• Register
  • Help

Topic: Regal March

Share/Bookmark

Regal March

I wasn't planning on writing another march but this one snuck into my repertoire.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Regal%20March.mp3

It's not quite finished but I never post a completed work-in-progress...
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Regal March

Well, I felt like getting in line and marching along with the band. It definitely fits the marching style of music. Thanks for posting this. Jay

Throwing hat into the air! Wheeee, it's a fun march, Mitch. Good going!

Since it's a work-in-progress, allow me to throw my vote in for more volume on the low brass. The lead woods sound great, now if they could have a more aggressive oom pah behind them!

Great to see you posting music again, Mitch.

Randy

Delightful! Way to go, Mister Mitch! I like it!

One of my very favorite forms of music is the good ol' march. The distinct sound takes me back to my high school and college days.

You say that this is a work-in-progress but it sounds pretty complete to me. Don't overdo it. Simplicity is best.

Thanks for posting your fine work.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Throwing hat into the air! Wheeee, it's a fun march, Mitch. Good going!

Since it's a work-in-progress, allow me to throw my vote in for more volume on the low brass. The lead woods sound great, now if they could have a more aggressive oom pah behind them!

Great to see you posting music again, Mitch.

Randy
    I suppose I could throw in a few more sousaphones... I'll see what I can do..I feel the same way.. ;-)
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    I suppose I could throw in a few more sousaphones... I'll see what I can do..I feel the same way.. ;-)
    Hello again, Mitch - Could you remind me again of what kind of software you're using? But getting a better balance is possible in either kind of program of course, notation or DAW software. It's not a matter of needing to add more instruments, but bringing up the volume of the low brass you already have in there. Right now the woods are just up higher than the brass. I would mute everything first, solo the brass, get it nice and big, then bring the other things in until there's a good mix, with the oom pah still being nice and present.

Randy

Randy, I was just kidding about adding Sousaphones...I use Finale 2011/2012. I just have to set the lower brass to a higher CC1 level other than p or mp to improve the sound. And yes, I do experiment with the sound levels a lot for all the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Randy, I was just kidding about adding Sousaphones...I use Finale 2011/2012. I just have to set the lower brass to a higher CC1 level other than p or mp to improve the sound. And yes, I do experiment with the sound levels a lot for all the instruments.
    Ah! Sousaphone Humor - AR AR AR!

Maybe you mean you're doing this, Mitch, but I still want to point out that you need to work with the mixer in Finale. You can't do it all with MIDI CCs. The sliders for your brass need to come up, the woods probably down a bit in compensation. That will set the relative potential volume, then the dynamic control with CCs via dynamic markings will work as they already are.

Randy

Hi Mitch

What a fun march. Marchissimo I would say.

It's not only the brass covered with woods, but the percussion is somewhere lost in the background too. Perhaps you use a tiny space, a narrow panning and a wrong balance. You should experiment more with the sliders according to the dynamics in your score. Give all the sections and solos a proper (horizontal) panning place and if possible a realistic depth (vertical panning).

I wish you good luck with the elaboration of the overall orchestral sound!

Max

Go Back to forum