• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: microtuning

Share/Bookmark

microtuning

For those who like to play music in non-standard tuning or those who want to experiment a little with microtuning to see if it can make their music more interesting: check this in our PMI Bos290 Plug_in:

This windows shows the Microtuning section of the Kompakt engine that is used for the PMI Bos290 Plug-In. You get the choice over 20 different mocrotuning presets. Mean tone, basic just, equal tempered, pure C, Kirnberger C, Werckmeister C, several Wendy Carlos settings are all there.
    I\'m making a CD of early piano music where these tunings make a big difference in the experience of the real thing.
    Hope we can add some tuning presets to the preset list in the future.
    By the way, the mcrotuning can be applied to the master instrument (all groups) and can be selected for individual groups. This is a nice feature that can be used with great effect. I can now program several different tunings for different groups and get very interesting results.

Re: microtuning

No quatertones? No 1/3 tones? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Once you have the PMI Bos290 in the Kontakt 1.5 editor you can do whatever you want with the tuning: 1/5,1/4, 1/3, any value you want... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Once you have the PMI Bos290 in the Kontakt 1.5 editor you can do whatever you want with the tuning: 1/5,1/4, 1/3, any value you want... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great news - I love those strange sounds!

Cool feature! So now I could play my music in same tuning as Bach (for example), that\'s really cool!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

As long as you\'re in C (or whatever key you specify). You have to recompute them for other keys, or they don\'t work. The good thing is, they\'re all text files, so once you know the format, you can just roll your own. And you can dig up some pretty cool ones on the internet.

The tunings in NI products repeat on the octave, so you can\'t really, completely emulate some of the more esoteric tunings. That said, they\'re fun. I put in a request that they also recognize full-range tables, too, but I don\'t know where it is on the priority list--extremely low, I suspect, haha. I like the Wendy Carlos tunings a lot--very \"Beauty in the Beast.\" They sound weird, but make highly consonant clusters...

p.s. All the NI soft-synths have this feature, by the way. I think it first showed up in Pro-5. B4 may be an exception...I never looked, but there\'s not much demand for Wendy Carlos hammonds....

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Michael,
    Is your piano equal or stretch tuning? I\'m assuming equal so is there a stretch program?
    From what Bruce says, the Kontakt microtunings are an octave of retuning copied accross the keyboard (same as Cubase) so you couldn\'t do stretch with this.
    Not really important, just curious.

Brian

The PMI Bos290 piano is tuned in stretched equal-tempered tuning with justly tuned fifths and slightly wider octaves. A piano tuned this way will sound better together with violins, for example, which are generally tuned using beatless fifths. The wider octaves in the stretched tuning are generally prefered. In fact, all intervals seem to be closer to those preferred by most people. Also, if you play an arpeggio on a piano with stretched tuning, the final note will sound just right, whereas in an ordinary strict equal-tempered tuning you may get the impression of not reaching all the way. The stretched tuning with justly tuned fifths really ought to be the new reference in Western music.
    You can see the manual I wrote about the inharmonicity on my website:
    INHARMONICITY

The main idea here is represented in this picture:

Brian,

I think Michiel\'s piano tech is responsible for the tuning, and the stretching is mapped as is to the sampler (he can confirm or correct that). You could, in theory, use per sample tuning. It\'s the menu-based tuning tables which currently repeat at the octaves.

Go Back to forum