• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Jungle Book Suite

Share/Bookmark

The Jungle Book Suite

This is a suite of the music I wrote for a client - scoring the book 'The Jungle Book'.

In total it was over 40 minutes of music, and the suite contains most of the main themes in order through the book.

The suite isn't a separate arranged piece, instead I just merged various tracks together to save time.

Full list as best I can recall is:
    Garritan Instant Orchestrata - various percussion
    Cinematic Strings 2 - Strings
    Symphobia 1 - woodwinds
    CineBrass - brass
    Epic Word - various ethnic flutes
    Albion Spitfire - various percussion and some strings
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: The Jungle Book Suite

Spectacular, Graham! - I've decided that should be your middle name, Graham "Spectacular" Plowman."

Sweeping, at times full of adventure, at turns foreboding, romantic, antic - The whole gamut of moods in Rudyard Kipling's beloved book are vividly captured in your gorgeous renderings.

Over 40 minutes of music! That is a ton load - Is it being used as underscoring and "scene changes" in an audio book? Did this client discover your talents through your website?

Hearing this (volume UP!) sure has made for an invigorating morning - Thank ye, Graham!

Randy

Haha - thanks for the kind words, Randy. I'm going to start tapping you for testimonials any day now!

The music is scored to many scenes throughout the book. It's used to underscore the text and situations along with ambiance and sound effects. Basically what you are reading, you can hear - and is synced to the reading speed (measured by page turns or by a tap on a sentence by the reader to sync to place). Not exactly an audio book in the normal sense as there is no narrator.

It works really well, and is released on iPhone and iPad under 'Booktrack'. I've done quite a few books/short stories for them now and my current project is another one. I got this gig by winning a competition on a music site. They wanted the sites community to score HG Wells The Time Machine. After that they contacted me directly for more.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Apart from sounding really well written and creatively arranged and nicely produced I kept noticing the reverb--which really sounded like a symphony hall to me. How did you do that? Did you record all the instruments dry then add the verb to the overall mix?

Great job

I went to your site and listened to this and other things that you have written. I think that you are an excellent writer and the mix on these is just great. I think that you definitely have the film score genre nailed. Thanks a bunch for the post. Jay.

There is a problem with this piece, at least for me.
    After hearing it I can not submit any of my measly pieces to this forum.
    You use music as a painter would use a brush and the colors.
    If I did not read this book 100 times since I was 7, including several readings as an ancient adult I am, so I enjoyed this music very much.
    Maestro, beautiful

Ted

Well thank you all for the kind words. I'm delighted you enjoyed my suite of The Jungle Book. Thanks again to Randy, and now to dongios, Jay and Ted.

First up, Ted - I mentioned this on your own post, never let anything posted discourage you from posting your own music. I'd certainly hate to feel responsible for that so post more of your music please. I'm delighted you felt this was a good accompaniment to a book you know so well.

My task on this was very specific, to read the text word for word and score the emotion and situations in many of the scenes. Something I enjoyed doing immensely. I even plan to have the full soundtrack up at some point, which will highlight the scenes in the book by title of the track.

By way of example, my personal favourite is the monkey's stealing
    Mowgli and swinging him through the trees. In the suite, this begins at 6:30. You can hear my 'monkey flute' attempts throughout this and at the end near 7:20.

Thanks Jay for the listening on my channel, some of what I post likely won't be new to you - so delighted you took the time and posted again.

On the reverb, I used my normal reverb set up of 4 instances (one for each family of instruments) - I do this is 'place' them in different area's of the stage. When I composed this I had a very good algorithmic reverb called Arts Acoustic. But I now use Altiverb which has settings to place the sections themselves. Using the Arts Acoustic one I simple changed the predelay and tweaked room and density settings to push sections further away.

Cheers all
    Graham

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Geez, what a sound....
    100% Plowman. You are a safe bet, man.

Fab

Hi Graham,

I was totally overwhelmed with the superb sound quality and the richness of your arrangement. Your description is simply outstanding. Your music is so full of contrast and emotions that even without the text it must appeal to everybody. You're a truly great composer with a special talent for visualising with notes!

Thanks so much

Max

Graham,

This is a splendid musical adventure, so well crafted and orchestrated.

I've resisted up till now to get into the Ipad madness and turn into one of those alien Ipod people. But I just have to hear this with the book. It's the only way to get the full impact of your writing and how it relates to the story. So I hold you personally responsible for depleting my bank account!!

Have to ask you a question here. Once I get done with my piano collection, I want to get back into writing for orchestra. However, my samples are really old and need some updating. I still use Garritan string orchestra for my strings which I purchased 12 years ago! You mentioned you use Cinematic Strings 2. Do you really like these as far as programming them and the patches provided? I know they have a lush sound on the legato patches, what about the short articulations? Do you have Albion2 strings? They sound good too.

Anyway, this is an excellent rendering and even more so on the orchestration. You're very talented!

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast