• Register
  • Help

Topic: Widor Toccata | Garritan CPO

Widor Toccata | Garritan CPO

Hi - here's a new fairly uptempo recording of the Toccata from Widor's 5th Organ Symphony using the excellent Garritan Classic Pipe Organs - mostly the Modern 1 set, but with customised registrations.

Am I right in thinking that it is not possible to automate things like the Aria mute buttons from within Logic Pro?

Re: Widor Toccata | Garritan CPO

Great - Thank you for taking me up on the invitation to post this here, Jonathan. When I heard this tagged on to a thread in General Discussion, I really wanted more members to be able to find it. It's very good work - Thanks for posting it!

Hi Jonathan,This is really an impressive toccata, not only by the very tiring finger technique in the ostinato, but also by the majestic bass line and rhythmic chords. It must be very difficult to perform (in that tempo). Your version with the mighty Garritan organ is outstanding and daring at the same time. We don't hear many piece like this around here.Thank you for sharing it!Max

Thanks for those comments.

I am more of a pianist than an organist, so it's very much produced and edited with quite a bit of help from Logic Pro!
    I had some help from my father, who is a Fellow of the Royal College Of Organists, with the registrations and some of the tempo changes.

Modern trends seem to be to play it fast at around the 138bpm mark, whereas Widor himself wanted it played much slower at around 100 bpm! There's a recording of him playing it in Paris aged 88!

I really like this piece. I haven't heard it in a long time. This was the recessional played at my wedding 43 years ago. Hey, and I still like the music... as well as the marriage...

Thanks for bringing it back to my memory and presenting very well, indeed.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Go Back to forum