Hate to reveal my ignorance about filters, but here goes:

I\'m playing around with the Plugsound keyboard collection. It has the limitations you might expect from a largish collection of samples compressed into one .dll file: looped samples, few velocity layers. On the other hand, the samples are not astonishingly brief, the looping is good, and the one or two layers are very well done. (A little low level white noise in one or two samples though.) With some editing, I\'ve been able to get some good sounds. (Mainly a matter of extending the Decay of the amp envelope on some zones.)

But I\'m confused by the filters, which can be controlled by an ADSR envelope. My problem may be my understanding of filters, and it may be interface. The manual is very brief. All I want to do is set a low pass filter to open for low velocities and gradually shut off as the velocity increases, but I\'m somehow confused by the interface and its way of attaching the filter to the envelope.

I assume that increasing the Attack will make the filter take effect more slowly, but I get lost after that:

1. Does increasing the Decay make the filter shut off more slowly?

2. What does increasing the Sustain do? (Sustain in an amp envelope, of course, is a measure of how loud the sample plays after the Decay section is passed. Does an increase in Sustain in a filter envelope mean that the filter\'s effect will stay level throughout the sample, or will it only stay level during the Sustain portion of the Amp envelope?)

3. Does increasing the Release portion just make the filter stop filtering more gradually all across the amp envelope, or does the Release portion instead only affect the way the filter behaves on the Release portion of the amp envelope?

If anyone here has played with the filters in a Plugsound collection or can help me in a general way to understand how an ADSR envelope controls filters, I\'d appreciate any assistance. I hate to ask for a walk-through of what\'s probably fairly simple, but that\'s what I need.