• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: For Dave Govett

Share/Bookmark

OT: For Dave Govett

Hey Dave,

Thanks a bunch for the response on my other thread.

What I am wanting to do is use my C drive that I use now since I already have all of the programs installed on it (along with Windows 98 in it as well) and add the new hard drive for audio/gigs and the CD/DVD player and my Delta 1010 soundcard.
    Will I run into problems using the C drive (with Win 98 on it) putting it into a new 2.4 GHz P4 with new ram and a new motherboard?

Will regular Win 98 work with a gig of ram or do I have to have Win 98 SE?

Thanks a bunch,

Damon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: OT: For Dave Govett

Why not WinXP? Win98 just sucks when it comes to memory management, especially if you\'re upgrading to a new motherboard it\'s possible you\'ll run into tons of problems with driver support and all.

I don\'t recommend just putting in the new mobo with the old OS installed, there\'s a good chance it won\'t even boot (speaking from experience here, I tried same a year or two ago).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Damon:
    Hey Dave,

Thanks a bunch for the response on my other thread.

What I am wanting to do is use my C drive that I use now since I already have all of the programs installed on it (along with Windows 98 in it as well) and add the new hard drive for audio/gigs and the CD/DVD player and my Delta 1010 soundcard.
    Will I run into problems using the C drive (with Win 98 on it) putting it into a new 2.4 GHz P4 with new ram and a new motherboard?

Will regular Win 98 work with a gig of ram or do I have to have Win 98 SE?

Thanks a bunch,

Damon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This would be a terrible choice on several levels.

First, your OS customizes itself to the hardware that\'s present upon installation. All that hardware that\'s hardwired to your motherboard has drivers, which Windows loads and recognizes (just like the hardware you put in slots). If you just transfer a working OS to a new bunch of hardware, it boots then starts looking for the hardware it\'s expecting to see. Of course, it now sees none of it. So it starts trying to load drivers for the new stuff it does see.

What you\'ll get (at best) is about six or seven reboots, Windows asking for discs (if it can even see your disc drives with the new configuration) and when you\'re done, you\'ll have an unstable OS that may or may not even work.

Forget your methodology, in other words.

Start with a freshly formatted drive, load your OS, then load your programs. This is nothing compared to the continuing pain in the butt you\'d bring onto yourself with the other method.

And I agree 100% with the recommendation about Win XP. Don\'t even think about loading 98 or 98 SE onto the new generation of hardware--Windows 9x in most cases won\'t be able to use it effectively, and you\'ll end up with a lot of wasted capability.

Depending on your hardware, Windows XP works great with Giga. The people who have had trouble are using hardware with sketchy drivers, or are assuming that what worked under Win98 should automatically work under XP. That will not be the case. But given a solid professional card with modern GSIF drivers, you\'ll have a very solid, and very fast and capable installation.

and if you don\'t know what GSIF (GigaStudio kernel driver) is and even less what is a compatible card, here\'s a list I snipped from the GigaStudio v2.5 README file:

------------------------------
    At the time of this release the current list of Windows 2000/Xp
    audio drivers that are compatible with v2.5:

Frontier
    WaveCenter - Beta 5 or later.
    Dakota - Beta 5 or later.

TasCAM
    US428 - v3.06 or later
    PCI 822

MIDIMAN
    Delta Series(1010/AudioPhile/66/44) - see midiman web site

SoundScape
    Mixtreme - V2.1.30.3 or later

Echo
    Layla20/24 - Beta .66 or later
    Gina/24
    Darla/24
    Mia
    Mona
    Layla24/Mona24 (pcmcia adapter)

MOTU
    2408 MkII
    2408 (FireWire)
    NOTE: At the time when these release notes were written, the MOTU drivers
    required that they be installed AFTER the GigaStudio is installed.
    The GSIF portion of the MOTU driver only enables itself if it detects
    an already installed GigaStudio. Therefore, if you install GigaStudio
    on a system that already has the MOTU driver installed, then the
    GSIF portion of the drivers will not be enabled and GigaStudio
    can not be used with your MOTU hardware. The easy solution is
    to reinstall the MOTU driver AFTER you install the GigaStudio.
    MOTU has mentioned they are working on a utility to enable GSIF
    portion of their driver, independent of the driver install, and
    that it would be available as a download. Please check with MOTU
    for the latest information on this utility.

EGO Sys
    WamiRack - Please check with EgoSys. We have tested a beta
    version of their driver. It works well at certain buffer settings,
    but was having trouble at other. They will be cleaning up the
    driver shortly
    NOTE: The Wami rack drivers come with GSIF option disabled. You must
    manually go into the WAMI drivers control panel and enable the GSIF
    before running GigaStudio.

RME cards
    Hammerfall Series

Drivers still under development: (Please check with the manufacturer\'s)

Terratec

----------------

Also, as Mr Richardson pointed out before, don\'t bother running windows 98 or even worse; ME. Spare the headaches and get rock-solid stability with WindowsXP. It\'s the first OS (apart from OSX sans the Blobs(tm) ) that I have ever liked [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Follow Bruce\'s advice. What you intend to do will not work very well at all. Format, reinstall, that is the way to go. XP is obviously the superior and more stable way to go but keep in mind, that it will use more of your RAM than 98, leaving much less for Giga buffering.
    Cheers
    Dave

Thanks a bunch for the replies and advice guys. Guess I need to decide on which OS to run. I would like to take advantage of using more ram with 98, but would like XP also. hmmmmm....

Damon,...now you\'re jsut being a wanker posting all these stupid Topics to specific people

Theres this thing called Email.... Its pretty amazing you know.

you can even do a thing called \"carbon copy\", sending out one email to multiple people. You should really check it out, its like the telephone, expect not real time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

seriously dude. I generally dont care about off topic posts here, but I stated once before that you cant let it get out of hand.

I\'ve emailed a few people King, but I can\'t seem to connect to mIRC again and I\'ve tried multiple EFnet clients [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . Sorry for the OT.

Go Back to forum