• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Help With Library Buy Plan Please

Help With Library Buy Plan Please

Hi All,

I had a Korg i2 with Roland JV1080 sound modules before converting to Gigastudio and Kontakt. Coming from the sound module world, one of the biggest surprises is how difficult it is to acquire base sample libraries that replace the bread and butter instruments on my sound modules. I write all types of music, and use all instruments on a JV1080...guitar,percussion, strings,brass,woodwinds,choir voices,bass, pan flutes,harps,bells,organs ...on and on etc.

I bought AO, Sam Horns, a few nice pianos. So 1K later I have a nice cello, some violins, a French Horn and a Piano.

Is it possible to acquire a few nice libaries to accomplish a replacement, or does everybody still use their old hardware samplers/sound modules for many instruments. Is it even possible to compile a comprehensive list of kontakt or giga libraries that would achieve a replacement of most instruments? I would be grateful to anyone who would attempt such a list. To avoid discussion of what libary is better maybe just list \"a EWQL or VSL like library\" or a \"Sam Horns or Dan Dean\" like library.

Thank you,

Re: Help With Library Buy Plan Please

Hi Joanne,

I would agree with Lee. I think the spectrasonics stuff (especially Atmosphere) is definitely worth looking at. I don\'t know what your budget is but VSL\'s samples AND tools for under a grand sounds like a bargain to me. I think you know how pleased I am with VSL. Then ofcourse, Nick\'s and Gary work it top drawer as well. I think there are some many good options right now that \'buyer\'s remorse\' is not very likely, IMHO.

Good luck to you.

Lee and Rob,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. Viewing the Spectrasonics site, this is exactly what I need to get the basics, and I would have never considered this grouping. In addition to the three (Trilogy, Stylus, Atmosphere) the Heart of Africia, Syn of Voices look interesting. Adding this to VSL, and as Lee said, dusting off the JV1080\'s and I should be able to get stabilized and on my way.

Regarding the Motif, I didn\'t know they were making keyboards with 128 poly. My Korg has 32.

Two questions for you or Rob please. I don\'t have a weighted keyboard, and do lots of piano. I\'m by no means an accomplished piano player, and wonder if sound-wise, a weighted keyboard would make that much difference for a \"so so\" player I play the EW Steinway B alot. I\'m going off on the wieghted keyboard tangent because I\'m wondering if I should focus on buying a weighted keyboard and rely on other plug-ins for the sounds a motif would offer - at least to start.

And one last question Lee, I did a quick search and could not readily come up with a link for Culture. Do you have a link?

Thank you,

Steinberg and Wizoo have a new softsynth called Hypersonic that appears to be aimed at those users looking for those bread and butter type sounds---it might be worth a look. (My JV 1080 has also been gathering dust for the most part since I went \"soft\"...) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks Xanax,

I have a Primary DAW running Cubase SX and Kontakt with 2gb ram, P4 2.66 Processing - 3 drives, one for OS, one of Samples, One for Audio. Daw 2 pretty similar - but is dedicated to Gigastudio. Do you think something like Hypersonic would fit oK on DAW1? In other words \"generally\" people aren\'t needing a dedicated machine for this Steinberg app are they?

Thank you again,

From what I gather, it\'s actually very compact and doesn\'t require a dedicated machine. It also appears to have some very accessible tweaking capabilities (unlike the 1080)! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    You can check it out here:

Hi Joanne, I couldnt resist jumping in to help an old friend! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Weighted keys - if you are not a trained piano player this will probably not make much difference.

Spectrasonics - Get it. Get them all. They rock! Funnily enough, I nearly bought an old JV1080 last year and went with Atmosphere. This thing is HUGE. I still haven\'t heard all of the patches I\'m sure. But the beauty of it is that the patches are arranged into logical grouping so that when you\'re after a certain type of sound you have a starting point. Also, check out the gear list for Atmosphere. The JV1080 was one of about a gazillion instruments used to create this behemoth.

Is it possible to acquire a few nice libaries to accomplish a replacement
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Did you say once that you bought Konakt? Or was it something else? Anyway, I am amazed how often I reach for a kontakt sample, the price was worth it just for the lib. It is an added bonus that I have a dam good sampler to boot. You might also want to consider Kompakt, it is cheaper and some say, has an even better library.

P.S. Here is the Atmosphere patch list

Here is the Kompakt one.

Do you guys think it is necessary to have a jv1080? I have mine now but was thinking about selling it so I can afford EW Gold....??

I agree with Scott---Atmosphere is a must-have!

You might want also to take a peak at this K-v-R thread about Hypersonic:

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28429&sid=8b603c36c8ba73d95d2c8e34 8684a55d

Do you guys think it is necessary to have a jv1080?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No.

Sell it whilst it is still worth something. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum