• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Are your ears 24-bit ready?

Share/Bookmark

Are your ears 24-bit ready?

OK here\'s another one of those funny tests. This time I want you to tell me if you can hear the difference between 24-bit wav, 16-bit wav, 320kbps MP3 and 192kbps MP3.

The RAR-file including 4 24-bit WAV files can be found here: http://www.simonravn.com/media/NS-24bit-V1.rar

So which is which? One is the original 24-bit wav, another is a 16-bit wav derived from that and two are MP3\'s. Everything is QLSO, bounced directly to a 24-bit file with no processing. There are plenty of cymbals, gongs and roomy percussion in it. It\'s only 25 seconds long.

Please, no analyzing, that will definitely ruin the fun. Mail me results at melo@marble-eyes.dk - thanks!

Re: Are your ears 24-bit ready?

Simon
    I love these pop quizzes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Regardless of which is which, the fact remains that even the most compressed example (that would be about a 15-20 times smaller file, no?) sounds great.
    My guesses are...

1.... 16 bit
    2.... 320 mp3
    3.... 192 mp3
    4.... 24 bit original

mind you with the exception of \"3\" (watch, I\'ll be way off!) they are virtually indistinguishable to me. Then again I am a victim of many years of Marshall stack abuse.

look forward to the answers

by the way nice sounding piece there too

cb

Great Christian.

Now, I would really like to get some more answers (I have 4 so far) - eagerly awaiting answers from the likes of Esteso, Doug Rogers and a certain mr. Bruce Richardson.

I think 1. is Zimmer
    2. iss Elfman on his Mac
    3. is Williams on a 3x86pc
    and 4 is Newman on his Nokia 6610

Do I win a car?!!!!!!!

which newman?! alfred, tom or randy?!

Do I win a car?!!!!!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, what\'s the prize for winning this contest anyways? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Has Bruce done the test yet?

Alfred

This is exciting! I have private messaged my guesses to Simon. I can only make out two for certain and those are both mp3s. If I am not mistaken [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

People who have time to listen to people\'s music should have time to take this test, as it IS new music by Simon and only 35 seconds long.

Thomas

No, Bruce hasn\'t shown up yet.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by MarkusH:
    which newman?! alfred, tom or randy?!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary

Go Back to forum