• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Elerond's farewell

Share/Bookmark

Elrond's farewell

I saw the movie Hobbit just recently. Kind of a disappointment, since I read Tolkien's Hobbit often at least once a year, and truly enjoy the flavor of his writing, while the movie did not live up to the book IMHO.
    In the story, for you who missed out on reading this great book, Hobbit with the dwarfs, after a few bad experiences are received by Elerond and his people who are half elves and half human. After looking after them, Hobbit and company continue their journey, receiving a singing-musical send-off by the elves. This has grabbed my imagination, and I committed this piece. Except the choir and timpani, all GPO-4.
    An other thing I have to add, just recently I enjoyed the Jungle Book from Plowking, and in my response to him, I wrote that I would not publish my work on this forum, because I felt his work is so superior to what I am doing.
    Well, this piece was ready before I wrote this, so, please forgive me, and try to listen to it, but my promise stands, no more insults on your good taste.

Ted

https://www.box.com/s/qoux1blxxop6b7wu01as

Re: Elerond's farewell

Hi Ted,

First up, don't let any music posted by anyone discourage you from posting your own (least of all me).

In the title, it should actually be 'Elrond' not 'Elerond'.

I too have been inspired by the Hobbit to write music, even released my own little album long time ago, so I commend you on your choice.

Your piece is beautiful. The choral work is very classical in its harmony and progression. The output file is a little low in volume overall, I have to crank it up. I think you could aim for a better final level on the output, or perhaps a small 'normalise' of the wav file after output. Due to the volume it's hard to hear some of the overall structure, but I really enjoyed the progressions from beginning to end. It'd be great to hear more of the crescendo the latter half as a way to increase the dynamics. Again this is hampered by the current volume. Beautiful work!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Oh--! I was all set to hear your Hobbit music, Ted, but the file's been removed. I imagine you're beefing up the volume, as per Graham "Plowking's" suggestion. OK, I'll be patient - I await the new link.

AND, I need to add, that I'm very glad Graham responded to your previous post where you expressed dismay over sharing more music with us because you feel it somehow isn't good enough - That's crazy talk. We all do what we do, and if we're fair to ourselves, never allow comparisons with other people's work. Sure, we can admire and learn from hearing other people's music - but if we stopped producing because we feel too much in the shadow of what's come before, none of us would ever write anything, since we all live in the shadow of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach - et al!

Hope to hear the Hobbit soon.

Randy

Sorry, I am still in Mexico, internet is sometime on sometime off. When I posted, I realized that AGAIN, I left a lot of "no sound" on the end, which you, Randy, objected to before, and hoping that you will hear my piece I was worried I'll get hell from you, when you already explained what to do...
    So, here is the shorter version.
    No, I was not comparing my work with Plowking's Jungle Book. Comparing would be saying this piece is better than the other piece. I love Mahler and love Ludwig also, but I do not "compare" their work, they are both great in an entirely different way. But hearing the Jungle Book, I felt, and still do, that my work is too amateurish to be considered here.
    Oh well, honestly I am not looking for a " Oh no, Ted it is really nice" , and without any bitterness just enjoy the Forum and the music available here.
    Thanks Plowking for the kind words, I truly liked your piece.
    Yes, you have to crank it up a little, my wav to MP3 converter lost some volume on the piece and I don't believe it is worth to put a third address on this piece.

Thanks

Ted

AH, there you are, Ted, and with your Hobbit - Thank you for getting it up again so soon. NOTE - Your first post still has the old link on it. You'll lose potential listeners who may not notice your new message, so it'd be good if you would edit that post and replace the link.

I've just returned from Middle Earth - and feel wonderfully refreshed after the journey, being serenaded with such nice music while I was there.

As you said, the book is more gentle, thoughtful, more rich than the movie. The film is great fun, exciting and all that, but it really doesn't quite capture the spirit of the book as many of us fondly remember it. That kind of movie that needs so many special effects is stuck in a bad trap - The makers know they have to keep raising the bar in spectacle and amazing CGI in order to please the audience. It would be extremely bold, and probably an excercise doomed to failure, if the producers of a modern fantasy film would step back, take a stand to Not indulge their spoiled audiences with non-stop amazing FX - and simply focus on the characters more, like in older films, and have the visual look be much more modest. It would be admirable if they'd do that - but I have no doubt fans would run out of the theater screaming, "SO CHEESY!"-- For now anyway, I think the future of fantasy films is doomed to over-produced mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...I left a lot of "no sound" on the end, which you, Randy, objected to before, and hoping that you will hear my piece I was worried I'll get hell from you, when you already explained what to do...
    So, here is the shorter version...
    --Well, I certainly hope you're kidding about me giving you or anyone hell for a technical error!-- Um - I'll break the news to you as gently as possible - um,--the new file has 38 seconds of silence at the end. The sound is chopped off at 6:22, then there's silence until 7:00, the end of the file. Without giving you Hell--!--let me just pass on again that if you would get the free audio editor, Audacity, it's really easy to import a 2-track master, have a look, cut out dead air if there is any. And while you're in there, Audacity has lots of other tools for mastering a recording.

No, I was not comparing my work with Plowking's Jungle Book. Comparing would be saying this piece is better than the other piece...But...I felt, and still do, that my work is too amateurish to be considered here..."
    Ted, Ted, Ted - You need to listen to yourself. "I'm not comparing - but my stuff is too amateurish in comparison"--that's exactly what you're saying - And it's something you really need to rearrange your head on. I'm really bummed out hearing you be so demeaning of yourself. This Forum is for music to be shared, and I can't recall a single instance where, like at some other Forums, the membership belittled and berated someone for posting their music. These are good people here, many are very interested in hearing what people are doing - They're not out to rip other people to shreds. So don't rip your own stuff to shreds!

Well - This is an inferiority complex problem worthy of some deep therapy sessions - Really - If you mean what you're saying here, I implore you to work through this very destructive mind trap you seem to be in.

As far as listening and admiring Graham's work - Do please remember that he's using thousands of dollars worth of top flight Libraries - While we can get a very good sound using only Garritan Libraries, there are Libraries designed to give the user some cinema-ready sound with less time and effort. Coupled with Graham's superb composing skills, it's a fantastic combo - But you need to use some clear headed perspective when listening to his pieces.

Yes, you have to crank it up a little, my wav to MP3 converter lost some volume on the piece...
    This is very strange, because the normal result when making an MP3 is that the volume is boosted. You can have a master that never peaks into the red, but the MP3 will have red peaks - So, usually we need to make sure our masters are a fraction under full volume, since the MP3 will take it up to 0 DB. That's why I'm saying this is a very odd behavior for your MP3 converter to be lowering the volume - there has to be some wrong settings somewhere, or it's just plain crappy and you need to get a new one - ANY version of the ubiquitous Lame converter will usually do just fine.

I turned my volume way up, and there were still things I could only get a hint of, mostly on the left side, so there are mixing issues -Mixing is very difficult, it's always a challenge.

Ted - I enjoyed your Hobbit very much. Now - you're worrying me. It's distressing to see you feeling so discouraged. I'm really hoping to see you rise to the challenge of continuing to plunge into your music - because that's the only way any of us keep steadily improving - Don't stop the experience of working with something you obviously love so much, your music.

P.S. - Graham's correct, by the way - the name is "Elrond."

Randy

Re: Elrond's farewell

Thanks Randy. Volume corrected, new address installed and I am apologizing, never will I demean myself in the future, I am a great composer and I'll look for professional help to increase my head-size, nose in the air and may change my name to Gustav. Thanks for the title too... Elrond it is....

Again, thanks for listening

Ted

I tried both links, but got a note saying the material had been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I tried both links, but got a note saying the material had been removed.
    Sorry Tom, there was a lot of confusion and repairs with this post, but now, the only address is on my original post on top, and it is working. Please forgive me and please try it again.

Ted

Ted,

I have to queue up with the rest of the troupe ....

I really do not get what you think is wrong with your music.

Things are always "delicate" in internet forums and sometimes one can not show proper attention to everything. Most of the time one loses track of things or, for a million reason, one can not possibly be there to express comments on everything.
    I personally enjoyed all your recent output on the listening room. Winds of spring and The Petit fantasie hongrois were delicious, delicate and touching, and this piece is no exception to the rule.
    As music has no weight measurable in kilos or length measurable in meters.... compare music is not something I feel like doing. There's music that "touches" you and music that doesn't.
    Your music sure touches me, and I wanted to let you know.

Thanks for posting it.

Fabry

Thanks Fabry.
    I always think that making music, painting or any other art-form is done to share the feeling you had at the time you made it. There is no better compliment therefore than what you are saying that the music touched you.
    Especially at this time of my life, I consider your writing as a great gift to me, and I mean it deeply.
    Thanks a lot,

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast