• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Silly children's music

Share/Bookmark

Re: Silly children\'s music

Jon, I REALLY enjoyed that...very inventive, amusing, light hearted emotion.....NOT silly. I MUCH prefer this to your 21st century discordant quartet.....THIS is what I call silly! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is superbly matched to your cute little story. It makes such a change from the percusive, stereotypical film music everyone seems to do. Whether it\'s Beethoven or Mozart or you, I really enjoy music playing around a theme (mental candy) and your catchy central theme is delightful. It\'s almost as if you were imagining a cartoon accompaniment! Good and appropriate orchestration too.

I thought I detected the mood of Russian folk music sometimes....Excellent.

Why don\'t you do some more and put it on a CD. Someone reading the story with this as the background music. What are you like at cartooning [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I second Alan....I very much hope I can attain this level of competence. Did you have to do any MIDI tweaking to achieve this mostly impressive realism?

Frank

Thanks everybody,

*** Riggs - The baby chicks are doing fine. They\'re off to the children\'s zoo next week :-)

*** Alan - And if I can ever learn to do straight-up Jazz like you, we\'ll be a force!

*** Frank - I\'m glad you enjoyed the theme - and the various uses of it. To be honest one of the reasons that I often find it easier to work in a more discordant style is that I\'m pretty sure that I haven\'t ripped off whole sections of music. With this one I have a nagging fear that somebody will point out some music that\'s note for note with this one.

But I\'m with you 100% on the use of themes, be they melodies, rhythms, textures, whatever. Regardless of style, that\'s what gives meaning to music. (Film cues get some leniency, if they support the picture, e.g. the single, held note. Just don\'t make me listen to an album of it!)

As for MIDI tweaking, here\'s my process:
    * I entered the notes in Sibelius (step time)
    * I entered numerous articulation changes. (pizz, marcato, detache, spiccato, tremolo, etc.) I made great use of Kirk\'s Gypsy violin. It screams! It\'s easy to enter the patch changes in Sibelius.
    * I entered the expression text (pp-ff). This creates the first level mix.
    * I entered the metronome text, ritardandos, accelerandos and fermatas for the tempo.

It actually sounded darn good at this point, just using the standard Giga reverb. All that score stuff above tweaks the MIDI. And I had enabled \"espressivo\" in Sibelius, which subtely varies the velocities automatically. But it lacked a \"sheen\".

Next I exported the MIDI to Cakewalk. Here I figured out how to record just the expression control from my keyboard. So I recorded myself \"playing the fader\" for each track. I was able to soften attacks, quicken or lengthen decays and add swells. It\'s not as obvious as in a dynamic Sam Horns piece, but it\'s there. And not being obvious can be good.

Finally, I captured the individual tracks to wave and mixed as written above.

So, yeah, there were MIDI tweaks, but they were done at the score level for the most part. And the expression was played live. I *didn\'t* tweak the timing. It\'s all quantized, but the various attacks of the samples make it reasonably acceptable. And the durations are mechanically held until the next note/rest. But the expression control helps this on the longer notes. Besides, I can\'t play 16th notes at 160bpm smoothly. My fingers lag and lead like a three-legged dog. But I can play a mean fader!

But the real trick was using KHSS and making use of its articulations. (And, no, Kirk pays me nothing to write this :-)

Barbecued chicken anyone?

Jon, Thanks a lot for \'skinning the chicken\' for all of us to see inside. I am here to tell you that all your hard work was worthwhile as it WAS very realistic and authentic sounding. More grease to your (chicken) elbow.

I was impressed with the KHS....however it\'s too late for me...I\'m waiting for the postman to drop GPO! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keep up the good work....we always hear something different from you.

Frank

Ha Ha Ha, I love it!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good news about the chickens...Yay.

Its a really good piece of music Jon,
    listened to it about 8 times now. Cant get it out of my head...lol

I like how it changes to reflect the idea behind the story.

Fantastic... Thankyou

Silly children\'s music

I remeber being about six years old when my mom would play The Maple Leaf Rag really fast, and us kids would run around like headless chickens. If you can recall how you reacted to music as a child, maybe you\'ll enjoy this.

http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/music/TheKingsChickens.html

Imagine Prokofiev, Copeland and a String Quintet getting together and acting silly. Enjoy it like you were six.

For your parents: I composed this with Sibelius 3.0 using KHSS and one G-Town stomp. I did the tempo (critical to this piece!) and major dynamics with Sibelius, and then exported the MIDI to Cakewalk, where I recorded the envelopes in real time. I rendered the individual voices to wav, and mixed in Vegas, applying Acoustic Mirror to the overall mix. I used a touch of EQ on Violin 1, the cello and bass. Normalization was done at the mix level (find the peak, adjust the master accordingly). There\'s no compression.

When you\'re done listening, don\'t forget to put away your toys, and straighten up anything you might have knocked over.

Poor chickens..

Oh well the music is really good [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I used to work for a theme park may moons ago,
    there were various \"areas\" for children...This would suit them all.

Jon,

just amazing how you mix and emulated those strings..so authentic..I hope that one day I can\'t reach a stage of writing strings like that and get to use my EWQLSO collection to its fullest

Alan Russell

Jon,

I meant to say earlier that I am surprised that your piece sounds so realistic when fully quantized. Amazing!

Frank

Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
    Jon, I REALLY enjoyed that...very inventive, amusing, light hearted emotion.....NOT silly. I MUCH prefer this to your 21st century discordant quartet.....THIS is what I call silly! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What??? No way *this* one\'s definitly more silly than spider! Spider! was great!!! I still remember every note from it (well almost...)
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Jon, gimme that dark sound once again! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum