• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String articulations do not respond to cc1 data

Share/Bookmark

String articulations do not respond to cc1 data

Am I correct in concluding that some of the articulations in the GPO4 strings do not respond to CC1 messages. I am finding this with auto alternate, and up and down bows, for example. The only way to control the dynamics is with the velocity.

Also, this is for other Sonar users. I edit velocities often by hand drawing in the data in the controller lanes. I am finding that periodically the velocities will stop responding to the pencil tool and I will have to restart the application for it to begin responding again. Has anyone else run into this. Thanks.

Re: String articulations do not respond to cc1 data

CC1 only works with sustained sounds such as sustained strings, brass and woodwinds. Percussive type sounds such as short bows, pizzicato and percussion only work with velocity. So you system is working properly.

Jim

Thank you.

Hi, Richard - Jim has already expertly handled your question about how percussive sounds, including short bows, have their volume controlled by velocity.

But the second half of your post has me puzzled:

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    ...Also, this is for other Sonar users. I edit velocities often by hand drawing in the data in the controller lanes. I am finding that periodically the velocities will stop responding to the pencil tool and I will have to restart the application for it to begin responding again. Has anyone else run into this. Thanks.
    I've used Sonar for years, and no, I haven't run into that. But I'm not clear on what you mean. "The velocities will stop responding..." - do you mean the instruments loaded stop responding, or that you suddenly are unable to edit the velocity values?

More detail on exactly what you mean will help me pinpoint what's going on there.

Randy

Thanks for your interest Randy. I mean the latter. It is an intermittent situation but for some reason on occasion when I try to draw the velocity in with the draw tool in Sonar X1 it will not respond and I have to close the project and reopen it. I posted this to the Cakewalk forum some time ago but did not receive any response and thought I would try it here. It may be something elementary that I am just overlooking and right now it is more of a nuisance than an impediment. And just so you are not confused by our earlier discussion, I have yet again changed my work methods-imagine that. I am back to writing the notes in Staff view and then going to PRV for the midi work. So I have to edit the velocities by hand, which is not as difficult as drawing in and editing the CC1 data. I will say this-with all it's shortcomings as a notation program, I have yet to find any notation software that makes entering the notes rhythmically as easy as it is done in Sonar. I do not have to worry about assigning different voices. I can take any note value, position it anyplace in the measure(subject to whatever grid settings may be active)-regardless of whether there are other notes already occupying that beat-and click.

Hello Richard:

Re: entering notes in Sonar X1, Have you tried Step Record?
    If you click on the small arrow on the Record button, the drop-down list contains Step record. If you click on this, the resulting window is self-explanatory. I find this sometime very handy, because note values are one click on the num pad also when a lot of entries in the same pattern, you can set up the pattern easily.
    Thanks for your advise on the piano-roll usage. I tried it, but on my X!, I can see only one tab on the bottom, the current open track, even if I lock the previous track. So, you must do something right and me doing it wrong. Maybe, that because I run two monitors?
    Thanks

Ted

Thank you Ted. Yes I have used step record and found it very useful. But right now notation view combined with PRV is the method that works best for me. Though that is always subject to change.

I am not sure why the X1 multidock is not working for you. I open a track in PRV, lock it and then open another PRV and assign it to the next track and then lock it and so on, one new track at a time. At the end I can only see one track at a time but changing tracks is just a matter of clicking on another tab. I have never used two monitors so I do not know what complications that might cause.

...on occasion when I try to draw the velocity in with the draw tool in Sonar X1 it will not respond and I have to close the project and reopen it. I posted this to the Cakewalk forum some time ago but did not receive any response and thought I would try it here.
    Hmm, as I said earlier, I've never run across this before - And you probably didn't get responses at Cakewalk because the users there haven't heard of it either. I don't know what it could be, but there has to be user error involved there somewhere.
    ...I am back to writing the notes in Staff view...I have yet to find any notation software that makes entering the notes rhythmically as easy as it is done in Sonar. I do not have to worry about assigning different voices. I can take any note value, position it anyplace in the measure(subject to whatever grid settings may be active)-regardless of whether there are other notes already occupying that beat-and click.
    And if you turn the grid off, you're not stuck to having notes be quantized to being perfectly on the beat also. Otherwise, a major drawback to working in the Staff View instead of the PRV is that robotic perfection caused by the grid.

But I remember distinctly the first time I tried to use a notation program, and there was all this about Voices being different layers, different colors - and I was wondering why I couldn't move notes "sideways"-- It really is so different, how locked in notation programs are compared to the staff views of DAW software which are primarily there just so the user can see what the note relationships are of what he's recorded.-- Of course it makes sense, the way notation programs are designed, since they have a very different basic purpose than DAW software.

Thank you Ted. Yes I have used step record and found it very useful. But right now notation view combined with PRV is the method that works best for me. Though that is always subject to change.
    I still don't understand why the step record function has any appeal. In PRV, you have all the notes possible laid out in the grid, you can plop notes anywhere - Having yet one more mechanism between input and the notes is something I don't get!
    ...I am not sure why the X1 multidock is not working for you. I open a track in PRV, lock it and then open another PRV and assign it to the next track and then lock it and so on, one new track at a time. At the end I can only see one track at a time but changing tracks is just a matter of clicking on another tab. I have never used two monitors so I do not know what complications that might cause.
    Two monitors is a great convenience, but doesn't interfere with program functions like this, so that's not it. There has to be something wrong in the way you're doing this, Ted.

And seeing your new post, Richard, makes me remember that I still have yet to try this in X1. Having more than one PRV is a totally new concept for me--It'll be fun to try it out. But I've never found working in one PRV to be an inconvenience - to me it's so easy to work with whatever track I want, lock notes I don't want to edit etc.

Randy

Re PRV:
    This is just simply me, not paying attention. Richard you clearly said: ...then I open and other PRV.. and so on.
    Silly Ted ignored it, and had to try this simple but great work-flow help, the 25c finally dropped, you open an other PRV after locking the previous one. Now I have all my strings in one view of PRV, easy...
    Thanks.
    I am not using step record. Only some time, I switch to it if I have to do a lot of entering in the same pattern. Then it saves time....
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Re PRV:
    This is just simply me, not paying attention. Richard you clearly said: ...then I open and other PRV.. and so on.
    Silly Ted ignored it, and had to try this simple but great work-flow help, the 25c finally dropped, you open an other PRV after locking the previous one. Now I have all my strings in one view of PRV, easy...
    Thanks.
    I am not using step record. Only some time, I switch to it if I have to do a lot of entering in the same pattern. Then it saves time....
    Ted
    And your post, Ted, inspires me to report an update on my own Sonar usage: I can't believe it, but this works in version 8.5 that I'm still using! I tried it the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Lock the PRV, open another track in its own PRV - I never knew that could be done. Good one, Richard! --- (pretty sure I'll still use the one PRV that I can zoom around in, but this is still cool).

Randy

Go Back to forum