• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it me or the sample....

Share/Bookmark

Is it me or the sample....

Okay, I\'ve been trying to work with the Giga Piano sample that came with Gigastudio. I think the piano sounds okay, it\'s not aweful but it\'s not stellar either. But what really bothers me is I have this poblem of certain notes sounding louder then the others. If I really dig in and play like it was a real piano, I\'ll be playing along and little things that sound fine on a real piano jump out like I can\'t play evenly on the giga piano sample. I\'m curious if it\'s me or if it\'s the sample. Does anyone else have this problem? I\'m using a Roland A-90 as the controller.

Maybe there\'s a RAR file to fix the problem? Or I would buy some of the new Grand samples if I know everything will work well. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Is it me or the sample....

Well, Gigapiano probably isn\'t the most popular instrument on this forum. On the other hand, if the major problem you have is sudden shifts in volume, you may just want to take notes about which samples sound too loud for you, and then reduce their amplitude in the editor:

Once in the editor, in the Velocity window, you can see which sample (at what velocity layer) is being played as you hit each note. It may be only a few samples that are causing you this problem. You can then reduce the volume of each on the Mix\\Layer tab by increasng the Attenuation.

Remember to select all the samples at all the velocity layers you need in the Velocty window (Ctrl-click), and that you may want to select all the pedal down samples, too, and that an increase in Attenuation means a decrease in volume. After reducing the volume of these samples, you\'ll probably notice the sound of the Release samples, too, and want to reduce their volume as well.

Bardstown Bosendorfer is my first choice and it works and sounds great for me.

Whoa! Whoa! Before you get all crazy with editing the samples, have you tried changing the sensitivity settings on your controller/keyboard? I would give that a shot first. My controller is really sensitive, and the moment you put a little pressure, it gets really loud. I have to knock it way down most of the time.

If only all the samples at the high velocities are too loud, or all the samples ae too loud, then by all means change the keyboard sensitivity and\\or raise the Attenuation in Giga (not in the editor).

Gigapiano stinks, period. The samples are inconsistent from top to bottom. There are only 3 layers, which transitionn horribly. Only 30 some notes are sampled. Get a real, quality library! Don\'t rip your hair out & don\'t get discouraged. Try the Studio Grand 88 by Bigga Giggas. It has a bright sound & 8 seamless layers. It\'s a joy to play! Best of all, it\'s $82 at House of samples. You won\'t be sorry!

run a search on this forum for \"piano\". You\'ll find many reviews & some great advice

I agree with PianoJoe, the Studio Grand 88 is an amazing sounding, even playing library. It is deffinately on the bright side, but it is easier to make something sound darker, than to make something dark sound brighter. That being said I think it is shaping up to be a very flexible library ........... my favorite piano for Gigastudio so far!

Actually. if you abandon GigaPiano entirely, you may find yourself buying several different pianos designed for Giga. Each has its own sound (different pianos, different mics, different mic postions and distances, etc.)

Try doing a search for \"piano\" in this forum. You\'ll find discussions of many pianos. I would like to have them all.

Originally posted by funkiphized:
    I agree with PianoJoe, the Studio Grand 88 is an amazing sounding, even playing library. It is deffinately on the bright side, but it is easier to make something sound darker, than to make something dark sound brighter. That being said I think it is shaping up to be a very flexible library ........... my favorite piano for Gigastudio so far!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks! Glad you like the SG88!
    You probably already have noticed, but on all patches there are a lowpass filter that are controlled with the modwheel, if you turn that up, you\'ll get a darker, more mellow sound.

Go Back to forum