• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Discovering Pirate´s Nest

Discovering Pirate´s Nest

Perhaps it is not the best time to post my first song here, but I do it anyway...

Discovering Pirate´s Nest

What do you think ?

Re: Discovering Pirate´s Nest

Hehehe. When I read the title of this post, I thought you had found some sample pirates and reported them...

Seriously though, this very good. I really like the changes in dynamics. It builds up very nicely.

What choir library was used in this demo?

I think it sounds nice, very Media Venturish.

The sugestion I would make is to work a bit more on the horns.
    I think they are too dry, and you have some problems with too slow attack on some notes, I\'m guessing because of changing from marcato/portato tu straight note patches..

Also the horns go all over the stereo image, is it DDBE?

Wow , that´s nice. My cut of tea. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Actually I think this is the best time to put some music here.Thank you!!!What is these horns? Sam horns I guess!?!?

Originally posted by £e petit Prïnçe:
    Perhaps it is not the best time to post my first song here, but I do it anyway...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Believe me, it\'s the best time! It\'s like soundtrack to all the tension happening here at the NS forum right now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kidding aside, I think your pirate track is awesome! I just love the horn section that you used.

Congratulations and keep posting your music.

Brass: SAM Horns and Trombones
    Strings, Woods: Oops... Miroslav [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Choir: VotA Angels
    Percussion: mainly G-Town

It was meant absolutely Media Venturish, so I take this as a compliment for my ability to copy a style [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sometimes, when god wants, I will also find my own style, but that´s way ahead...

And I wanted the Horns \"in your face\", so I made only little placement, because in Soundtracks, I hear the horns very middle when they become very loud. They capture all the stereo-image like pirates [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

leogardini and nhick: thanx a lot

Wow, great stuff! And what I like most about it: it\'s got a great, solid theme. Very nice indeed.

A couple suggestions: work on the horn section. Create a few separate MIDI tracks and mix up staccatos with marcatos and such. It will give you a more realistic sound. I can\'t stress this enough.

Hey Lex,

Very nice piece indeed. I also like the harpichord (sample or synth?). Do you know John Debney\'s Pirates score? Also some very effective use of harpsichord in one of the opening tracks.

Besides the tips on doing some tweaking with note lengths and alternate samples for the horns, I would also (still) pan them a lot more to the left. Then, try to create some slapback echo or early reflections projected to the right channel.

I think the bones could be louder, also. And for an MV sound you never have enough drums and ambience in the drums (ahem, sorry Tob).

What I personally dislike in VotA is the low-pass filtering on several patches, linked to velocity. Did your patch also have that effect? I have the impression the choir is lacking too much mid to highs.

A nice quote from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack CD box: \"Overproduced by Hans Zimmer\" - such a nice tongue-in-cheek remark to cover up how they overcompressed and even clipped the mix at some points ;-) So, try some compression and brickwall limiting as well [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Final tip: put a low synth bass under the CBSs. Klaus\' Pirates is full of it. Here\'s a very short test I did a few weeks ago with that trick:

MV Test Peter

I meant Media Venturish as a compliment. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Work a bit more on the Horns, and it will sound even better.

Very Good Tune!!,
    I can see a Greate \"Spanihs Galleon\" across the sea..............,
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum