• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Throw out that KVM Switch Box....

Share/Bookmark

OT: Throw out that KVM Switch Box....

Hi all, just thought I would share this with you, a solution for viewing all of your computers on a network instead of using a KVM Switchbox. It comes at a good price too - free!

If you have heard of PC Anywhere or Remote Desktop you will know about being able to view the display of another computer right from your own machine.

This is a freeware version called VNC (Virtual Network Computing) one of its great features is that it can be used on almost any platform. So in other words you can view your PC\'s desktop running Giga, right from your Macintosh.

Pros - It\'s free and doesn\'t require additional hardware. (If you\'re on a network.) It runs cross-platform.

Cons - You will need to have your computers on a network. You will also need a little bit of networking knowledge to set this program up.

The program can be found here

If anyone needs help setting it up let me know. Please be patient with replies as I\'m in Australia and likely to be sleeping when you read this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, just wanted to help you guys out if I could since you have all been giving me great advice in these forums. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scott.

Re: OT: Throw out that KVM Switch Box....

If you\'re running Windows XP (or a Win2k Server flavor), Terminal Services is a much better option. Even specialized VNC compressors like TightVNC are an order of magnitude slower & less accurate.

As far as KVMs go, so long as you get a good fully-active one with keyboard shortcuts, there\'s no reason you can\'t have your cake and eat it too.

arrgh.

I jsut put in an order for a new KVM like 15 minutes ago!

Tho its fully active with hotkeys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

so I\'ll prolly keep it, maybe if I need in the future, I\'ll set it up to be \"

KVM1=strings on multiple machines,

KVM2-brass

etc.

wonder if that might be easier...

I jsut put in an order for a new KVM like 15 minutes ago!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry bout that! Geesh, and here I was trying to help.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott.

Keep something in mind, if you use Terminal Services (aka Remote Desktop) to access a remote PC, you can NOT work with GigaStudio or sequencing apps on that PC. My ideal setup is to have two PCs, a general-use/gaming PC and a music PC. In this case I\'d need a KVM, because I obviously couldn\'t remote into the game PC to play games, and I couldn\'t remote into the music PC because the necessary audio and/or MIDI drivers would not be loaded properly.

Keep something in mind, if you use Terminal Services (aka Remote Desktop) to access a remote PC, you can NOT work with GigaStudio or sequencing apps on that PC. My ideal setup is to have two PCs, a general-use/gaming PC and a music PC. In this case I\'d need a KVM, because I obviously couldn\'t remote into the game PC to play games, and I couldn\'t remote into the music PC because the necessary audio and/or MIDI drivers would not be loaded properly.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Sam, I\'m not sure I understand you. The second machine would be switched on, all drivers and apps loaded, midi connected, etc.

This is simply a way to take control of the machine over the network. Certainly, I wouldnt want to run a sequencer or something labour intensive in this fashion, but if it was something simple like changing a midi channel it would be ideal. Having said that though, and now that I think about it, running over a local network at 100mbps wouldnt be too bad at all. Certainly faster than the internet.

Regards, Scott.

Scott

Changing midi channels should be OK. I tried to run Sonar once remotely, and it had trouble, something about the audio inputs.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hi all, just thought I would share this with you, a solution for viewing all of your computers on a network instead of using a KVM Switchbox. It comes at a good price too - free!

If you have heard of PC Anywhere or Remote Desktop you will know about being able to view the display of another computer right from your own machine.

This is a freeware version called VNC (Virtual Network Computing) one of its great features is that it can be used on almost any platform. So in other words you can view your PC\'s desktop running Giga, right from your Macintosh.

Pros - It\'s free and doesn\'t require additional hardware. (If you\'re on a network.) It runs cross-platform.

Cons - You will need to have your computers on a network. You will also need a little bit of networking knowledge to set this program up.

The program can be found here

If anyone needs help setting it up let me know. Please be patient with replies as I\'m in Australia and likely to be sleeping when you read this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, just wanted to help you guys out if I could since you have all been giving me great advice in these forums. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scott.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why would you want to do that in software when there is hardware that will do the job cheaply, reliably, and with no performance hit to the computer?

Why would you want to do that in software when there is hardware that will do the job cheaply, reliably, and with no performance hit to the computer?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi, I dont know about the States, but here in Australia the hardware alternatives are NOT real cheap. The software besides being free, also lets you link up between almost any O.S. you can think of, mac to pc, pc to linux and so on.

The other advantage being, if your machines are not already on a network this is a good reason to do so. It should make life easier in transferring and finding files.

I agree with you in that there will be a performance overhead but with a half decent computer and some good network cards I think that would be negligible.

As I haven\'t yet gone out and bought a KVM switchbox to me it is an attractive option. I must admit that I had never thought of it but a friend of mine in I.T. made the suggestion and I thought it was a good one.

Sharing my computers in this way and running midioverlan+ (a product I sought advice about in these very forums) is going to enable me to link up my workstations for under $75 U.S. This is very cheap compared to the alternatives.

I merely wanted to share the idea in this forum so that it may help someone out or at least give them an alternative.

Regards, Scott.

Thanks for the tip Scott Cairns [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just tried it and it seems to work fine.

Go Back to forum