Sorrow, Forth Movement – Tragedy, Fifth Movement – Angel Tara.

The First Movement – Save Tara, focus on the heart of the memories of Tara. Unlike the four movements to come after this, the first movement is composed of several different passages ranging from courage, hope, sorrow, tragedy, and drama.

Save Tara was meant to reflect upon all of the moments we shared together. It expresses on the love we shared, the happiness, and up to her parting. Save Tara was meant to tell our whole story in a single composition. It is why it is the heart to the memories of her.

The original arrangement to Save Tara was my first composition ever created.

The four movements that are to follow will focus more on the specific events of our story and the memories of her.

Anyways, here it is… the first movement which ends at over 17 minutes. This is the best I can do at my level of composing skill. I want to thank Randy and the rest of you for helping me out with techniques. I also want to thank Randy specifically for encouraging me to use proper dynamics. I guess it’s time to stop being lazy with compositions now.

Save Tara - Symphony for an Angel is being rendered naturally with some equalizing but no limiters for increasing loudness. After comparing two renders one with loudness and one with the natural flow I feel natural was the way to go for this. It allowed a much smoother flow of dynamics and sound as compared to using limiters for pumping up the volume.

The meaning to Save Tara is, "Never let the memories of my angel die, save the memories of Tara."

Save Tara - Symphony for an Angel Website:
    www.save-tara.com

The First Movement Passages:

• Save Tara
    • Tara’s Theme
    • Never Give Up On Her
    • Longing for You
    • She’s My Angel
    • Save the Memories of Tara

*Save Tara and Tara’s theme are played a couple times throughout the movement, they are the main passages o the first movement

The Ensemble Includes:

• Evolving Orchestra (GIO)
    • Lush Orchestra (GIO)
    • Slow Orchestra (GIO)
    • Lush Sordino Strings (GIO)
    • Full Choir (GIO)
    • Legato Soprano Choir (Vienna Soprano Choir)
    • Violin Section (GPO)
    • Viola Section (GPO)
    • Cello Section (GPO)
    • Cello - Solo (GPO)
    • Marcato Sharp Attack Strings (GIO)
    • Portato Attack Strings (GIO)
    • Organic Brass (GIO)
    • Wagner Brass (GIO)
    • French Horn Overlays (GPO)
    • Tuba - Solo (GPO)
    • Flute - Solo (GPO)
    • Oboe - Solo (GPO)
    • English Horn - Solo (GPO)
    • Bassoon - Solo (GPO)
    • Harp (GPO)
    • Piano (GPO)
    • Timpani (GIO)
    • Tubular Bells (GIO)
    • Various Metals (EWQLSO Silver)
    • Earth Metals (GIO)
    • Full Orchestra Percussion (GIO)

The Libaries Used:

• Garritan Instant Orchestra
    • Garritan Personal Orchestra
    • Vienna Soprano Choir (Female Choir)
    • EWQLSO Silver (Vaious metals only)

*Can somebody please tell me what instrument that magical metal thing is! I am dying to know it’s used several times throughout the movement.

*I am glad I purchased GPO, it made a huge difference in this project.

I all hope you enjoy listening to this!

“Created in the loving memory of Tara.”

Re: Save Tara - Symphony For an Angel (The First Movement - Save Tara)

Congratulations, Richard, on your epic achievement. As we've grown to expect, your recordings sound lush, beautiful, and right there in the pocket of the game genre you love.

I know it's a huge undertaking, your new, expanded versions of the Tara music - You must be feeling a good, satisfying sense of accomplishment.

And this marriage of GPO and IO - I'm glad that's worked out so well for you. I remember when not that long ago you were debating whether to get World or IO first, and you were tending towards World. This was a great move, to get GPO so you have all those orchestral solos to go with the IO sections. You're certainly using the two Libraries together very well.

In keeping with the styles you emulate, this is really more of a medley of themes, and not what we traditionally mean by a movement in a symphony, but that doesn't matter, it can be called whatever you want really - It's a big, grand stream of epically romantic and tragic sound, just as you intended.

I had trouble finding where to click at first - I thought the picture at the top would have the link, then thought the .com link half way down would take me there. You might have more listeners if you had the video link up there in the first half of your post - I know some people run through the Forum so fast and impatiently, they could miss the link if they don't stay on the post long enough.

You've asked before what the "magical metal thing" is - but I don't know which sound/instrument to which you're referring. Isn't it labeled when you load it? Or is it part of an percussion patch that has a lot of sounds loaded together? The Garritan manuals list what all the different sounds are in patches - I haven't looked, not being sure what patch to look at, but I think you might find the name of what you're looking for in the manual.

Thanks for the music, Richard.

Randy

Thanks for listening Randy. I admit... I am very weak when with the knowledge of terms, perhaps symphony was the wrong term to call this project. Basically, what I am doing for this project is similar to the YS 95 Symphony which is basically a orchestral mock up of compositions from the game itself they divided them into five movements but is practically the same thing as I am doing but instead I'm creating based on real life events, not sure why they labeled it like that.

However, it's never too late to change the names! I was thinking rather than movements I could use chapters to help distinguish this. As for the sub-title Symphony for an Angel, I definitely want to keep things real. Based on what I know now with the feedback I gotten on the project so far it kind of falls similar to when I used to call compositions songs. So, I am going to think of a new subtitle in the coming days to keep things real.

I am definitely going to do some more research on music theory I am thinking of getting a book to help or even just searching online. To be honest, lol, before a couple weeks ago I thought the term symphony was an expression for musical story: to tell a story through music. So I am glad for all this valuable feedback so far!

Thanks for pointing out the positioning with the picture and video. I switched the picture with the with the video.

Here is a solo sample of the magical metal thing:
    http://www.save-tara.com/metal.wav

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ... I am very weak when with the knowledge of terms, perhaps symphony was the wrong term to call this project...

Here is a solo sample of the magical metal thing:
    http://www.save-tara.com/metal.wav

Regards,

Richard
    Richard, I strongly encourage you to stay with the "Symphony" descriptor. "Symphony For An Angel" is a good, apt title. Symphony originally meant something rather specific, but as with many terms, it's become a more generic word used for orchestral pieces - So, please, it doesn't matter. I was just typing away, responding to your post, and I wanted to say that what you have is a medley of themes, but I didn't mean to make you self conscious about what you're calling the music. Really - It's fine.

Here's a good Wiki about symphonies I found just now:

Symphony information

AND thank you for posting the sample of the instrument you were wondering about. Mark Tree! Here's another Wiki, and you'll see a picture of that percussion instrument along with a description. Very commonly used for dreamy, magical, romantic pieces. From just looking at the picture, you'll understand how it works - You sweep your finger or a stick across the hanging little metal tubes, in either direction, and there you have it:

Mark Tree information

Randy

Thanks for the share Randy, this is indeed interesting. AND THANK YOU for revealing the instrument... I have been wondering what that was since I first got EWQLSO Silver years ago. I always use it lol. I always just called it the magical metal thing LOL!

Thanks for the encouraging to keep the same title, I was actually glad you brought up the melodies and how it's not the traditional symphony. Composingatnight brought up the symphony term as well a week or so a go. So, I feared I may have been taking a wrong path for the last little while in the title in regards to terms. I want the best for this project as possible and I didn't want to make any errors because of my limited knowledge.

Thanks again for the share and the brief explanation for symphony.

I have also just uploaded the mp3.
    http://www.save-tara.com/The-First-M...-Save-Tara.zip

Regards,

Richard

I have updated the video. The original was just a static image with the music. This is the real video that describes the music. I have been working on this for some time parallel to my composition but only finished the video today.

The video footage in this video was taken with my own camera and has been processed to resemble older film. I feel it helps reflect on the "past" where Tara and I shared so much happiness together. The locations where this footage was taken from was Manitoba and British Columbia, "Canada."

