• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is my release trigger methodology hosed?

Is my release trigger methodology hosed?

Maybe I\'m on crack..but aren\'t release triggers supposed to be done in the following manner:

Start recording via microphone. Play and hold note on instrument, long enough to provide a loopable section. Stop playing instrument. Stop recording. Go to the studio...

Load up WAV into editor of choice. Find good loopable section, mark it as a sustaining looped region. Select the region starting from the END of the looped region, to the very end of the WAV where the instrument stops playing/decays. Cut, and paste into new file. Save that new file as your release WAV, save the other as your sustain WAV. Then go into GSEdit, create new instrument, new region, map stuff, etc. etc.

So theoretically, I should be able to open an instrument\'s release sample, paste it into the end of the sustain sample, and it should be totally seamless, right? Maybe not. I tried this with VOTA and SAM Horns, and it was close..but it was not seamless. So I\'d like to know, what is the real way to do release samples? Maybe I\'m off with my whole theory [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but it seems to work pretty well though.

Re: Is my release trigger methodology hosed?

The release trigger sample should be roughly from the point that the instrument stops sounding until the end of the reverb decay. Or it can be from the point that the instrument stops making it\'s primary tone and could just be some body resonance or characteristic click. The loop points shouldn\'t affect where you cut the release trail off. You then have to use the sampler engine to fade out the main sample and fade in the release trail. It can be seamless if the release trail matches the tone of the main sample.

Nick nailed it.. but to add

in your idea, remember that its note offs that trigger the release trigger. So the RT can end up being triggered in the middle of a loop.

What you want is a release trigger that will sound as natural as possible being triggered at any part of the sustain tone (and attack tone as well if possible Like SI did)

The guys are explaining how to make a release trigger which sounds good. One question remains - why doesn\'t yours sound right?

The current system for release is unique and innovative - but it\'s the first iteration and will definitely benefit from future developments.

Currently, although you can choose different samples for different velocity release triggers, you can\'t choose different samples depending on how long a note is held. Once you can do this, you\'ll be able to match the character of sustain samples to release samples much better. In the meantime, a fair bit of tweaking (and sometimes compromise) can result in a useable result.

Go Back to forum