• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard disk nightmare- Please tell me I am not screwed!

Share/Bookmark

Hard disk nightmare- Please tell me I am not screwed!

I\'ve just built a new computer and have all my data on 4 HD\'s from the old computer. The HD\'s are are controlled by a Promise 133 card. Everything was working great. I started installing various drivers and rebooted the computer a few times when I noticed that only my C drive was being displayed in my Computer and not my 3 other disks ( D, E, and F). Upon investigation within the storage manager, it turns out that my other 3 disks are somehow showing up as Dynamic disks and not Basic disks and are now unreadable. Of course if I now try and convert the disks back to Basic, my data would be lost. Am I totally screwed now? I don\'t even want to say how inpotant the data is on those disks. I even made backups of SX2 projects on all 3 disks....just to be safe. How can the 3 disks suddenly change to Dynamic. Someone please tell me there will be a way to recover my data.

Thanks

Sean

Re: Hard disk nightmare- Please tell me I am not screwed!

Wow, I forgot that I switched just from XP Professional to XP Home edition. Only Profession reads Dynamic. DOH! I guess I\'ll now have to switch back over to Professional on my music computer and use the home edition on my Internet compter. WOW, what a pain........at least I know my dadt is safe, though. I almost had a heart-attack! WHEWWW!!!

Remain careful now,

You wouldn\'t be the first one to ruin his data in the aftermath of such a scary experience.

Take care,

Peter

I\'m still shaking as I type. I\'m re-loading XP Professional and will not feel totally safe until I see my beautiful disks come to life. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Good luck, man. Looks like you\'ve got things under control. Scary stuff.

If you bring in a disk from another 2000/XP machine and connected it to a different 2000/XP machine, you\'d have to right-click the disk name in Disk Management and select \"Import Foreign Disks...\" before the new Windows host will recognize the disks and become readable.

Also, if you right-click on the disk name, there is an option called \"Revert to Basic Disk.\" This will convert a Dynamic Disk back to Basic Disk.

The system drive C: defaults to Basic on mine, and my data disks are dynamic, but I had to do the \"Import Foreign Disks...\"

>Of course if I now try and convert the disks back to Basic, my data would be lost.

No you won\'t.

Hi Quantum7,

I would recommend you to first disconnect all
    your non-system drives before you do your
    upgrade back to XP Pro. When you are done
    upgrading, you should add the hard drives
    back one at a time. It is better to be slow
    then sorry :-)

If you get your data back, maybe it would be the right time to backup all the really important things on an external drive or make DVD-R backups!?

>Of course if I now try and convert the disks back to Basic, my data would be lost.

>No you won\'t.

Hmmm....that\'s what the warning tells me. No matter anyhow because I\'ve reverted back to XP Professional.
    -------------------------------

Thanks for the \"foreign disk import\' tip, Owl.
    --------------------------
    Good idea Paulamone! Thanks!
    ----------------------------
    Yes, it\'s time for a DVD burner

Thank you all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sean

Go Back to forum