• Register
  • Help

Topic: An Interview with ERIC PERSING: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

An Interview with ERIC PERSING: Questions from forum members invited

We are pleased to announce our next guest in the series of GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interviews: ERIC PERSING.

It is an honor to have one of Northern Sound\'s most notable contributors as our guest.
    Eric Persing is considered to be one of the top designers of sound libraries in the world and his libraries are among the very best. Eric has pioneered the development of Virtual Instruments and is a legend in the sampling community.

\"It is almost impossible to go a day without hearing the work of Eric Persing. The thousands of original sounds he has created are used constantly by top composers and musicians from all over the world.

Persing is the founder of Spectrasonics, a company specializing in developing World Class sampled sound libraries on CD-ROM since 1994. He has produced over 25 of the industry\'s top selling titles. Eric\'s ground breaking Distorted Reality series of sample libraries are the best selling and most widely used collections in the world. Spectrasonics samples are used on thousands of major film, television, record and multimedia productions.

In addition to being the Creative Director of Spectrasonics, Eric has been a consultant and the Chief Sound Designer for Roland Corporation Japan since 1984, creating the key sounds for many popular Roland synthesizers, samplers, CD-ROMs, expansion boards, etc.

As a studio musician, producer and composer/arranger in Los Angeles, he has also contributed to numerous Grammy award winning albums and Acadamy award winning film scores, working with an eclectic group of artists including Marcus Miller, Sergio Mendes, Luther Vandross, Quincy Jones, Danny Elfman, Herbie Hancock, Riverdance, James Newton-Howard, Eddie Jobson, Michel Columbier, Diana Ross, Arif Mardin, Mezzoforte, Chaka Khan, Bette Midler, Roby Duke, Deniece Williams, The Katinas, Larry Carlton, Sandi Patti, Hans Zimmer, Leonard Cohen, Adam Cohen, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, Richard Souther, Randy Newman and Celine Dion, amongst many others.\"

We are now invitng questions for Eric from forum members. If you have any questions you would like to ask Eric about the sample libraries he has produced, the state of the art, projects he is working on, the future of sampling, about Virtual Instruments, the sampling business, or have any other questions; now is your opportunity to ask him. At the end of the questioning peroid, your questions will be presented to Eric and we will then post his response in interview form.

Please post your questions at the Northern Sounds GOS forum, or post them below, or email them to me at gary@garritan.com. Once we gather your questions, they will be presented to Eric for his response. We will then post his answers in interview form here.

I anticipate this is going to be a very interesting, informative and captivating interview. Thanks Eric for your willingness to do this interview.

And thank you all for your participation,

Let the questions begin!
    Gary Garritan

Re: An Interview with ERIC PERSING: Questions from forum members invited

Holy Crap! I want to steal this guy\'s brain! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, this is awesome - thanks Gary!

I remember the first real synth I ever bought was a Roland D-70 (I know, I know). The demo on it was by Mr Persing. Every Spectrasonics lib I\'ve bought has been a keeper.

I don\'t even know where to begin with the questions. Except maybe \"Can I have Danny Elfman\'s phone number?\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ok and this one: \"Eric, first off, I\'m a huge fan of your work! What\'s your favourite synth to program/use these days?\"

and this one: \"What would be some of your ideal improvements to Gigastudio (within technological reason)?\"

Thanks and my deepest respect,
    Crispin Hands

There is still time to present your questions to Eric Persing. We have had a good response from the NS members and many interesting questions have been presented on the GOS forum and by email.

We will be taking questions for Eric until this weekend and then the question period will be closed.

Please post your questions at the Northern Sounds GOS forum, or post them below, or email them to gary@garritan.com. After this weekend your questions will be presented to Eric and his answers posted soon thereafter.

Thanks again for your participation.

Gary Garritan

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Eric has pioneered the development of Virtual Instruments
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Without taking anything away from Eric\'s achievements, this is simply not true.

This concept has been around for over five years, and many companies released Virtual Instruments before Spectrasonics - who only released their first VI in 2002.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

I would like to hear him talk about musical sound design. There\'s a fine line between noise and musical noise, which the Distorted Reality series really nails. As both a film composer and a sound designer I\'ve worked on both sides of this and watched one side fight with the other. When does the composer contribute \"sound design\" and when is it up to the sound designer? I\'m talking about non-specific creepy haunted house stuff.

Oh, and when is the \"Modern Sonics\" library going to ship? I\'ve been waiting for this one for years... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, -jl

Go Back to forum