• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steel Drums

Share/Bookmark

Steel Drums

I am an idiot at this stuff. But, I want to know how a I add a steel drum sample to my list of instruments for Aria to play. I have downloaded a steel drum sample set with it's sfz, but don't know what to do next to make it available. Help?

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Steel Drums

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I am an idiot at this stuff. But, I want to know how a I add a steel drum sample to my list of instruments for Aria to play. I have downloaded a steel drum sample set with it's sfz, but don't know what to do next to make it available. Help?

Best regards,
    Bill
    I'll tell you the secret, Bill, but only if you share the Steel Drum - Really, I'd like to have that. Was it a free download? If so--could you post the link? If you paid for it - well, that's a different story. Post the site where you found it?

Anyway--Simple to do, and this is how you can add anything with an SFZ file to ARIA, like my Autoharp:

1) Get organized and create an "SFZ Instruments" folder in a logical place. I have mine in the Cakewalk master folder in Program Files. It's there along with other important folders like "VSTplugins."

2) Place your SFZ instrument in the master SFZ Instruments folder. Don't change the architecture of the instrument. The SFZ file itself, which is a text file, and the audio samples are usually in the same folder. Keep things exactly as they were programmed.

3) Open ARIA either in stand-alone or as a plugin in your recording program.

4) Go to load an instrument in ARIA, only this time, instead of going down to your list of Garritan Libraries, use the third option down, "Import." A browser pops open. Use the directional arrows at the top to go to the SFZ Instruments master folder you created. Inside the Steel Drums folder, at the top, will be the SFZ file. Click that. TA DA - loaded and ready.

Third party instruments like that won't have the bells and whistles you're used to with Garritan instrument in ARIA, but they'll still play perfectly fine.

There's also a way to make extra instruments like this show up in a list, like the Garritan instruments - but there's no real advantage. It's easy to import as I've explained, and once you've opened an instrument that way, the browser will now default to that SFZ Instrument folder, so you never have to go very far to find an instrument to load.

Have fun!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'll tell you the secret, Bill, but only if you share the Steel Drum - Really, I'd like to have that. Was it a free download? If so--could you post the link? If you paid for it - well, that's a different story. Post the site where you found it?

Anyway--Simple to do, and this is how you can add anything with an SFZ file to ARIA, like my Autoharp:

1) Get organized and create an "SFZ Instruments" folder in a logical place. I have mine in the Cakewalk master folder in Program Files. It's there along with other important folders like "VSTplugins."

2) Place your SFZ instrument in the master SFZ Instruments folder. Don't change the architecture of the instrument. The SFZ file itself, which is a text file, and the audio samples are usually in the same folder. Keep things exactly as they were programmed.

3) Open ARIA either in stand-alone or as a plugin in your recording program.

4) Go to load an instrument in ARIA, only this time, instead of going down to your list of Garritan Libraries, use the third option down, "Import." A browser pops open. Use the directional arrows at the top to go to the SFZ Instruments master folder you created. Inside the Steel Drums folder, at the top, will be the SFZ file. Click that. TA DA - loaded and ready.

Third party instruments like that won't have the bells and whistles you're used to with Garritan instrument in ARIA, but they'll still play perfectly fine.

There's also a way to make extra instruments like this show up in a list, like the Garritan instruments - but there's no real advantage. It's easy to import as I've explained, and once you've opened an instrument that way, the browser will now default to that SFZ Instrument folder, so you never have to go very far to find an instrument to load.

Have fun!

Randy
    Ah, yes, you told me this before with the install of the thumb piano. It's all coming back to me now, "SLowly I turned, step by step..."

Thanks Randy.

As far as the sample, it was FREE. I got it at this site: Lead Steel Drum
    Its about halfway down the page. There are several of them, I don't know the difference. I just took the first one in the list.

Have fun with it. I'm off to create Jamaica, mon, soon be back, no mon?

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

...Its about halfway down the page. There are several of them, I don't know the difference. I just took the first one in the list...
    Hey, Bill - I'm looking at this "Kara-Moon" site, and I see the Steel Drums - but I'm not seeing any in the SFZ format. The reason there are so many copies of the same instrument listed, is because there are 7 different formats available. That first one is for Halion. Next is for Reason, then SampleTank - etc.

The last one, the 7th on the list, is in SF2 format - soundfont format. With the addition of instrument conversion now available in the newest ARIA, that should load and then the user will have the opportunity of saving the converted version as an SFZ instrument - I haven't downloaded this Steel Drum yet, - I'll check into it later today.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hey, Bill - I'm looking at this "Kara-Moon" site, and I see the Steel Drums - but I'm not seeing any in the SFZ format. The reason there are so many copies of the same instrument listed, is because there are 7 different formats available. That first one is for Halion. Next is for Reason, then SampleTank - etc.
    Randy

I took the first one in the list - and it worked fine in the Aria Engine. I posted a song in the listening room. When you have a chance, take a listen.

Bill

P.S. Thanks for the help, again...

