• Register
  • Help

Topic: Euphonium Flutter Tongue

Share/Bookmark

Euphonium Flutter Tongue

I have an flutter tongue swell articulation in my French Horn library, but none like it in my Euphonium library. Assuming that a real Euphonium player would be able to do this on his instrument, I am using it in the Euphonium part for the demo recording of this piece. However, I just wanted to make sure that this was actually possible with a real Euphonium. Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Euphonium Flutter Tongue

Yep, go for it.
    ~Rod

Thanks again.

Allegro Data Solutions

It is difficult in the very high and very low range. Otherwise it is OK.

Norman

The place where I want to put it is near the middle of the staff (the Bb below middle C, or the D above it). I hope that isn't too high.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    The place where I want to put it is near the middle of the staff (the Bb below middle C, or the D above it). I hope that isn't too high.
    Those notes will work very well.

Norman

Thanks for all your help. I am assuming that I am okay using the French Horn library "rips" articulation, as well (i.e. that this effect can be gotten on the Euphonium). The note I want is the G below Middle C. I'm guessing the patch starts on that note and rips up from there. In any case, it sounds right for the piece and I don't have an equivalent in my Euphonium library.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I am assuming that I am okay using the French Horn library "rips" articulation, as well (i.e. that this effect can be gotten on the Euphonium). The note I want is the G below Middle C. I'm guessing the patch starts on that note and rips up from there. In any case, it sounds right for the piece and I don't have an equivalent in my Euphonium library.
    Sorry I did not see this post sooner. All valved brass instruments can play a "rip", glissando, etc. that is similar to the horn. They usually play it by pushing the valves down part way and tightening the embouchure to cause the sound to move from note to note in the overtone series of the valves that are depressed. The G you mentioned is normally played with the first and second valves depressed and it is part of the G overtone series that starts two octaves lower. If you depress the first and second valves about 2?3 of the way down you will rip through these notes with some smoother bliss between them. The G you start on, B, D, F, G, A, B, (Flat C#) D, etc. An 8va rip is the most common but you can make it bigger. Only accomplished players should be expected to play higher than the B flat above middle C. Show the top note if you can. Only the lowest and highest notes of the rip stand out. So don't be overly concerned if the G7 chord that the rip is based on does not fit your intended harmony.

By the way I have used this effect with with the Tuba and it sounds every bit as good as it does in the horn. If you are using Finale, Human Playback will try to simulate a rip on any valved brass instrument if you insert the jagged line glissando between the lowest and highest notes of the rip using the smart shape tool.

Norman

Thanks for your detailed response. As always, a wealth of information about these instruments, which helps me a lot when I think about how to use them in my orchestrations.

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum