• Register
  • Help

Topic: Short Film Score Demo

Share/Bookmark

Short Film Score Demo

https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1/film

I know I haven't been very active here. I usually stop by regularly to listen to the new stuff as it's posted, but I rarely have time to leave comments. I'm going to try hard to change that and make time as I know how great feedback can be. For now, there are some really awesome things going on here. I've heard some great music on this forum. You're all truly inspiring.
    Here's a short little film score like piece. Written and rendered in Finale with Garritan Instruments for Finale.
    My Music - https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Skippy

Re: Short Film Score Demo

I really like the minimal simplicity of it. It's a little too 'distant' in the mixing, least at the very start. But excellent understated piece.

I let all your pieces play on Soundcloud. Excellent work.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Just keep writing your music, it is great,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by davidrhepworth View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/davidrhepworth-1/film

I know I haven't been very active here. I usually stop by regularly to listen to the new stuff as it's posted, but I rarely have time to leave comments. I'm going to try hard to change that and make time as I know how great feedback can be. For now, there are some really awesome things going on here. I've heard some great music on this forum. You're all truly inspiring.
    Here's a short little film score like piece. Written and rendered in Finale with Garritan Instruments for Finale.
    Excellent to see you here again, David

That's a gently evocative piece, I enjoyed it, and can certainly hear it as an understated film underscore. Absolutely.

Part of the "distance" Graham "Plowking" refers to is the low volume. If those two segments with the highest volume would go up to the maximum, 0db, then the whole piece's overall volume would be in proportion to what our home systems are calibrated at. An audio editor like the free Audacity would help you easily adjust that since you get a visualization of exactly how much your signal is filling up the available range.

Really nice piece - Glad you posted it.

Randy

Thank you for your kind words!
    I agree that it is a bit too distant and soft.
    Randy, since I'm not familiar with audacity I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Are you suggesting I just amplify the whole file so the peak is at 0db? That seems to fix the problem I think.

Quote Originally Posted by davidrhepworth View Post
    ...Are you suggesting I just amplify the whole file so the peak is at 0db? That seems to fix the problem I think.
    Hi, David - Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The final step in Mastering a recording is bringing its volume up so the full available range is used.

Below is a screenshot I did for a Forum member awhile back. This was taken in Sound Forge, an audio editor of the same type as Audacity. The top image is of a music file as posted, and the arrow shows that the loudest peak is minus 7.6 DBs. This track was far too quiet, and that's easily seen once the audio is opened up in an editor like Audacity.

The bottom image is the same recording after using a simple Normalize plugin to bring that peak level to minus 0.1.

The advice you'll find most often is to bring your recordings up to somewhere below 0, minus 0.3 is the average level recommended, to avoid distortion. Note that this should be done with the master .wav file of a recording, before an MP3 copy is made.

There's a peculiarity about MP3 compression that brings the volume up higher than the original master file. Mastering the .wav file to this lower level helps ensure that you don't go into the red in your compressed MP3 copy.

To be safe, you should check your MP3 copy also with the filter in Audacity that looksfor any peaks over 0. If you find any, there's a pencil tool to lower the volume of those moments with extreme precision.

Randy

Very nice piece. It sets a mood for sure and it is ripe for further development. Very nice to listen to. Thanks for sharing it.

I do not want to usurp the thread and perhaps I should start a new one but Randy I was wondering if that work you are showing as having been done in Audacity or Soundforge can be done in Sonar?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    ...I do not want to usurp the thread and perhaps I should start a new one but Randy I was wondering if that work you are showing as having been done in Audacity or Soundforge can be done in Sonar?
    Hi, Richard - I just replied to you on your "Short Composition" thread - Notice how we had a bunch of posts all with "Short" in the title put up on the same day? It's like suddenly everyone wants to make sure potential listeners won't feel they'll have to give up much time to listen. Interesting.

Yes, that very basic volume work on a master mix can be done in Sonar. The reasons to use a sound editor like Forge or Audacity go beyond this basic function. I use Forge a lot for doing microscopic detail work on volume that can't be done in Sonar.

The only problem with doing what I've described in Sonar is that it means you need to bounce your project into a new track right there in your project, or re-import it in a new project. That's OK as long as you don't make the mistake of having that 2-track master processed again with whatever you used in the original project - and that trips people up a lot. They'll accidentally add a double dose of EQ, reverb, compression - You can see how that would happen if you didn't anticipate the problem.

The thing about audio editors is they provide Destructive Editing, as opposed to the non-destructive editing in DAW software like Sonar. As we work on a project in Sonar, we'll use envelopes on audio, we'll add EQ, reverb etc - but it's not changing the actual raw audio. What we're doing is using the program's tools to provide a set of complicated instructions - "Take this audio and do such and such with it when it's playing and when we do our mix." Those things we do aren't permanent.

In an audio editor, we Want our editing to be permanent. We'll increased the volume, change the EQ, use a noise filter, cut out silence - any number of things - and those are corrections we want to have permanent in our mix, so it's called "destructive editing."

If you want to do some basic mastering in Sonar, you can choose Process - Audio - Normalize- You can use that tool to do the normalization if you have your 2-track master in Sonar. In the pop-up just turn the Normalization level down one step so it's not 100% - that will make the MP3 copies too hot.

You can also remove DC Offset in Sonar, which is something that it's good to do on a routine basis.

And, some people use a lot more plug-ins in Sonar so they can do all their mastering there. Nothing wrong with that, but there are still more tools available in an audio editor, and the ability to see your waveform in more detail - and you're not making a copy of your original, as I said, in Audacity and such programs, you're permanently fixing your mix.

But yes - if your mix is there in Sonar, there's a Normalize tool to do this simple thing of getting your mix's level up.

and, yeah - A new thread would be better, and not here in the LR but in General Discussion. If you want more discussion on this, go ahead and do that, Richard.

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy! I greatly admire your wealth of knowledge. I took your advice and boosted the volume. The link at the top is updated. Hopefully the recording is more accessible now with nobody having to strain their ears to hear it.
    Richard, thanks for listening and I'm glad you liked it!

Go Back to forum