I have also updated the first thread in the topic to reflect upon the changes.

Hi Surrick,

First, I would like to spend a word on 'Symphony'. Traditionally we consider this genre as a classical construction in four parts, with an internal setup in well defined forms. In this perspective, you haven't written a symphony. But the original meaning of the word (translated from ancient Greek) is: everything that sounds together well. Bach, Vivaldi... wrote symphonies in a totally different way and with a contrasting form. They kept the original meaning of the word.

Now about your music. You have really learnt how to use various libraries together and to build a decent ensemble with an epic sound. And the themes you present are definitely born out of emotion. That is what music is all about: emotion. A cerebral construction can never appeal to people as much as music with pure emotion. My website bears the title" "Music is the language of the world". That is exactly what I mean here: no matter what race or age you are, everybody understands emotions.

A big round of applause for you!

Max

You have built a very rich and emotional texture. The rendering is quite nice. I do not know the background of the dedication but from the music it is obvious it runs deep. This is a very fine tribute.

On the question of theory, it sounds like you are self taught. I had some private instruction in guitar and theory as a teenager and it was quite good as far as it went, which was in jazz performance and improvisation. My classical theory/training-such as it is-is by and large the product of self study. There are many books available and with the assistance of notation and DAW software I have been able to work through a number of them. But I have to say that the most concise, clear and understandable book for me has been Techniques and Materials of Tonal Music by Benjamin/Horvit and Nelson. I "borrowed" it from openlibary.org and then ordered it from amazon. It was very inexpensive. I have also found Tonal Harmony in Concept and Practice by Alan Forte quite useful. For counterpoint you can get the classic Fux work and I would also recommend Counterpoint in Composition by Salzer and Schachter. Of course you will have to find what works best for you. There are public domain scores of the classics available online for download and you can always find the music to follow along with on youtube. Also I have found the online orchestration course on this site to be invaluable. If you are like me you long ago made your schooling and career decisions. I am past the point of being able to return to school, having practiced a profession for many years. While there is no substitute for formal study, do not underestimate what you can accomplish with some discipline, determination, study, technology and the help of forums such as this one.

@Max:
    Thank you very much for the feedback on this. This is my all out effort and best I can do at the moment. I really want to thank you for your explanation of the traditional term of Symphony. When I started this it was meant for the memory of Tara, but the structured format I had was from a game Symphony (simulated or incorrect based on what I know now). It was called YS Symphony 95. They separated several passages to the game into five separate movement which did basically the same thing I did now, but instead of game music I composed and arranged different past themes I created for Tara and combined it into one giant 1st movement. It was the same thing they did. I was inspired by how they did that so I I figured I would do the same thing. But I am so glad that I joined this community. I am learning so much important detail that will matter in the future of my music, and it is because of everyone helping me. Thanks a lot Max for the explanation.

@Richard
    Thank you very much for you kind feedback. Save Tara was my first composition ever made and was created for the memories of the girl I loved, "Tara." I didn't know how to make music at the time, but I just wanted something from my heart to express on her. So I spent a lot of time just trying to find the sound I wanted to remember her by. Then it came... I had no music understanding, which notes go with which notes... I created Save Tara with the pictures of her in my mind and the sounds that reflected upon her. I have continued creating expanding and mastering this composition for many years up until now. This is the last arrangement I am doing for Save Tara. I feel that I have done it. It is complete. Thank you for providing me this list of resources. I want to get better at this. I am indeed self taught... and want to improve. I have already began improving with the help of Randy and his encouragement to use the full potential of midi. I am going to take a look at these. Thanks again for the information, kind feedback, and help, Richard.

Regards,

Richard

Wonderful achievement, and a sound to match your vision - lush and beautiful. An epic undertaking given the scope you've set yourself. It's clear the passion and memories you hold will carry you flying through to the end of this labour of love. Well done.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast