• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will It Ever Be Spring

Share/Bookmark

Will It Ever Be Spring

With the fact that we have had a late starting spring, here is a mellow pop ballad musing on the subject. It is a Garritan tenor Sax and backup group. The drums are session drummer 3.

Instruments:
    Tenor Sax 4 - JaBB
    Fretless Bass 1 - JaBB
    Mellow Electric Guitar - JaBB
    Steinway Jazz Piano - JaBB
    Choir Ohs and Ahs - Finale Garritan Choir
    Session Drummer 3 - Cakewalk

Will It Ever Be Spring

I hope you enjoy this mellow piece of music.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Will It Ever Be Spring

Will it ever be Spring is a good question, Rich, and now it's also a good piece of music! Really nice, and thanks for pointing out the specific JABB Sax you used. I bet I'm not untypical in so often reaching for the 1st version of most any instrument, too often neglecting to even audition the others available. This Sax sounds really nice, benefiting as it does from your expertise in playing it. Thanks, Rich - Now let's watch the skies and await the arrival of that strange bright orb I've heard about in mythology - maybe it really exists! Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Really nice, and thanks for pointing out the specific JABB Sax you used. I bet I'm not untypical in so often reaching for the 1st version of most any instrument, too often neglecting to even audition the others available. Randy
    Thanks for the comments Randy. I actually did audition all four saxes in Jabb. Each one has it's own uniqueness and color, but for this mellow piece, tenor 4 seemed to be ideal (at least to my ears). You should take a piece and once you have it to the render state just plug in each sax and hear how the mood and timbre changes with each sax. It is well worth the little extra time to listen to each JaBB player show his stuff. It is good for all the other multiply listed instruments as well. In GPO and JaBB, each one has its own unique character.

Being a sax player does help for phrasing and (hopefully) the vibrato control.

I especially had fun with the Finale Choir oohs and aahs and mixing the two into phrases as a vocal backup. These singers were tireless in running over the parts again and again until I had the oohs and aahs all in the right places.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...You should take a piece and once you have it to the render state just plug in each sax and hear how the mood and timbre changes with each sax. It is well worth the little extra time to listen to each JaBB player show his stuff. It is good for all the other multiply listed instruments as well. In GPO and JaBB, each one has its own unique character...
    You are so right on, Rich. We have so many instruments to choose from in our Libraries, and each one has its own personality - We should be auditioning instruments when we're getting serious about mixing. I know I've dispensed that bit of wisdom in some Forum posts. On your thread here I was just admitting to be a bit lazy sometimes, and not always doing the auditioning I would benefit from. Thanks for the good reminder!

Randy

aaaaaaahhh Rich this was gooooooooood.
    I have a thing with jazz ballads, and yours is definitely a good representation of this style.
    One can clearly see you know how to handle that sax. By the way, tenor 4 is by far my favorite sax in JABB. It's got a very warm and full timbre. So, I also congratulate you on this particular choice.

Enjoyable piece, very well done.

Fabry

Your ballads are always so relaxing. As already said by others, love that sax. The performance is superb!

Still waiting for spring here. But it's a little less cold after listening to that...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Um, where are the lyrics? There must be lyrics.

Just teasing - I know where they are, but I won't sing them.

Nice job!

BB
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

In response to Bill,

For any one interested in the lyrics, I could post a pdf file of the lyrics and melody on my Box.net account. My brother was great at providing the words for this song. I don't have the voice to sing it but if someone has the courage and/or ability, maybe we could collaborate on a vocal version of this piece.

Randy,
    I know I've dispensed that bit of wisdom in some Forum posts. On your thread here I was just admitting to be a bit lazy sometimes, and not always doing the auditioning I would benefit from.
    It is always good to reinforce that little tidbit of mixing. Check all your available instruments and choose the one that fits the character and mood of the melody. For Instance, on my piece, tenor 1 sounded way to strident and in your face for this kind of melody.

Fabry,
    I have a thing with jazz ballads, and yours is definitely a good representation of this style.
    One can clearly see you know how to handle that sax. By the way, tenor 4 is by far my favorite sax in JABB. It's got a very warm and full timbre.
    What a nice compliment, thank you. I have played sax for well over 50 years so one would think I know how to handle it. But there are days.....

Plowking,

At the end of a day it is nice to sit back and just relax and listen to a good ballad. It unwinds me so much. When I get that from my own work it is a great pleasure. When I get the comment from others that they find my piece relaxing, it makes me feel happy. I am so glad that you find my ballads relaxing.

Rich

I am listening to this on one of our first real nice spring days. A little later I may even open a window. This piece takes me back to the days I used to play this sort of music as a guitarist. It also reminds of when I purchased the original TASCAM Porta Studio (I believe it was TEAC then). I had a friend who was a sax player and I would write things like this and record it to the 4 Track Cassette. I didn't even know what a computer was. (This was back in 1980). I never dreamed what would be available today.

Hey Rich! This is a nice POP song. I think your melody on this is quite nice. It takes a little more work, but I think you could spruce up the rhythm section by adding occasional hits over your drum pattern. Its just a thought. I liked your post here. Thanks, Jay.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast