• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dummy Question about installing the Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Dummy Question about installing the Steinway

My studio has been packed down for a long, long time, whilst I had building done, and I'm in the position that I'm about to try and put the whole thing back together. I'm planning to rebuild my PCs from scratch, and I'm conscious that things have changed somewhat with ARIA.

Last time I installed the instruments I own, they were romplers, each installing their own ARIA player; and I believe it now works more like other samplers, where I install a single player, and each library is simply 'content.' I've duly been and downloaded ARIA player 1.62, and also the newer installers for World and GPO.

When it comes to the Steinway, though, there is no new version. There is a patch, but the main installer is still the one one my DVDs from so many years ago; which, as I understand it, are going to attempt to install the Steinway as a self-contained instrument. My question is firstly, is there a way to avoid this, and simply install the Steinway content, to be used in ARIA 1.62; secondly, if this can't be done, does allowing the Steinway to install as a self-contained instrument interfere with the ARIA engine and replace anything with older file versions?

Sorry, this is probably something that's been addressed many times...
    David

Re: Dummy Question about installing the Steinway

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    ...if this can't be done, does allowing the Steinway to install as a self-contained instrument interfere with the ARIA engine and replace anything with older file versions?...
    Actually, this hasn't come up often on the Forum, Pingu, if ever. You can install the Steinway just as it wants, and it won't interfere with ARIA. What will happen is you'll have the original Steinway interface, which is elegant, and had that animated piano showing you the different perspectives -The instrument will play in that, and also in the current ARIA. You'll have a choice of what ARIA Player to load it in.

The ARIA Engine is separate, and will be totally unaffected. The two different ARIA Players you'll have, the generic one, and the Steinway specific one, are just the interfaces, relying on the one ARIA Engine - and that can't be rolled back by any installation of an older Library.

Randy

Thanks Randy. you've put my mind at rest, and I'll install away. You really deserve a medal for the way you facilitate this forum.
    David

As usual Randy is spot on.

I tend to load the original stand alone program when playing the instrument from a keyboard (quick and easy direct load up), where I use the Steinway as a practise aid for my piano lessons.
    I use the Aria interface within the DAW software (flexibility).
    When I load in Aria some of the controls for the reverb are partially obscured on the extreme right of the GUI,
    But no matter, because the Aria player now has the convolution reverb which is not accessible in the original Steinway, and sounds so good.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum