• Register
  • Help

Topic: March of the Elves revisited

Share/Bookmark

March of the Elves revisited

Over a year ago I lost the original Finale file for this song but I was lucky enough to have the original recording. I finally sat down and rewrote the piece from scratch, this time for Wind Ensemble. I still like the original for Orchestra better but at least I have the song back.

Original - http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...he%20Elves.mp3

New - http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...ale%202012.mp3

Note, for some reason I am having a problem getting Finale 2012 to bring out the percussion more. I tweak and tweak but to no avail...thus a WIP again...
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: March of the Elves revisited

Quite a jolly tune there, Mitch! I like the woods version (new one) more, it's cleaner and more defined in the sound. The orchestra version is muddied a little perhaps with the strings.

Also sounded very like a Sousa style march. Good work.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

This made my day!! Nice tune, great rendering, goofy orchestration. How do you guys do that? Give the strings a bit more juice. Don't alter the reverb, please. It is enough, says the guy who hates hollywood reverbed songs.

Nice tune to end the day, it is almost midnight here,

Raymond
    [PS. playing it the 2nd time, just for fun]

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Over a year ago I lost the original Finale file for this song but I was lucky enough to have the original recording. I finally sat down and rewrote the piece from scratch, this time for Wind Ensemble. I still like the original for Orchestra better but at least I have the song back.

Original - http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...he%20Elves.mp3

New - http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...ale%202012.mp3

Note, for some reason I am having a problem getting Finale 2012 to bring out the percussion more. I tweak and tweak but to no avail...thus a WIP again...
    It's a sad story - losing the original Finale file - that ends happily. As much work as it must have been, you did a superb job of re-creating the piece, Mitch. Oh I love it - Definitely think it suits the wind ensemble very nicely. As for percussion disappearing Finale, I've seen that complaint several times. It must be tricky - I would think just pushing some sliders in the program's mixers, percussion up, all else down, would do it - But I'm not a Finale user, it must be more difficult than in most programs.

Great stuff - Thanks, Mitch!

Randy

Uplifting, fun composition. I liked both versions you recorded.

I actually prefer the more recent version - it feels more agile. I'm loving both though. Thanks for sharing.
    David

I enjoyed both versions but really appreciate that artfulness of the Wind version. Though I just tried listening again before posting this and the link did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    I enjoyed both versions but really appreciate that artfulness of the Wind version. Though I just tried listening again before posting this and the link did not work.
    Sorry about link not working...computer failure...but it's better now.

Thanks everyone for you great comments. Glad you all like the work.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Mitch! I tried yesterday to hear this but I was not able to get it. I tried again today and was pleased to get a listen of your music. I know what it is like to lose notation for music. I have done that more than once. In fact, I have done it more than 20 times. (I get pretty sloppy sometimes). I basically had to listen to my audio files and transcribe the music. It was quite a pain. Back to your music, it is fun to listen to because it is so 'happy'. The rhythmic motion of it is well maintained throughout. I am trying to broaden the scope of my writing and listening to this has a positive impact and what can be done. Thanks a lot for your post. Jay

Go Back to forum