Challenge #10 Winner

I took the first one in the list - and it worked fine in the Aria Engine. I posted a song in the listening room...
    Nice! Yes, that first one works great - As I downloaded it, there was more text in the title, in parenthesis it said (+SFZ format) - Very cool, making it work instantly in ARIA with no hassles. I see now that Halion must be an SFZ sample player also.

Earlier I'd used the SF2 version, using the cool new built-in sample converter in ARIA. Dragged the SF2 on to ARIA, and it generated an SFZ version, automatically deposited in the "ARIA Converted" folder I'd set up previously. This way worked but had its issues. Numerous errors came up, "Macro not defined" was listed several times, "Unknown section" was listed three times, and in the SFZ file that was generated it said "bad loop" and "EG WITHOUT TARGET" all over the place.

Despite all that, it worked, and the results sound the same as using the Halion/SFZ file - but with those errors popping up every time the instrument's opened, obviously the converted version is not the way to go. If an SFZ file of something already exists, that's obviously the first choice to make.

Only issue for me is that there's no difference between the regular Steel Drum and the second SFZ file which is supposed to feature rolls - The same samples play in both SFZ files, with no rolls. Did you check that out, Bill?

Excellent find - This Steel Drum sounds really nice, and turns out to be super easy to install.

Randyh

Hey guys... I've just returned from a brief cruise in the caribbean sea
    Your Montego Magic does score highly in the "atmosphere" department, Bill, and those steel drums do add so much to it. I haven't had the possibility to listen to the original version without steel drums, but I see why they should definitely be there.
    Very very pleasant, I feel tanned, too

Seen that this has become our small "sfz tweaker"club... ...

I actually found a way to integrate new sfz programs into Aria. "Import" option works fine, but one has no reverb, no eq, no panning...
    Unfortunately the user can not add libraries into Aria. What we can do, though, is expand existing libraries with new programs with a bit of hard coding. For example... let's say we want to add Bill's steel drums into GPO's pitched percussion section. What we do is first of all copy the samples' files into Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Samples\3.Percussion\Pitched. Once done this, we have to write the sfz file for the instrument. Basically, the easiest way is using an already existing GPO pitched percussion instrument, like Xylophone KS, and substitute all "region" tags with the ones in Bill's sfz steel drum file. OF COURSE we do not want to overwrite the Xylophone file. We want to copy its content in another file, substitute the region tags and save the file with an appropriate name, like "Steel Drums KS.sfz" (without quotes, of course), either directly in the folder Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Intruments\3.Percussion or save it somewhere handy, like your Desktop, and then copy paste it to the above directory.
    The last step is telling GPO to add the file to its sound banks, therefore we have to edit the appropriate bank file. Bank files are in Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Banks\Standard and seize the file GPO.PPT.bank. Make a back up of it, in case anything should go wrong, then open it with your notepad and APPEND AFTER this set of tags (end of the file, just prior to "</AriaBank>":

<AriaProgram id="008" name="Standard/3. Percussion/Xylophone KS" gui="../../GUI/var1_var2.xml" category="Pitched Percussion">
    <AriaElement id="0" path="../../Instruments/3. Percussion/Xylophone KS.sfz">
    <Define name="$set_sw_default_cc" value=" " />
    <Define name="$set_sw_default_key" value="sw_lokey=60 sw_hikey=62 sw_default=60" />
    </AriaElement>
    </AriaProgram>
    this other set:

<AriaProgram id="009" name="Standard/3. Percussion/Steel Drums KS" gui="../../GUI/var1_var2.xml" category="Pitched Percussion">
    <AriaElement id="0" path="../../Instruments/3. Percussion/Steel Drums KS.sfz">
    <Define name="$set_sw_default_cc" value=" " />
    <Define name="$set_sw_default_key" value="sw_lokey=60 sw_hikey=62 sw_default=60" />
    </AriaElement>
    </AriaProgram>
    Fire Aria up and the new program should appear in the standard bank> percussions>pitched percussion, fully working with access to var1 and var2, keyswitch with rolls on release, ambience, eq... all you normally have in Aria.
    Sounds complicated. It is not, and you will not do any harm to your installation if something goes wrong, if you only take care of backing up the BANK file so to have the possibility to roll back to the old one.

Fab

Fab, way to cool! I will have to tinker with this. (So you were int he Caribbean - I want to go!!!)

Anyways. I like your thoughts and will have to give them a try!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Aeeehm...Bill, you did get that my only caribbean cruise was due to your very enjoyable Montego Magic, right?

If you do try to tweak those programs, do not forget to substitute all the sets of the region tags. In many GPO programs region sets are repeated many times according to possible articulations and playing styles offered by the emulated instrument. Each set features the same regions, they are only repeated. You have to substitute each set with a full set (3 layers, I noticed) of the Steel Drums sfz you have found.
    If you need any help, I am here.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Aeeehm...Bill, you did get that my only caribbean cruise was due to your very enjoyable Montego Magic, right?

If you need any help, I am here.

Fab
    Yes, I know I gave you that cruise, but I really want to go back. Did it with my daughter, her husband, my wife and me. A great time and well missed.

I will certainly accept your help. Thanks.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum