• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Need help, online shopping TROUBLES!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Need help, online shopping TROUBLES!

Hi all,
    I\'m writing what happened to me today because I really need to get more opinions/ideas on the subject:

in December 2002 I ordered the SoundBlock Daughterboard for my K2500x (Piano ROM+daughterboard, item code: RMB-P2) from a web site I won\'t specify now to keep it respectfully anonymous. This web site pro audio dealer had that item in its CLEARANCE section, there was just one item left and the price was discounted: 172.00USD instead of the usual 199.00USD.

I ordered it with an online transaction and after some days the package arrives at mine. When I open it I notice that they have sent me a RM2-P2 Contemporary ROM for K2500x even if the STICKER LABEL (placed by the dealer for its storage archiving and management) reported: K2500x DAUGHTERBOARD ROM RMB-P2. So the label was exactly related to the product I ordered but the package contents were different, basically: a mislabelled box.

I didn\'t loose time and contacted the dealer, reporting the problem: they tell me to send the package back at theirs so that they will send a TRUE RMB-P2. I point out that I would have sent the RM2-P2 AFTER the right RMB-P2 arrived at mine. The dealer also agrees in sending the right RMB-P2 without charging for product or shipping additional costs, and it also tells me their DHL account number so that I could have use it when sending the wrong package back in order not to pay for that shipping as well.

Today the right RMB-P2 arrives here but the couriers tells me I have to pay CUSTOMS FEES because the dealer wrote on the item specs that its cost was 172.00USD. With such a big price, customs fees are applied and charged to me, so I had to pay.

I payed and after that I sent my bank account informations in order to have a wire transfer from the dealer as a refund for shipping costs I payed. Here is what the dealer replied:

\"Please note that all customs fees and taxes are the responsibility of
    the buyer. We do not take care of them.
    We just charge for the value of the items and the shipping charges.\"

here is my reply: \"this is quite surprising and leave me a bit astonished: at the end, I will have payed taxes 2 times, while I will just have 1 object in my hands. i find it really hard and weird to believe that a mistake that has not been generated by me is going to be payed by me. I don\'t want to think that F___ C______ has to pay customs taxes (also if it was the natural thing I was already thinking about, sort of automatic thought) but it is a sure thing that it was not me for sure.

basically please I would like you to think about this: I am going to pay for a mistake I did not commit. With all the respects I always owe you, I would like to discuss such a thing which I believe really unfair. is it just my point of view?\".

I really need help on this as I don\'t feel this to be a fair way to deal with a customer. I still have the wrong RM2-P2 in my possession.

Thanks in advance for having read such a long post,
    Alberto

Re: OT: Need help, online shopping TROUBLES!

ciao Alberto
    Let me tell you that you found a very good dealer who is willing to replace your card without having back the old one. I dont know Italian Legislation, but looking at it from the other side of the alps (switzerland) it looks perfectly ok to me. Import tax is something you have to pay to your government and not to the dealer. So if you want any return for reexported goods, you have to get your money back from your tax authorities. Legaly speaking you imported two cards (and both are in your hands now) and therefore the state wants his taxes. The only alternative would have been to send your card back (with customs declaration) and ask the dealer to send the new card as a warranty replacement with value zero. Then, your customs might ask you to proofe the export of the \"defective\" goods prior to accept duty free import.
    If the value is worth the trouble, call customs an ask for the procedure to get tax refund and make shure you declare your export accordingly.
    Good luck
    fmfgs

The only alternative would have been to send your card back (with customs declaration) and ask the dealer to send the new card as a warranty replacement with value zero. Then, your customs might ask you to proofe the export of the \"defective\" goods prior to accept duty free import.
    If the value is worth the trouble, call customs an ask for the procedure to get tax refund and make shure you declare your export accordingly.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is what happened: I told them to REPLACE the piece with the correct one, and we spent a couple emails in which I was specifying that it was not my intention to pay additional money as I already paied what I had to. They once again made the mistake in not specifying the order as a replacement. I was not going to send the wrong card back first, as I trusted in the dealer by providing my credit card numbers, so they had to trust in me the second time and send the right card back first. Hope to have been clear enough,

thanks for the help,
    Alberto

The ONLY time this issue is avoided is when you purchase clear educational materials like books, study scores, etc. Here, when filling out the customs forms we write EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS very clearly. Another situation is if it\'s NFR software, in which case the OEM clearly states that the item has $0 value.

When shipping hardware and software, we are required by law, through the USPS or an International carrier to state the value of the item in US Dollars, since the item is being shipped from the US.

For nearly all International orders, we either ship USPS Global Express or FedEx International Express and the shipping direct to the customer\'s credit card. In this way, all International fees are then clearly handled between the customer and his government.

What\'s the problem with stating the name of the company in question? We ARE the consumers after all and we all should share in our experiences with other companies as a learning tool. The days of me feeling bad about telling it like it is, is long gone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Alberto R.S.:
    I didn\'t loose time and contacted the dealer, reporting the problem: they tell me to send the package back at theirs so that they will send a TRUE RMB-P2. I point out that I would have sent the RM2-P2 AFTER the right RMB-P2 arrived at mine. The dealer also agrees in sending the right RMB-P2 without charging for product or shipping additional costs, and it also tells me their DHL account number so that I could have use it when sending the wrong package back in order not to pay for that shipping as well.

Today the right RMB-P2 arrives here but the couriers tells me I have to pay CUSTOMS FEES because the dealer wrote on the item specs that its cost was 172.00USD. With such a big price, customs fees are applied and charged to me, so I had to pay.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alberto,

What they are doing isn\'t legal in the US. I don\'t know if this company is based in the US, since you haven\'t named them (you should, to help others avoid this), but if they are, contact me privately and I\'ll tell you what to do.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

Go Back to forum