• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Need help on choosing sad classical or movie pieces

Share/Bookmark

Need help on choosing sad classical or movie pieces

Hi all, sadly I lost my father this summer and in tribute I went from Canada to Spain on my own one week after he passed, rented a yacht and scattered his ashes in the Mediteranian sea in the city where he grew up \"Alicante\"), although I did this on my own, my whole family was with me in prayer and thought it was a very special and beautiful day in Spain, this was my father\'s wish.
    I made a video of all this which I am now editing and am looking for some apropriate music to mix it with.

I\'ve already got S.Barber Adagio which I love and I think will mix in well for this, this is the kind of music I\'m looking for, I\'m not to savvy on classical music so if any of you can think of some apropriate classical or movie music in the same genre I\'d greatly apreciate.

P.S. I didn\'t tell the story to get some easy sympathy, I wanted to put you in the context of why I want this sort of music, thx all.

Kindly
    Franky
    VIntaudio

Re: Need help on choosing sad classical or movie pieces

Franky, my condolences to you and your family.

I personally find Barbers Adagio for strings quite sad and almost despairing.

Perhaps some more uplifting, sentimental (in a nice way) music would be good?

Please, I dont mean to dictate to you for one moment what music you should use, It\'s just that I also lost a family member very recently and I think in a situation like this, sad music would tip me over the edge!

I\'m certainly not best qualified to suggest suitable pieces either, but I very much know where you are coming from at the moment.

All the best, Scott.

Hi Franky,

What a wonderful tribute to your father!!

I would suggest either the Nocturne in Bb Minor, or Nocturne in Eb Major, by Chopin, both are very touching, yet not too \'sad\'.

Also, Debussy\'s Reverie.

Hope that helps, good luck.

SWL

Hi SWL, thx for the titles.

Scott, thank you for the nice sentiments it\'s very apreciated.

Guys don\'t worry, I want sad, this is a sad story, so I want the tear jerker Movie themes and classical pieces, wrapping a sad event like this with nice peppy music is not apropriate, therefor don\'t try to find me nice uplifting titles, give me the sad ones [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thx all
    Franky
    Vintaudio

Certainly, peppy music wouldnt do, but positive, kind of \"noble\" pieces would be great; Air on a G string for example.

For sadder stuff, what about Albinoni\'s Adagio in Sol Minore? That\'s a tear jerker for sure.

Some of the Gladiator soundtrack is pretty intense too when Maximus is dying, remembering his wife and son...

Thx, the Gladiator stuff is great.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio

Franky:

Sorry to hear of your loss. I would recomend;

The adagio from Gayhne (sad)
    The adagio from Spartucus (less sad)

both by Aram Katchturian

Mozarts Requim

Agnus Dei from Faure\'s Requiem

Whilst not clasical maybe \"the Pearl\" by Harold Budd

Good luck and best whises to your Family

ed

Originally posted by Franky:
    I want the tear jerker Movie themes
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why don\'t you use the saddest movie theme ever written, (and not to mention an undeniable masterpiece): Schlinder\'s List by Mr. John Williams!

Albinoni\'s Adagio certainly works. I find it a bit more tragic than sad, but also has the rhythm of a procession.

There\'s also Mozart\'s Requiem. The La cry mosa movement is probably the most appropriate. This is the least \"heavy\" of the movements to my ear. And it ends in an \"amen\" in case that\'s appropriate for you and your family.

Debussy\'s Clair de Lune works if you want something more sparse.

Beethoven\'s Symphony No.7 in A major-II. Allegretto might work. It has a wonderful slow chord progression that repeats with ever growing intensity. After 3-1/2 minutes or so, the mood changes. I\'d fade it at that point.

After listening to some examples, I\'d recommend staying away from anything too melodramatic. The last thing you would want is for it to come off as a parody. Let the picture pull the music along. If the music pulls, it can seem disingenuous.

A softer choral piece is Mozart\'s Ave Verum Corpus. Very subtle.

And Barber\'s Adagio for Strings certainly works well. Its slow pace and buildup are excellent.

The above are all included on the inexpensive, ten CD set \"Silver Screen Classics\". I got my copy from Amazon. The CD doesn\'t include the recordings actually used in the films. And none of the pieces were written for film. It\'s all (broadly) classical. But it\'s an inexpensive way to get a broad sampling of classical music.

Best of luck with your project, and best wishes to you and your family.

Beethoven\'s string quartet Op. 130, 5th movement. Very emotional, definitely sad.

Saint Saens\' \"The Swan,\" kind of melancholy but not too sad a piece, somewhere in-between. It kind of shifts from melancholy to happy, back and forth.. really nice piece.

Go Back to forum