• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vladimir Cosma - Sirba (Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire)

Share/Bookmark

Vladimir Cosma - Sirba (Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire)

He everyone.

Here is my latest piece. It's called Sirba. This piece was written by Vladimir Cosma in 1972 for the french comedy "Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire". Initially written for Pan flute, played by George Zamfir, the version I've rebuilt has been arranged by Vladimir Cosma for concert band. I have used most Garritan Libraries: COMB2, JABB3, Steinway, GPO4 and World Instruments and 3 other additional libraries

You can listen to it here:
    https://soundcloud.com/boulifb/sirba

Or here:
    https://www.box.com/s/p4z25lomm6db7ljezubr

Any comments are welcome.

I hope you'll like the massive work I've made.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Vladimir Cosma - Sirba (Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire)

The arrangement and render on this is great. It does have kind of a comedy feel to it. Nice use of libraries. Thanks for posting this. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    He everyone.

Here is my latest piece. It's called Sirba. This piece was written by Vladimir Cosma in 1972 for the french comedy "Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire". Initially written for Pan flute, played by George Zamfir, the version I've rebuilt has been arranged by Vladimir Cosma for concert band. I have used most Garritan Libraries: COMB2, JABB3, Steinway, GPO4 and World Instruments and 3 other additional libraries

You can listen to it here:
    https://soundcloud.com/boulifb/sirba

Or here:
    https://www.box.com/s/p4z25lomm6db7ljezubr

Any comments are welcome.

I hope you'll like the massive work I've made.

Best,

Fred.
    You hope I like it, Fred? What if I Love it?--hope that's OK, because I do.

What a very fun piece of music, and you've produced it gorgeously --wow. - You said 3 other Libraries - It's great when we know what all goes into a piece, so for the sake of our curiosity, maybe you could list them for us?

AND Thank you for putting up the Box link - Much to be preferred over SoundCloud, since Box is a pure copy of the original, not compressed like at SC.

Congrats on a fantastic project!

Randy

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad you like it.

I worked on this piece for about 10 weeks. The project contains 110 tracks. It's all made with the mouse only. No keyboard used.

For your informations, I used the following libraries.

Garritan (almost all of them):
    - COMB2: clarinets tutti 4 groups, saxos alto tutti 2 groups, saxos tenor tutti 2 groups, saxos baryton tutti 2 groups, euphonium tutti 4 groups
    - JABB3 : drums, electric bass
    - Steinway : piano
    - GPO4 : 2 harps, glockenspiel, xylophone
    - World Instrument : Accordion Italian Musette, not in the original orchestration, I added it and arranged it myself

As requested, non Garritan libraries used:
    - WIVI for all soloists
    - EWQLSO : snare drum, timpani, triangle, suspended cymbal, tambourine
    - 70 DVZ Strings: violoncelli and contrabasses (pizzicato and arco)

Convolution used: QL Spaces.

As COMB2 fits perfectly to this type of music, I simply added a wivi soloist to each group of COMB2 and tried to blend all the libraries together. Garritan sounds are used from the first note to the very last note.

I hope you like the result.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Hi Fred,

I've heard many version of this Cosma composition, but this one beats them all: very original and unusual, fresh and vivacious. It's a real hit! Your rendition is top as well. Although the orchestra is quite huge, you've managed to present every instrument in detail, with a clear space and distance for the different groups.
    The only instrument that I don't like is the accordion (musette). It doesn't fit here. A Russian bayan or German accordion (sound) would have been a lot more fitting. But that's the only one in GPO.
    The rhythm you maintain is a good substitute for the cimbalom. Well done! Splendid orchestration. I'm really fond of it.

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you like it

Concerning the accordion, I have those in World Instruments. Any suggestion is welcome.
    I have tried the bandoneon, but it does not fit.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Hey Fred, When I found out you had posted this, I had to listen. I think you mailed sound for this kind of music. I think it sounds better than the original movie's sound track. This one is also more complex music, with the triplets figures and the fugue in the centre. This is as good as French film music of that period gets.

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you like it

Concerning the accordion, I have those in World Instruments. Any suggestion is welcome.
    I have tried the bandoneon, but it does not fit.

Best,

Fred.
    I usually use the Hohner Accordion Gola by XSample. There, you have a fair choice in accordion types and sounds. Not the very best choice, but very decent and flexible. (see my accordion concerto:

http://www.joswyl.be/accordion-concerto.html

Max

Hi Fred,

Great rendering and very fun and light-hearted piece.

Thanks for posting,
    Dan

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm glad you liked it. This piece has been a hard one and technically very complex.

I'm on another piece now, much harder than this one and written and orchestrated by the same composer, Vladimir Cosma. It's also a french comedy film music, also for concert band. So, I'll use all Garritan libraries for this piece too. The first tries give good results, so far, so good.

I'll post it when it'll be done.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum