• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dance of the courtiers

Share/Bookmark

Dance of the courtiers

Hello, it's been a while since my last post here, but during the last couple of days I made this little medieval pastiche, experimenting and improvising with the various instruments in GPO4. In the end I used the flute, oboe, bassoons, horns, harp and timpani for this piece. Hope you like it....

https://soundcloud.com/grep101/dance-of-the-courtiers

Halvor

Re: Dance of the courtiers

I loved this since the first note. The phrasing sounds so authentic, it is absolutely spot on on the rythmical side and your flute is a winner.... overall, this is a real delight.

Congrats.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    I loved this since the first note. The phrasing sounds so authentic, it is absolutely spot on on the rythmical side and your flute is a winner.... overall, this is a real delight.

Congrats.

Fab
    Thanks for all the encouraging words, Fab! The flute part should perhaps ideally be played with a soprano recorder, but the vibrato flute (and the other instruments) in GPO still did a pretty good job. Thanks for listening.
    Halvor

This is a lovely piece. Very,very skillful, bright, great arranging talent and it is nice to hear work so conservatively done in today's dissonance.
    Bravo, and post more often, please

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by halvor View Post
    Hello, it's been a while since my last post here, but during the last couple of days I made this little medieval pastiche, experimenting and improvising with the various instruments in GPO4. In the end I used the flute, oboe, bassoons, horns, harp and timpani for this piece. Hope you like it....

https://soundcloud.com/grep101/dance-of-the-courtiers

Now there's a name from the past which is great to see pop up again - Halvor! I wish you could do me a favor, do All of us a favor, and stick with us! Hang out here - Make it part of your daily routine even. And post more music again!

Absolutely loved your "little Medieval pastiche" - So smartly done, I loved every second of it. As the others have said, the mood you've conjured feels perfect.

And sure, it would be nice to have a Recorder to work with, and other old instruments (--check out Garritan World if you haven't - full set of Recorders in that, and other antique instruments) - BUT one thing about your recording is it's an excellent demonstration of how the most important element in our computer productions is HOW we use what we have. Achieving excellence doesn't depend on having what we might think of as The Crucial sample sets - Like people thinking the only way they can compose in a modern cinematic style is to spend thousands of $s - nooo, those sets are nice to emulate the sound, but since composition is the most critical element, using more modest sounds/instruments is all a creative person needs to do the primary job - composing.

GPO's instruments work fine for this, and the main reason they do, is because you used them brilliantly.

Randy

A very nice medieval piece. The feel and sound is very authentic to me. (not that I would know) but it sounds like a medieval piece. I think that you definitely got the sound that you wanted on this. Thanks for the post.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

And sure, it would be nice to have a Recorder to work with, and other old instruments (--check out Garritan World if you haven't - full set of Recorders in that, and other antique instruments) - BUT one thing about your recording is it's an excellent demonstration of how the most important element in our computer productions is HOW we use what we have. Achieving excellence doesn't depend on having what we might think of as The Crucial sample sets - Like people thinking the only way they can compose in a modern cinematic style is to spend thousands of $s - nooo, those sets are nice to emulate the sound, but since composition is the most critical element, using more modest sounds/instruments is all a creative person needs to do the primary job - composing.

Randy
    I LOVE this wise man!

(even if he doesn't listen to the slap on my clarinet!)

Yes, Halvor, ideally a recorder would sit just fine in there. Even more ideally, this piece should be performed live. On the other hand, this would work perfectly even if you'd hum/whistle all parts just with your mouth.

Fab

Hi Halvor,

I do agree with all the comments so far: a brilliant piece of medieval atmosphere. The instrumentation you've made is just fine. A recorder could add something authentic, but the flute sounds lovely too. Throughout the piece, you centred your music round a pentatonic scale with the cantus firmus technique (flute, bassoon) supported by a vivacious rhythm to create the dance. You took maximum profit out of little means, which is a proof of superb orchestration.

Congrats and show us more!

Max

Super medieval sound - that flute performance is top notch, can't fault it. I can picture this in any soundtrack for a tavern scene in a role-playing game.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks you so much for all the feedback and nice remarks, everyone!

I'm glad you enjoyed my little piece and find the sound to be quite authentic, although my I must say intention was not to make a strictly medieval piece. I could not resist some slightly romantic chord progressions, I'll guess the beginning of the piece is a testimony of that. So the piece is perhaps more like a pastiche, resembling the older times, but also reflecting some modern influence. Some of you may have heard the "ancient dances" by Respighi. Here you can clearly hear the style of the renaissance dance music, but also the romantic style of the composer. That is probably why I don't really mind using instruments like modern timpani and flutes.

Of course, it would be very interesting to also try out the piece with more "authentic" instruments. Hmmm...I think I have "Ethno world 4" installed somewhere, I think, and perhaps also some renaissance flutes in the old giga-format. Maybe I should try them out... Anyway.. I think the GPO flute especially is very agile and easy to use, so I'm still quite happy with that one.

I must also confess that I'm not completely familiar with the esthetics of medieval music, which is probably why a melody in parallel fourths/fifths sometimes strangely resembles Stravinsky more than something made a thousand years ago.
    Halvor

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast