• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hey - does this sound right?

Hey - does this sound right?

I think I\'ve found a cool way to do harp glisses without using canned arpeggios or laborious note-by-note editing, but I\'d appreciate any suggestions. It\'s about :13 into this excerpt I started tonight:

If anyone likes it, I\'m happy to share the method. And yes, I know the piece itself is fraught with cliches, but I\'m an amateur and need only to please myself. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Hey - does this sound right?

I like it. It sounds very nice, but it sounds more like an arpeggio than a gliss.

Hey, sounds nice, please do share.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is it done by just doing a \"sweep\" accross the keyboard and then telling the sequencer to put the notes in right key/scale?

The sweep across the keyboard is pretty close!

I\'ve been toying around with a Kurzweil Expressionmate ribbon controller. One of its presets allows you to hit a chord (even before starting the recording), then sweep across the ribbon. It will trigger all the notes in the chord across several octaves. Draw in velocity over that sweep, and you can contour the gliss/arpeggio as you like.

The harp sound is just the sustain from the Prosonus. And Karimelm, what is the distinction between gliss. and arp. for harp? This clip is a single line up & down, and I\'d also call it an arp. on piano. I did try two layers of up & down following each other, but ran out of notes. Would that be more of a \"gliss\"?

Cool.....I wonder if my AN1X can do that with its ribbin....probably not...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Nice trick.

The real defining attribute of a harp gliss is the doubling of notes. This is due to the physical structure and tuning of the harp. If you\'re tuning the instrument for a chord, rather than a scale, then different strings side by side will produce the same \"note\" resulting in a doubling of some notes within the gliss (depending on the key and chord).

In practice, within a very quick-sweep sort of gliss, this would be difficult to discern. In a more exposed kind of part,or a slower gliss, an astute listener might pick this up.

The difference in an arpeggio and a gliss would be picking/plucking particular strings in the former, and \"glissing\" across all strings in the latter. Disclaimer: I have no expertise in actual harp performance, but I think that\'s correct from what I\'ve studied.

One of the cool features of the Garritan GigaHarp is a special gliss instrument which sets up the correct doubles by emulating the effect of the pedals. Once you\'ve set up your tuning, you just gliss across the white keys. Quite clever.

Go Back to forum