• Register
  • Help

Topic: To drummers: which patch and note in which library contains a rimshot snare drum hit?

Share/Bookmark

To drummers: which patch and note in which library contains a rimshot snare drum hit?

Hello every one,

I wish to know which patch and note in which Garritan Library contains a traditional rimshot on snare drum sound?
    I own COMB2, JABB3, GPO4, Steinway and World Instrument.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: To drummers: which patch and note in which library contains a rimshot snare drum

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Hello every one,

I wish to know which patch and note in which Garritan Library contains a traditional rimshot on snare drum sound?
    I own COMB2, JABB3, GPO4, Steinway and World Instrument.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Fred.
    Hey Fred,

It's there 'cause I've used it, but I'll have to get back to you exactly where it is (unless someone beats me to it), but it's in the JABB library with the drum sets.

I have one patch I wish the libraries had: hitting sticks together. That's why I had to use the rim shot in one chart because there wasn't any patch for hitting sticks. I'll get back to you with the specific as soon as I can, but I bet Randy will probably jump in here soon.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: To drummers: which patch and note in which library contains a rimshot snare drum

Hey Fred,

The Rim Shot is C# just shy of 2 octaves below middle C in the Classic and Fusion Drum Kits in JABB (midi note #37). Hope this helps!

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

The other place to look is in COMB2
    VDL Snare Line is good. Try C3 and D3 and also F4 and G4.
    Also try VDL Tenor Line KS.
    The load up key switch is good for many suitable sharp "cracks".
    They're both in 02 Drum Lines.

There's a stack of rim shots, clicks,double-stops, buzz rolls and other effects.
    One of them should do the trick.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    The other place to look is in COMB2
    VDL Snare Line is good. Try C3 and D3 and also F4 and G4.
    Also try VDL Tenor Line KS.
    The load up key switch is good for many suitable sharp "cracks".
    They're both in 02 Drum Lines.

There's a stack of rim shots, clicks,double-stops, buzz rolls and other effects.
    One of them should do the trick.

Regards,
    John.
    Yep, I just found that, too! Thanks John! Now, anybody find two sticks hitting together?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    ...anybody find two sticks hitting together?
    Gary
    Here's a DIY (Do It Yourself) project:

At the great Freesound site, I found this recording of drums sticks being hit together. You can download the file, slice out a hit or two in an audio editor like Audacity, then drag the clip(s) into ARIA--Remember that with the current ARIA, you can drag .wav files in and a make-shift SFZ file is made instantly. You could edit the results to limit the stick hits to one or two keys wherever you want, and for convenience, have them set to the same MIDI channel as your JABB drums:

Drums Sticks

To access and download files from Freesound, you just need to sign up for free. In my old "Tip of the week" series, I mentioned Freesound as an excellent source for audio projects - I use it all the time.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Here's a DIY (Do It Yourself) project:

At the great Freesound site, I found this recording of drums sticks being hit together. You can download the file, slice out a hit or two in an audio editor like Audacity, then drag the clip(s) into ARIA--Remember that with the current ARIA, you can drag .wav files in and a make-shift SFZ file is made instantly. You could edit the results to limit the stick hits to one or two keys wherever you want, and for convenience, have them set to the same MIDI channel as your JABB drums:

Drums Sticks

To access and download files from Freesound, you just need to sign up for free. In my old "Tip of the week" series, I mentioned Freesound as an excellent source for audio projects - I use it all the time.

Randy
    Randy to the rescue again. Thank you so much my friend!!!

Gary

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm using the C# sound in the "fusion drum kit" patch from JABB.

The current project on which I am for concert band will rock.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum